News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/850171

Hume: Rob Ford is campaign’s main attraction and sideshow all in one
Published On Thu Aug 19

If Rob Ford were anyone but Rob Ford, his dreams of becoming mayor of Toronto would be dead in the water.

But Rob Ford being what he is, his chances are better than ever.

This is the candidate whose every misstep brings him closer to his constituency. He can avoid the truth, break the rules, say stupid things, get arrested, charged, fined, and it really doesn’t matter to Ford’s supporters.

His opponents and the media can attack him all they like, but Ford’s people couldn’t care less.

Should they? Yes, of course. This is a man who would divide council, polarize the city and embarrass Toronto to no end.

But Ford supporters don’t give a damn. They’re mad as hell and they’re not going to take it any more.

Why should it bother them that in the course of 24 hours he would not tell the truth publicly about facing charges in Florida then state that trust is the only issue in the campaign?

That would have stopped a conventional candidate dead in his tracks. Look at what happened to Adam Giambrone.

Should it bother them that Ford, self-described family-man in a city that he says needs a family-man for mayor, was charged with assaulting his wife, though those charges were later dropped?

Earlier this week, Ford stood in front of the whole city — a city of immigrants — and announced that immigrants are no longer welcome here. Not only that — he got away with it.

Spoken by any other politician, such sentiments would have been the kiss of death. For believers, however, it wasn’t racist cant, but Rob telling it like it is.

Ford’s untruths might be harder to justify, but as he likes to say, “I never said I was perfect.”

No need to remind us of that; no politician has ever worn his limitations on his sleeve more than Ford. The man has made no bones about being a fool, an inarticulate dissembler with a weak grasp on reality, but this is a fool with momentum, a man-child on a mission.

To anyone who inhabits one of Toronto’s parallel non-Fordian universes, the prospect of his mayoralty is downright scary. It would set Toronto back years and make us a laughing stock, even to ourselves.

But again, those who would vote for Ford would not do so despite all this, rather because of it.

The rage against politicians, élites, experts, panels and the entire power structure has reached the point where many Torontonians do in fact trust Ford because they recognize themselves in him. He is angry; so are they. He’s confused; they are too. He feels as threatened by change as they do. He, too, is suspicious of things he doesn’t understand. He also rejects complexity and ambiguity. He is a black-and-white, no-nonsense kind of guy, full of bull and bluster in the tradition of Don Cherry, Harold Ballard, Mel Lastman….

And in a culture of civic impoverishment, Ford’s simple message that he alone is looking after taxpayers’ hard-earned money has great resonance. We’re constantly told we’re poor, and that the reason is our profligate councillors. Because of them, Toronto is broke.

This may be simplistic horse puckey, but so far it has worked. Ford has been the campaign’s major attraction and sideshow all in one.

His opponents will have to hope Ford’s candidacy unravels as revelations come out. But regardless how odious his behaviour has been, nothing has hurt him yet.

In the end, though, the thing about a Ford is that he brings out the worst in everyone, not just rivals. With friends like him, who needs enemies?

as I've said before... the hate and fear candidate. (everyone is out to get him... rather than he has to be responsible for his actions)

ok, so lets get this straight, does Ford have to vacate his council seat to run for mayor? So if things turn out for the best he will not be a part of the next municipal government at all...

I have a sorta related question... but not sure how well it fits in here but I'm going to ask anyhow.. Does the mayor actual have any power? I thought it was about the council and that they do all the voting on policy and what not. Regardless of the mayor wouldn't the council representatives be more important?

as I've said before... the hate and fear candidate. (everyone is out to get him... rather than he has to be responsible for his actions)

ok, so lets get this straight, does Ford have to vacate his council seat to run for mayor? So if things turn out for the best he will not be a part of the next municipal government at all...

Yes, provided he doesn't drop out of the race by (I think) September 9th. He could theoretically withdraw from the mayoral race and run for his council seat, but he's not going to do that given a) his position in polls, b) the money he's already spent in his mayoral campaign would count against the limit for council seat elections, and c) His brother Doug, who looks exactly like him, has declared that he will run for Ford's old seat.

I have a sorta related question... but not sure how well it fits in here but I'm going to ask anyhow.. Does the mayor actual have any power? I thought it was about the council and that they do all the voting on policy and what not. Regardless of the mayor wouldn't the council representatives be more important?

Yes and no. The mayor has more power than he or she used to, thanks to some reforms enacted by Miller. But ultimately it is nearly impossible to do anything substantial without a majority of votes on council. The mayor needs to be a team builder, which Ford certainly is not.

Doesn't the mayor appoint councilors to different committees and boards? Councilors want this because it raises their income and gives them some power. So the councilors will kiss up to him to get appointed. This might also effect how councilors vote. He does have a bit more influence on city council.

There are no "plans" to add 1 million people to the GTA over the next decade, only predictions that this growth may occur. For anyone who doesn't understand the difference between plan and prediction please consult with a dictionary.

They didn't pull this number out of their ass because they were bored. I keep reading about this million plus figure. So I didn't make it up either. And I've lived in this city my entire life. I've witnessed the population explosion.

If they expect a million more people to move into the region then they expect this. I'm not a expert in urban planning or sociology but common sense tells me that you can only add so many people before you hit a wall with trying to sustain the population. This city and region is showing signs with struggling in trying to provide through infrastructure, services, healthcare, etc. for this huge influx of people that shows no sign of letting up.

And our demographics are messed up too. We're not having enough babies to properly replace the population and now we have this huge older population that is just going to cripple our heathcare system further. This doesn't help either. I don't think anyone has a solution for this. Less babies, more older people, more people moving into a region... This doesn't paint a pretty picture down the road.

Am I predicting the collapse of the GTA and saying people are going to starve in the streets? Of course not. What I'm saying is that we have this blindspot regarding population and how it impacts our ability to manage resources and avoiding trouble in the long term. All societies have this weakness. We keep trying to get around limits and assume we can somehow always grow our way out of our own problems.

In my opinion, we need to stabilize populations, not continually grow them. But this would mean changing our thinking regarding infinite economic growth and this isn't going to happen. Not yet.....

Last edited:
They didn't pull this number out of their ass because they were bored. I keep reading about this million plus figure. So I didn't make it up either. And I've lived in this city my entire life. I've witnessed the population explosion.

If they expect a million more people to move into the region then they expect this. I'm not a expert in urban planning or sociology but common sense tells me that you can only add so many people before you hit a wall with trying to sustain the population. This city and region is showing signs with struggling in trying to provide through infrastructure, services, healthcare, etc. for this huge influx of people that shows no sign of letting up.

And our demographics are messed up too. We're not having enough babies to properly replace the population and now we have this huge older population that is just going to cripple our heathcare system further. This doesn't help either. I don't think anyone has a solution for this. Less babies, more older people, more people moving into a region... This doesn't paint a pretty picture down the road.

Am I predicting the collapse of the GTA and saying people are going to starve in the streets? Of course not. What I'm saying is that we have this blindspot regarding population and how it impacts our ability to manage resources and avoiding trouble in the long term. All societies have this weakness. We keep trying to get around limits and assume we can somehow always grow our way out of our own problems.

In my opinion, we need to stabilize populations, not continually grow them. But this would mean changing our thinking regarding infinite economic growth and this isn't going to happen. Not yet.....

I don't understand. Population growth is bad because our infrastructure can't handle it, but we need to have more babies at the same time to support the growing amount of elderly people in this region? Population growth is population growth whether it is due to immigration or an increased birth rate. Somehow cities all over the world manage to cope with growth, in some places much more rapid growth than here, and Toronto itself has grown to accomodate larger and larger populations over time. If we are not keeping up with growth, blame all three levels of government that have starved us of the investment we've needed (and this is not a Toronto-specific thing, even in communities in this country where there's been little to no growth, infrastructure is crumbling and little is being done to fix it), blame voters who think they can keep electing those governments on promises of lower and lower taxes without consequence, blame the fact that this country's constitution is outdated and creates the conditions wherein this lack of investment becomes possible - there's plenty of blame to go around, none of which deserves to be heaped on the laps of newcomers to this country (who provide a convenient scapegoat, I'll admit).

It's kind of like arguing a couple shouldn't have a baby for the sole reason that they don't own a crib. The obvious solution is to go out and buy one.

I might disagree somewhat with the statement about nothing being done to update our infrastructure... sure public transit and especially the subway system in Toronto has been neglected and is on the verge of being inadequate. As far as bridges and surface roads / highways, I have been amazed at the amount of work going on over the past 2-3 years (longer on some major projects) There is a massive expansion of the QEW highway underway between Burlington and Mississauga, QEW expansion through St Catharines is almost complete, the Niagara tunnel project that will help generate more hydro electricity, widening of the rail corridors through Toronto is well underway, the realignment of Dufferin/Queen intersection to name just a few. I've seen dozens of bridges and roads being renovated and brought up to proper standards. As much as I'd like to complain about the upper levels of govenment I think this is one thing that they have done well with (especially in the last couple years as one of the areas that received stimulus spending)

As for the population issue, tkip is right that our birth rates are dangerously low here but that is the whole motivation for bringing more immigration into the country. One of the characteristics of capitalism is that it requires a constantly growing population. And if we were able to increase the population densities of our cities with this influx of people it makes it more efficient to deliver public services including expansion of subway systems. The fear however as others have mentioned is that more farmland will be eaten up building sprawling subdivisions to accomodate them...

Last edited:
Liberals launch powerful new ad campaign to win votes for George Smitherman! From the Purple and White Leaflet being handed out around town we learn this.

“George Smitherman delivers for Toronto,” proclaims the purple and white leaflet, promising to “stop the waste and make city hall work for you.”

Gosh. He sure does sound like one helluva great candidate to me. Who writes this crap?

I don't understand. Population growth is bad because our infrastructure can't handle it, but we need to have more babies at the same time to support the growing amount of elderly people in this region? Population growth is population growth whether it is due to immigration or an increased birth rate. Somehow cities all over the world manage to cope with growth, in some places much more rapid growth than here, and Toronto itself has grown to accomodate larger and larger populations over time. If we are not keeping up with growth, blame all three levels of government that have starved us of the investment we've needed (and this is not a Toronto-specific thing, even in communities in this country where there's been little to no growth, infrastructure is crumbling and little is being done to fix it), blame voters who think they can keep electing those governments on promises of lower and lower taxes without consequence, blame the fact that this country's constitution is outdated and creates the conditions wherein this lack of investment becomes possible - there's plenty of blame to go around, none of which deserves to be heaped on the laps of newcomers to this country (who provide a convenient scapegoat, I'll admit).

It's kind of like arguing a couple shouldn't have a baby for the sole reason that they don't own a crib. The obvious solution is to go out and buy one.
Exactly. We could easily accommodate population growth quite well, if we got off our ass and plan and build the infrastructure and the city that we need today, rather than what we needed 30 years ago. I consider an extra 1 million people in the city within a decade a good thing. It means that if we started to do more planning, we could redevelop vast parts of the city while keeping said development viable and not redundant.

I'm getting more frightened by Rob Ford by the day. But thankfully, it seems to me that his chances of winning are starting to drop.

Back