1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

the area in 1956:

1666615445870.png

:)
Great place to see how the 401 got built and expanded

Does anyone know why the center divider is being replaced on a lot of sections of highway? I've seen it on highway 400 around the ikea, and the 401 around dixon along with some other spots.

Does anyone know why the center divider is being replaced on a lot of sections of highway? I've seen it on highway 400 around the ikea, and the 401 around dixon along with some other spots.
I'm not sure exactly where you are talking about but perhaps the MTO is replacing standard height Jersey Barrier with the 'Ontario Tall Wall' which is about 25cm taller.

Was down in Windsor for work today and got to see more of the 401 widening between Tilbury and near Merlin Line. The widened section between Merlin Line and Queen's Line is now open, and lanes have been realigned so the farthest right lane disappears instead of the left lane. From Queen's Line to Tilbury, the lanes are complete and the median is constructed/filled in, but things are still down to one lane through this section, as they are still finishing up on the median, as well as doing some work on the shoulders, mainly for drain bridges and for sound barriers along the developed section in Tilbury. Overhead signs are not up yet, but some of the posts are.

I am excited to see work start soon on the next section near Colonel Talbot in London.

I wonder if they will progressively increase the speed limit to 110 on the 6-lane parts they complete.

Now that the 110 trials are permanent, and we have other 110 areas, I wonder if Ontario may ever try out 120 on a few stretches. Maybe a 2026 election ploy by Douggie? Perhaps this newly widened 401 stretch will be a good candiate, or one of the original 110 trials. The 402 could easily be 120 between Sarina city limits and London, for example.

Now that the 110 trials are permanent, and we have other 110 areas, I wonder if Ontario may ever try out 120 on a few stretches. Maybe a 2026 election ploy by Douggie? Perhaps this newly widened 401 stretch will be a good candiate, or one of the original 110 trials. The 402 could easily be 120 between Sarina city limits and London, for example.
When electric vehicles become more common, maybe they can go 130 and not get an uproar from all the environmentalist.

Was down in Windsor for work today and got to see more of the 401 widening between Tilbury and near Merlin Line. The widened section between Merlin Line and Queen's Line is now open, and lanes have been realigned so the farthest right lane disappears instead of the left lane. From Queen's Line to Tilbury, the lanes are complete and the median is constructed/filled in, but things are still down to one lane through this section, as they are still finishing up on the median, as well as doing some work on the shoulders, mainly for drain bridges and for sound barriers along the developed section in Tilbury. Overhead signs are not up yet, but some of the posts are.

I am excited to see work start soon on the next section near Colonel Talbot in London.
I saw the latest Google Streetview imagery the other day from September, and it aligns with what you said. Should hopefully be completed in December.

As for the next widening phase, MTO Southern highways program lists 2 contracts to begin in 2024-25 in the Hwy 4 area. I saw the tender for the hwy 4 and glanworth interchange replacement - it may start next year but it's unclear. That's necessary before the widening can happen in that area.

I believe the next phase is going to be from the 402 to Union Road, which is about a 20km stretch, so it's a lot larger of a project than the current phase.

Now if only some money could be spent on 6-laning the 401 east of the GTA, it's in need of it a lot more than this relatively quiet stretch down to Windsor..

I believe the next phase is going to be from the 402 to Union Road, which is about a 20km stretch, so it's a lot larger of a project than the current phase.

Now if only some money could be spent on 6-laning the 401 east of the GTA, it's in need of it a lot more than this relatively quiet stretch down to Windsor..
You need to start rebuilding bridges and underpass to handle 5 lanes each way first before widening the east section, especially on the hills/inclines that slow trucks down. It will stop trucks blocking all lanes as they try to pass each other and slowing all traffic down.

There are sections that can be widen for 4 lanes each way now, as 3 lanes will not cut it down the road. Better off doing it once for 5 lanes with 1-2 lanes block off until needed, but its only $$ not around at this time,.

It will happen, don’t forget that the province is starting to plan a number of pre-requisite bridge replacements and land acquisitions from Pickering to Brockville for widening.

The Tilbury-Merlin Line work was able to be started so quickly because the Queen’s Line interchange is relatively new and I believe everything was planned already (hence why it is not part of the work packages on the project website). The Union Road-London section is going to see similar benefits when the Colonel Talbot interchange is reconstructed, since that project has already been in the planning process for years.

The remaining section through Chatham and Elgin County will likely not be built as fast since more interchanges need to be replaced. The province has started redesigning the Bloomfield Road interchange as part of the widening project, but this likely won’t get rebuilt for years.

Back