News   Jun 26, 2024
 43     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Rob Ford and Pride

That's not what he was saying at all. Come On.

What he said made no sense, though. How is Caribana a "black event"? Please explain this to me. The parade does not celebrate black culture. It celebrates CARIBBEAN culture. So I don't get the link he's trying to make between Caribana and Pride.

so Ford didn't attend the gay pride, therefore he is guilty of "discrimination"?
Yes.

Where did the discrimination come from?
Most people get this kind of bigotry from their church, or their parents, orboth.

Can he be just not interested in the gay parade itself?
Sure ... but that does make it hard to explain why he seems to march in just about every other parade in the city. Where it become clear though, is that he boycotted the flag raising, at his own office, when he was available and in-town. I never mentioned the parade earlier.

Your logic is extremely weird.
And yet you are the one who seems to be working very hard to justify a bigot whose anti-gay views are well known. Do you also oppose same-sex marriage?

What he said made no sense, though. How is Caribana a "black event"? Please explain this to me. The parade does not celebrate black culture. It celebrates CARIBBEAN culture. So I don't get the link he's trying to make between Caribana and Pride.

And when did imply the black event I said refers to Caribana? It is you guys' imagination.
Plus, picking on the terminology misses my point that Ford is not responsible to attend each and every cultural event for minority groups otherwise he is labeled "discrimination".

Plus, picking on the terminology misses my point that Ford is not responsible to attend each and every cultural event for minority groups otherwise he is labeled "discrimination".
And yet he has very clearly made bigoted anti-gay statements in the past. Why do you whitewash this?

Yes.

Most people get this kind of bigotry from their church, or their parents, orboth.

Sure ... but that does make it hard to explain why he seems to march in just about every other parade in the city. Where it become clear though, is that he boycotted the flag raising, at his own office, when he was available and in-town. I never mentioned the parade earlier.

And yet you are the one who seems to be working very hard to justify a bigot whose anti-gay views are well known. Do you also oppose same-sex marriage?

You are being ridiculous here.
How does Ford not going to the gay parade a bigotry? One has the right to have his preference toward certain things. If Ford has no interest in the gay community, or doesn't want to have anything to do with gay people, that's his right. That does not violated any laws, as long as he didn't do anything to harm the gay community. He has the right to remain detached. I am not anti-gay in any means, but I think it is crazy to force everyone in the society to actively involved in the gay business, and otherwise we just handily label them as haters.

It is like I don't believe in Jesus, don't want to have anything to do with churches, and think all religions are just nuts. Will people around me be influenced by this, yes, so what? I don't like religions and I don't need to hide it. Is that wrong? Absolutely no as long as I didn't shoot Christian people or bomb churches. Everyone should reserve the right to support or remain indifferent to certain things, so should Ford.

Let me ask again, did everyone Toronto mayor participate in the Chinese New York celebration every year? I don't think so. Are they considered anti-Chinese bigots? Why not? I am sure the Chinese has a much larger population than the gays, and that Toronto has one of the top 5 largest Chinese communities in North America. Why the gay parade is so special that the mayor has to go?

And yet he has very clearly made bigoted anti-gay statements in the past. Why do you whitewash this?

then it would be fair to pick on those statements, but not on his refusal to attend the parade.

Although I don't like Ford that much, I do admire this honesty. You know how sickening it is that all the politicians seem to care about the gays, the non-white communities, the old, the women, the handicapped that much as if they are some sort of saints? That's just so fake. Nobody loves everyone and care about everyone equally. Yet the politicians year after year put on this show displaying such hypocrisy, because they seem to have to be "politically correct" (I vomit at this term every time), and the easily offended voters seem to buy this sort of crap.

At least for Ford, when he says he loves something, we know almost for certain that he does, because he has no hesitation showing he doesn't care about many other things.

did everyone Toronto mayor participate in the Chinese New York celebration every year?

Why would they, this is Toronto.

Earlier, you said you weren't stupid, I disagree.

However, the parade is a symbol of lewd and crude bahaviour that would lead to arrest the other 360 days of the year.

This thread is about pride, not carribana.... you must be confused.

The mayor is elected to represent all citizens. The problem isn't that he does or doesn't attend each and every single event held in the city. The problem is that Ford only misses events that represent citizens he doesn't like or doesn't agree with. That is not appropriate for a mayor.

If Ford has no interest in the gay community, or doesn't want to have anything to do with gay people, that's his right.?

Yes, that's his right as a private citizen, just as it is the right of us to criticize him for doing so. But you're missing the point, which is that Ford is the mayor of the city, and thus represents the entire city, not just his own personal beliefs. By not showing up at any of the events around what is one of the largest celebrations in the city, Ford is communicating not just his own personal views, but the views of the office of mayor of Toronto. And that's wrong.

Hell, even Mel frickin' Lastman showed up to Pride.

Back