Rochon: Could Mississauga Ever Be Sexy?

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Could Mississauga ever, ever be sexy?

LISA ROCHON

The Globe and Mail

November 17, 2007

MISSISSAUGA -- You may recall Mississauga as that sleepy expanse of suburbia where teenage girls would travel from outposts like Toronto and Oakville to purchase cheap blouses at a gigantic shopping centre. A city provoked into being not because of a historic mill operation or military fort but because of the construction of Square One. A development-happy place where the last cornfield has been transformed into cookie-cutter housing.

Is it possible to imagine someplace so overwhelmingly bland and generic transforming into a great city?

Short answer, no. Long answer, yes.

The short answer is that it's too late to retrieve a place that fell hard for the standard American model of suburban life, a model based on highways and lack of public transportation initiated by the Ontario government during the 1960s, and blessed over the last three decades by the local government of Mayor Hazel McCallion and her small and obedient council.

And, besides, who are we to presume that Mississaugans want a walkable, more delightful and possibly disordered city? Jobs are plentiful, streets are safe, and there is a virtual United Nations of people efficiently accommodated in a variety of housing, from high-rise apartments to townhouses to single-family houses with double garages. It works. Leave it alone.

For decades, it's been convenient to ignore Mississauga as Toronto's soporific bedroom community. Except that, turns out, strong coffee is percolating in the hinterland. With a population of 700,000, Mississauga has become difficult to ignore: It is Canada's sixth-largest city, with at least as many jobs as people in the labour force.

And there's a quiet revolution taking place there. Teenagers meeting with Mississauga planners are expressing a desire for a vibrant downtown that comes with clubs and restaurants. A thousand people have turned out each week over the last four Tuesdays for an ongoing speakers' series, called A Conversation About Building a City for the 21st Century, at Mississauga's Living Arts Centre.

Urban visionaries - Copenhagen designer and author Jan Gehl, influential Vancouver planner Larry Beasley, as well as Justin Trudeau, Stephen Lewis and Roberta Bondar - have been invited to trigger an outpouring of creative thinking about city-building among locals.

The lecture series is part of an impressively ambitious program facilitated by Office for Urbanism, a Toronto-based urban-design studio, that will include a three-day workshop for citizens in February. Electrifying, high-volume civic boosterism is at work in Mississauga.

After every lecture, the tireless McCallion - once the mother of sprawl, now the chief cheerleader of a sustainable city - punches the air with her fist, her eyes burn a fearsome blue, and she calls for the people in the audience to send her their dreams, not their nightmares.

For decades, Mississauga has provided an alternative to the intensity of urban life. Few outsiders realize it is huge - about five times the footprint of Manhattan - an artificial composition of such charming historic towns as Port Credit and Streetsville, with lots of faceless stuff in between.

Its industrial parklands isolate buildings - and people - from each other. In the downtown, architecture tends to be brick-clad anonymous constructions, or frothy and sweet: overly embellished and nostalgic.

Currently there are no height restrictions in the downtown and, although city planners are insisting on greater investment in the public realm, developers have been essentially free to build anonymous towers with little attention to the street. Reflecting glass is bad enough. But when it's pink reflecting glass, it becomes all-out aesthetic warfare.

Two events during the mid-1970s proved critical to Mississauga's viability: The first was the arrival in Toronto of David Crombie's reform government and the decision to prevent the construction of high-rise towers in its downtown through what was called the 45-foot-holding bylaw. Exit developers of high-rises to the 905 region.

The other watershed event was the massive exodus of anglophones and corporations from Montreal following the 1976 election of René Lévesque's Parti Québécois. Mississauga's low property taxes and free parking enticed. And a general complacency around architectural quality helped to lure manufacturers and head offices.

Today, at least half of Mississauga's population was born outside Canada.

During one of my visits there this week, I stopped in at a Polish bakery in a neighbourhood mall surrounded by shops catering to immigrants from India and Pakistan. The video store had no end of both Hollywood and Bollywood films.

Among urban intellectuals, it is common practice to sneer at Mississauga as a place of white-bread culture and low, sprawling density. In fact, what's remarkable about the place is that it boasts among the highest densities of any suburban community in North America, according to the distinguished urban-planning academic Larry Bourne. And, unlike communities that show little interest in transforming into vibrant cities, the people at the front lines (and behind the scenes) in Mississauga are determined to bring dramatic change.

Okay, now the long answer to Mississauga's chance at hitting urban greatness. And it depends on a single word: willingness.

McCallion's willingness was most recently encapsulated by a special 5-per-cent infrastructure levy.. Mississauga's urban designers are currently acting on the recommendations of a platoon of hired advisers, including the hotshot Project for Public Spaces consultants from New York.

One of their key recommendations was to animate existing spaces by the power of 10: "In every public space that we have, we should be thinking about 10 things that people can do." Bring the experiences - whether skating or public art - to the street; bring down the brick walls enclosing city-hall square.

Based on such recommendations, says Ed Sajecki, Mississauga's commissioner of planning and building, a request for capital expenditures has been made. And my bet is that the money will be handed over to Sajecki's team.

Three things need to happen in order to move Mississauga from a job-rich place of ugliness to a city that matters. First, cut into the enormous grid of streets to create shorter blocks and narrower streets, an industry standard for the world's most walkable cities, from San Francisco to Paris to Cairo. Ways to do this in Mississauga are currently being worked out by Toronto's Urban Design Strategies and the Florida-based designers and transportation planners Glatting Jackson.

Second, demand excellence in architecture - the kind that connects meaningfully and elegantly to the street, and creates towers of enduring materials. Anybody who doesn't make the cut can take a hike.

Third, invest heavily in the public realm. Sajecki understands this: "It's not about how dense you make it, but how you make it dense."

During his keynote presentation this week in Mississauga, Danish designer Gehl insisted that engaging all the senses is impossible when moving at the speed of a car. At 60 kilometres an hour, little is expected from the haptic, sensory experience: blossoming trees to alert our sense of smell; the feel of granite or grass underfoot; the potential for benches and fences to be beautifully crafted.

"There is something called 'humanscape,' " said Gehl. "We are born as a walking animal - we are slow, we are linear, we can move a maximum of five kilometres an hour. ... How we move, how our senses work, all of these elementary things go with being a human being. ... But there is another scale only 50 years old, and this is the 60 kilometres-an-hour scale."

Following four decades of research, numerous books and careful observation of cities and suburbs, Gehl's conclusion is this: "Slow is beautiful, small is beautiful and low is beautiful."

Are we excited for Mississauga that a shapely tower nicknamed the Marilyn Monroe is coming to town? In part, yes. The architect, Yansong Ma, belongs to a handful of emerging Chinese designers, educated in the West and having trained with a starchitect. In his case, Ma completed graduate studies at Yale before going on to work with London-based Zaha Hadid.

Ma's spiralling glass tower won an international design competition launched by Cityzen, the developers of the Absolute City Centre of which Marilyn is the showpiece: a five-tower complex located at the corner of thoroughfares Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario, across from Square One, in downtown Mississauga.

But don't expect the sexy, 56-storey showpiece to instantly transform Mississauga into an urbane, dynamic city. For one thing, how the building meets the street was originally presented as an awkward strip of townhouses that looked glue-gunned onto poor Marilyn. Bad shoes, in other words, on great legs. Sajecki is promising that the city will get it right and, on that front, has called in British architect Will Alsop to fix the ground floor. Wait for it: Many eyes are fixed upon the total body of the tower.

Meanwhile, the city is adding more buses to an already impressive service in order to seduce more people to use public transit. And it has applied for funding from the Ontario government for a light-rail transit system to run the length of Hurontario, a major piece of infrastructure that could cost some $700-million. Such is the kind of investment that major cities throughout the Western world have already made. More public transit that runs through pleasurable landscapes is vital if Mississauga wants to convert into an accessible, more sustainable land mass.

I'm sitting in my car waiting to turn onto one of Mississauga's yawning boulevards. An older man with a mop of white hair veers off the sidewalk to sidle up for conversation. He's interested in my SmartCar, so we chat about the marvels of the vehicle and the way he spends his day wandering the streets of Mississauga, feeding the birds. Then he upsets the pleasant rhythm of our chat to assert that Jesus Christ is the Lord Our Saviour. And he asks me this question: "Are you born again?"

I have to disappoint him, but he raises an interesting point. It strikes me that McCallion is exactly that: a born-again Mississaguan who has seen the light. And now she is repenting for tripping down the path of sleepy suburbia. Following another path - one that is tree-lined and nicely detailed with granite cobblestones, tight enough in scale to allow people to notice each other - has become her new religion.

And that of a whole lot of people who worship the idea of a great city.

lrochon@globeandmail.com

Well once past the obligatory snarkiness and snootiness in the first few paragraphs, Rochon actually offers something worth reading to those who have the patience. Glad to see especially that she acknowledges the density, which compares to many older cities and is continuing to increase. Short blocks and animated pedestrian routes is what the new development in the City Centre is about.

Will Alsop to fix Marilyn base

Great article, not just because it presented Mississauga's future in an overly positive light, but because as it pointed out there is a host of innovative and real initiatives taking place all over Mississauga.

I also attend that conversation speaker series, and I must say they were truly inspiring events. Citizens packed the Living Arts Centre each night to hear from speakers on how we can transform Mississauga.

I believe the entire speakers series will be posted online soon at: http://www.conversation21.ca/

The part about the city inviting Will Alsop to fix the ground floor of the Marilyn Monroe is news and thrilling news to me.

Louroz

Is it possible to imagine someplace so overwhelmingly bland and generic transforming into a great city?

Short answer, no. Long answer, yes.

I would say, short answer, no. Long answer, no.

Rochon is right that narrower streets and shorter blocks are key elements... as is willingness. That is a lot more difficult and requires a lot more political will than allowing for supertall condos, a little park and coffee shop here and there, etc. Is there truly the will to transform Mississauga from a bland suburb into a bustling urban environment. I can't think of a precedent and I would bet the answer is 'no'... at least in our lifetimes.

Mississauga can set the Precedent

There isn’t a precedent for Mississauga to aspire to, however you have to admire and should support the city’s energy and commitment to change and improve its built environment for the future.

As Rochon pointed out there is a citywide rethink taking place and its hard to simply ignore and brush off as window dressing. For the first time in its history, the politicians, developers, corporations and most importantly citizens are all engaged and on the same page.

Mississauga could be the very place where it can succeed and set the precedent itself for other world cities.

Louroz

This was an interesting article. I am probably one of those people who are too quick to assume that the suburbs are white bread and uniform. I forget how diverse the suburbs have become in the last few years -- new immigrants are as eager as anyone for bigger houses and lawns.

However, I also have difficulty envisioning Mississauga ever transforming into anything with a true urban character or core. The main reason I think it will never happen is because most people move to Mississauga (and other suburbs) precisely to escape urban density. Most wouldn't want their neighbourhoods urbanized, because that would mean a degradation of the qualities that lured them there in the first place.

People live in the burbs because they want large houses, large lawns, privacy, and plenty of free parking so they can drive and avoid taking transit. These qualities cannot coexist with high density living and walkable neighbourhoods, at least not in a way that I've ever seen. At most we will see a layering of a few businesses or artificial shopping neighbourhoods that are a superficial imitation of true urban density. At the end of the day, Mississaugans will still want to climb in their cars to drive home from their shopping expeditions to grill burgers in the yard.

The differences between city living and suburban living are a matter of drastically differing ideals and priorities, not physical geography, which is merely a resulting offshoot of those priorities. Much in the way you will rarely convert a devout political conservative into a liberal, or vice-versa, you will rarely convert a suburbanite into an urbanite.

That's a huge stereotype that will probably prove you wrong in the future. The equally impressive condo boom in Mississauga is a prime example of people already embracing urban density.

Louroz

I think it's a big mistake to think that condos imply urban in any way whatsoever.

That's a huge stereotype that will probably prove you wrong in the future. The equally impressive condo boom in Mississauga is a prime example of people already embracing urban density.

Louroz

Louroz

The only part of Mississauga that could ever be urbanized to any great degree is MCC, which is probably about 5% of the total land mass of Mississauga, and even less if you take away Square1 (which ain't goin' anywhere).
The rest of Mississauga, the 95% that isn't MCC, will never be urbanized, at least not in our lifetime. Sure you'll get little bits of density, such as the odd tower in the park, or Paisley Blvd, or the 5 & 10 neighbourhood, but Mississauga is pretty much all built out now at very low densities, with single family homes, cheap townhouse developments, big box retail and malls. The vast majority of the city will always consist of very low densities, pedestrian-less streets, and complete car dependency.
This is not to pick on Mississauga (I'm originally from there) because this applies to every suburb everywhere.

The only part of Mississauga that could ever be urbanized to any great degree is MCC

What about Cooksville, Port Credit, and Streetville?

There is a lot of potential along the Hurontario and Dundas corridors as well, which are getting LRT.

doady:

Indeed - if there are to be saving graces, it's probably going to come from the avenues - however, the city has yet to put forth a vision as to how to utilize this resource. It's shouldn't be all about MCC or Port Credit at all. In fact, there should be more emphasis on medium density and urban design throughout the city - that's something that could potentially improve local transit and give it a sense of place that super-density in MCC cannot offer.

AoD

What about Cooksville, Port Credit, and Streetville?

There is a lot of potential along the Hurontario and Dundas corridors as well, which are getting LRT.

I mentioned 5 & 10, which is Cooksville and I agree it could be further urbanized. As for PC and Streetsville, these are already pretty established neighbourhoods, and the NIMBYism factor against intensification would be huge. But the potential is there. Again, these are just little pockets, the vast majority of the city (and any suburb) will remain unchanged.

Urban Growth Across Mississauga

I believe your minimizing the size and scope of each section of Mississauga. The entire length of Hurontario from Port Credit - Cooksville - City Centre and the Hurontario - Eglinton node is massive and growing urban zone. The city has already declared this an urban growth zone and has put in polices in place to encourage further intensification.

To put it into perspective, that runs the roughly the same length as Yonge Street from Queen's Quay to Eglinton Ave.

This rethink of urban growth is not just limited to the long established communities of Port Credit , Streetsville and the City Centre, but also extends to Clarkson, Lakeview, Erin Mills, Dixie and Malton. Communities across the city are seeing intensification and growth is not just limited to small pockets as you described.

Louroz

Back