News   Jul 08, 2024
 301     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 896     4 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 555     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Two sections of highway 69 that was 2024-2025 are now 2025-26.. so I guess its infinitely delayed. Highway 11 2+1 pilot also shows a start of 2025-26.
I wonder if they are a reflection of funding shuffling or project delays caused by protracted negotiations with FNTs. South of Mactier, the 'Wahta gap' existed for around ten years.

I wonder if they are a reflection of funding shuffling or project delays caused by protracted negotiations with FNTs. South of Mactier, the 'Wahta gap' existed for around ten years.

From what''s previously been published the Conservatives cut off negotiations when elected and they still have not resumed as of last year.

Two sections of highway 69 that was 2024-2025 are now 2025-26.. so I guess its infinitely delayed. Highway 11 2+1 pilot also shows a start of 2025-26.
Technically they aren’t delayed provided they were planned for 2025.. they qualify in both categories.

Given the reporting that tree clearing is already occurring right now, I assume they will slot into the 2025, and not the 2026 category. Which still aligns with the “2024-2025” category of last year.

What's the status of the oft-delayed Highway 7 from KW to Guelph?

The same as every report released since the 1970s - we 'plan' to build it. That seems to be enough to win votes in this area.

With the 401 widening ongoing in Cambridge, it does lessen the need for this route a bit, but it is inexcusable that Highway 7 hasn't at least been twinned at minimum.

Technically they aren’t delayed provided they were planned for 2025.. they qualify in both categories.

Given the reporting that tree clearing is already occurring right now, I assume they will slot into the 2025, and not the 2026 category. Which still aligns with the “2024-2025” category of last year.
I saw this online. A local FN consortium has partnered with SNC, The article states that they are still at (or before - it's not clear) the bidding stage for the remaining 52 km section.

There's not necessarily a straight line between FN construction involvement and completion of land negotiations, but it would likely ease things along.

Edit: I guess actually inserting the link would be helpful.

Last edited:
Was just out in St. Thomas today for work, and it appears that the preliminary/EA work for the HWY 3 twinning is well underway. The First Avenue interchange on-ramp was shut down as a crew appeared to be doing some assessment work on it. I also observed new survey markings on the road and wooden survey stakes in the unbuilt ROW all the way to Wonderland Road.

Additionally, I observed utility markings on the HWY 3/Wellington Road intersection, so it is likely that some geo/enviro drilling has either already occurred, or will be occurring there in the near future.

Last edited:
Really wish to have seen more commitment to the hwy 6 Morriston Bypass in the released highway program.

They are making great progress locally to connecting projects on the Guelph side of 6 aswell as a commitment for the hwy6 / hwy 5 intersection.

How can the bypass, the heart of the project, be overlooked for so long?

MTO is moving quickly on the EA for the Highway 6 widening in Hamilton. PIC 2 will be on September 16:

2_StakeholderLetter_ Aug 13 2023_final_Page_3.jpg

Note the unfortunate, american spelling of "Center". Inconsistent within the document as well, with the title head at the top of the page adopting the Canadian spelling..

MTO is moving quickly on the EA for the Highway 6 widening in Hamilton. PIC 2 will be on September 16:
I travel this section semi-regularly on weekend mornings and it seems to flow just fine, but does the traffic volume on weekdays already warrant the twinning?

I never thought I would see this one moved up so quickly though. I guess it would be a pretty straight forward project since all the bridges were already widened to accommodate the eventual twinning. Not having actually looked at the PIC panels for this one, I would assume only a new bridge (but hoping for a roundabout) for Book Road, an interchange to the access road to YHM, and the interchange at Upper James would be the only major works.

I travel this section semi-regularly on weekend mornings and it seems to flow just fine, but does the traffic volume on weekdays already warrant the twinning?

I never thought I would see this one moved up so quickly though. I guess it would be a pretty straight forward project since all the bridges were already widened to accommodate the eventual twinning. Not having actually looked at the PIC panels for this one, I would assume only a new bridge (but hoping for a roundabout) for Book Road, an interchange to the access road to YHM, and the interchange at Upper James would be the only major works.
There is a lot of growth in Caledonia and I believe it's intended to serve the airport and industrial lands in Hamilton around the airport which will be getting built soon - but generally, I agree that I'm surprised to see it get funding. Especially since there are so many much more pressing projects around, even in the Hamilton region.

PIC 1 had it be a full, 100km/h freeway, so there will be a full interchange at Book Rd and the Airport, as well as a reconfiguration of the intersection with Upper James of some sort.

There is a lot of growth in Caledonia and I believe it's intended to serve the airport and industrial lands in Hamilton around the airport which will be getting built soon - but generally, I agree that I'm surprised to see it get funding. Especially since there are so many much more pressing projects around, even in the Hamilton region.

PIC 1 had it be a full, 100km/h freeway, so there will be a full interchange at Book Rd and the Airport, as well as a reconfiguration of the intersection with Upper James of some sort.
Ahh. Didn't realize there were plans to develop industrial lands around the Airport. With the corresponding increase in truck traffic, it might not be a bad idea to twin sooner rather than later.

I'll be floored if the designs are changed to roundabouts in the next few rounds of public consultation. I remember the MTO in the Liberal era had a huge hard on for them, and pretty much put them wherever they could. Remains to be seen if roundabouts still have that same sway at the MTO these days.

Ahh. Didn't realize there were plans to develop industrial lands around the Airport. With the corresponding increase in truck traffic, it might not be a bad idea to twin sooner rather than later.

I'll be floored if the designs are changed to roundabouts in the next few rounds of public consultation. I remember the MTO in the Liberal era had a huge hard on for them, and pretty much put them wherever they could. Remains to be seen if roundabouts still have that same sway at the MTO these days.
Roundabouts only really make sense when roads of similar capacities are intersecting. For the big picture of what this segment of HWY 6 is trying to achieve, roundabouts would generally be inappropriate because of the mismatch in road capacities. Conventional intersections with traffic signals or interchanges would be the only real options here.

Interchanges make the most sense due to reasons discussed above. The entire area is going to transform drastically with major industrial development near the airport, future airport expansion, and new residential developments on the mountain in Hamilton and in Caledonia. If they just twinned it and kept the at-grade intersections, it is pretty likely the interchanges would have to be built in 10-15 years anyway.

Roundabouts only really make sense when roads of similar capacities are intersecting. For the big picture of what this segment of HWY 6 is trying to achieve, roundabouts would generally be inappropriate because of the mismatch in road capacities. Conventional intersections with traffic signals or interchanges would be the only real options here.
Or you can build an interchange, with roundabouts. Traditionally you'd put one under or over the expressway - but now you see ones with a small roundabaout on each side of the expressway - which could be appropriate on 6.

1694148945489.png

Back