News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 673     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Sorry I mean 407 ETR as in "407 ETR Concession Company Limited" (which goes by "407 ETR")/407 International Inc.. I'm not sure what is a subsidiary of what, but overall the company with the lease is owned by
-Cintra (43.23%)
-CPPIB (40%)
-SNC-Lavalin (16.77%). SNC-Lavalin was shopping its share last year, not sure what the status of that is

I believe the sale has not happened yet (all they said mid-2014 was that they were looking to sell it in a 1 - 3 year period because of favourable market conditions) and the company that owns the leasehold interest remains almost 60% Canadian owned (despite the popular "foreign owned" tag that gets placed on the roadway).

That's actually still in Mississauga. Not exactly full fledged concrete roadways, but the intersection of Bloor and Aukland is finished with concrete along with the right turn lane from EB Dundas to SB Islington.

These are mysterious to me. Bloor/Aukland I can't figure out why it was paved differently - I guess they just used a different method when the intersection was widened. The Dundas to Islington turn is also strange - is this section on a bridge over Mimico Creek?

I believe the sale has not happened yet (all they said mid-2014 was that they were looking to sell it in a 1 - 3 year period because of favourable market conditions) and the company that owns the leasehold interest remains almost 60% Canadian owned (despite the popular "foreign owned" tag that gets placed on the roadway).

its because the largest shareholder is spanish.

These are mysterious to me. Bloor/Aukland I can't figure out why it was paved differently - I guess they just used a different method when the intersection was widened. The Dundas to Islington turn is also strange - is this section on a bridge over Mimico Creek?
I'm not quite sure why Bloor/Aukland was done the way it was.

The turn from Dundas to Islington makes perfect sense. With all the Mississauga buses making the right turn there, the asphalt had developed quite the pronounced rut on the outside of the turn, fortunately concrete is immune to this problem.

And the largest amount of shares are held by Canadians

thats why there is a popular perception that it is foreign owned (and a significant portion of the company is foreign owned), I'm not disputing the fact that it is in fact technically "canadian". at the end of the day 40% of the profits get sent to spain.

The Metroland Durham Region newspapers are reporting that the 407 "West Durham Link" will be numbered Highway 412. I'm not sure if this has been formally announced or if this is based on previous speculation that 412 would be used because of the proximity to Highway 12.

Further, Whitby Council is going to ask the province to name it after Jim Flaherty. Given his role, as a member of Harris's cabinet, in selling off the main 407 section, this seems like an interesting choice. :)

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/5290001-new-whitby-highway-could-be-named-after-jim-flaherty/

The Metroland Durham Region newspapers are reporting that the 407 "West Durham Link" will be numbered Highway 412. I'm not sure if this has been formally announced or if this is based on previous speculation that 412 would be used because of the proximity to Highway 12.

Further, Whitby Council is going to ask the province to name it after Jim Flaherty. Given his role, as a member of Harris's cabinet, in selling off the main 407 section, this seems like an interesting choice. :)

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/5290001-new-whitby-highway-could-be-named-after-jim-flaherty/

Highway 412 definitely makes sense. It's also in a convenient enough location that if it's ever extended north, it could become an effective bypass for Highway 12, or at least the southern part of it. It could also form the connection to a future Pickering Airport, much in the way the 409 does to Pearson.

The WDL is way too far east to connect to the Pickering airport, the Pickering airport site is north of the existing 407.

Depending on how the airport terminal was positioned on the property, the highway connecting 412 to the airport would be about the same length as the 409.

or it could just be positioned on the south side of the site and connect to the existing 407, without the need for a duplicated highway corridor.

If the 412 / WDl ever gets extended, it will likely be to connect directly with highway 12 much like MTO did with the 410 a couple of years ago. Even that is unlikely though.

or it could just be positioned on the south side of the site and connect to the existing 407, without the need for a duplicated highway corridor.

If the 412 / WDl ever gets extended, it will likely be to connect directly with highway 12 much like MTO did with the 410 a couple of years ago. Even that is unlikely though.

That would work too, although I would think the Province would likely want a direct connection to the 401, which the 412 would provide. And yes, I can see it eventually being extended further north and terminating at the 12/7/7A intersection.

As a side note, I'm impressed how quickly Google has updated the alignment of the 401. It's already showing the relocation of the westbound lanes at the future site of the WDL. Pretty quick mapping change, all things considered.

GTA West highway: Forward thinking or retro mistake?

The Ministry of Transportation is in the middle of planning for a new four- to six-lane 400-series highway, GTA West, that would connect north Vaughan to Milton. If approved, it would be the first major highway project built by the province since the 407 in the ’80s and ’90s.
Engineers are in the early stages of an extensive planning study that will take until 2018 to assess which routes will “minimize impacts to the environment, communities, and the environment.†If the plan gets a green light, road work could begin sometime after 2020.

ci-congestion-intro-web.jpg

Attachments

• ci-congestion-intro-web.jpg
    ci-congestion-intro-web.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 2,244
I wonder what will happen to the Highway 400 service centre that is located in the area that this highway is supposed to link too.. I often stop there on the way up North.

Back