Roads: Highway 7 North Kitchener-Guelph New Freeway Build

Discussion in 'Transportation and Infrastructure' started by salmonz, Apr 17, 2017.

1. salmonz

salmonz New Member

New grade separated 4-lane freeway, Highway 7 North, from Kitchener Highway 85 to Guelph Highway 6, 18kms

http://newhighway7.ca

MTO Contract: *Not available yet*
    Award Amount: *Not available yet* (could be in excess of $400M)
    Starting of Construction: *Not available yet* (In planning, some work started)
    Expected Completion: *Not available yet* (beyond 2020)

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/regionalGovernment/resources/PM2011-0412.pdf
    http://waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=225
    http://kitchener.ca.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=&clip_id=94&meta_id=4707
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/highway-bridges/pdfs/southern-highways-program-2016-2020.pdf, Page 3
    http://www.bingemans.com/hwy7/index.html
    http://www.tritag.ca/blog/2012/08/24/highway-7-alternatives/

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2017

2. nfitz

nfitz Superstar

3. salmonz

salmonz New Member

Only took ~10 years to get started and glad that we finally see some action on it.

4. nfitz

nfitz Superstar

10? I moved to Kitchener over 30 years ago, and they were already talking about it. As I recall, the initial ramps and width for Wellington at the Conestoga were originally built for it, and the design dated back to the 1960s.

Has the main contract been awarded? I was surprised to drive past the other day and seen they were already ripping one of those Wellington ramps out (which is a shame, it was a good way to get off the Conestoga onto Riverbend/Bridgeport when there's an accident - I'm not quite sure how else to get to Shirley from the south, without taking quite a detour. I'm not quite sure if that will be possible ultimately - or are they finally going to do something about replacing that missing piece of River Road north of Victoria - how many years has that been missing now?

5. timio

timio Active Member

They've taken out the directional eastbound Wellington ramp and altered the former westbound ramp to come to a stop light for both east and west turns. Eastbound Wellington will go straight through at Shirley/Riverbend, likely by end of this year, to make a more direct connection to Bingmean's Centre Drive / Lackner / Victoria.

Starting Fall 2017 - Fall 2018, Victoria across the expressway will be closed for demolition and re-build.

6. timio

timio Active Member

7. BurlOak

BurlOak Senior Member

Is there a missing Highway 6 link here (i.e should there be one built?). I find going across on Woodlawn to continue north on 6 is quite heavy with traffic.

Top of 6.

8. BurlOak

BurlOak Senior Member

It would eventually become part of highway 477 going from Stratford (maybe eventually Strathroy) to KW to Guelph to Brampton. (sorry for going off topic)

9. Markster

Markster Senior Member

It's a popular topic of conversation over on Waterloo Region Connected, so here's an overview of the interchange between 7 and 85/7/Wellington/Shirley/etc.

attachment.

KevinT and nfitz like this.
  10. Markster

Markster Senior Member

Notably, things are very much under construction. The above interchange is the critical path for the project, and so a lot of earthworks are underway. The Bruce St extension to Wellington/Shirley is being built. Victoria St is going to close this summer, so they can demolish and rebuild the bridge over the freeway.

Random googling shows the contract for the new Grand River bridge to be awarded this year:
    https://www.raqs.merx.com/public/contract/contractsByRegionView.jsf?contractId=43748651

11. nfitz

nfitz Superstar

Oh, I see. That's useful to know!

So Glasgow Street, that turned into Walter Street, and then turns into Wellington Street South, which becomes Wellington Street North, will now also turn into Shirley Street, which turns into Bingemans Centre Drive, that turns into Lackner that turns into Fairway Crescent that turns into Idle Creek Drive. But doesn't turn into Shirley Drive (which used to be called Wellington didn't it?)

Sometimes, I think Region of Waterloo won't be happy until they turn the entire place into one single street that goes everywhere ... :)

(I guess Walter turning into Wellington is a bit of stretch ... seems to be turning more into a real intersection as things redevelop ...).

12. nfitz

nfitz Superstar

I thought the old plan, was that 7 just kept going east, squeezing in between the NE corner of Guelph and Guelph Lake, before dropping down to the alignment east of Guelph. But I don't think I've seen or heard much about that for 20-30 years.

North of Guelph Lake? Highway 477? A brand new Niagara Escarpment crossing north of Georgetown? Not that far off topic, unless this is meant for the fantasy thread.

Do you have any references for that highway number or alignment?

Didn't the Guelph to GTA plan end, with the decision during Part 1 of the GTA West Transportation Corridor to instead widen the 401 instead? I don't recall the alignment you show in that study.

Given the slew of threads just created, is mostly for that 401 widening, I'm not sure how Guelph to GTA is back on table.

13. nfitz

nfitz Superstar

Cool - I guess that reduces the need for reconnecting River - though I guess what you are showing above, will slice it yet again for the new highway.

14. BurlOak

BurlOak Senior Member

A quick search finds that North of Guelph Lake was considered. Going south of the lake would require a freeway through the Valley and Conservation Area and would likely attract much more opposition - although it is a more direct route.
    As for the name - it won't be 407 due to confusion with the toll highway.
    And the current government found that this highway is not needed, but that may change.

15. nfitz

nfitz Superstar

I never looked at the GTA West studies much. I hadn't realized they'd tossed the more southern route. But I haven't seen anything for 20-30 years ... it could even be 1960s. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find any trace of it.

Some said same of the 407 extension to 115, that because it would be owned by province, they wouldn't call it 407, to avoid confusion with the company. What did they call it? 407.

Who knows what they'll call it. Perhaps they simply call it 7. There's certainly over 400-class pieces of Highway 7 (and 11) that haven't been given 400-series numbers. By the time they build it, 407 might all be provincially owned again.

I looked in the Guelph official plan to see if there was any indication. There's some interesting text:

Road Improvement Alternatives for the East-West Corridor in North Guelph

a) The extension of the Hanlon Expressway north of Woodlawn Road to connect to the existing Highway 6 corridor in the vicinity of Marden and intersection improvements/turning lanes only on Woodlawn Road, between the existing Hanlon Expressway and Woolwich Street; or

b) The widening of Woodlawn Road between the existing Hanlon Expressway and Woolwich Street to 6 lanes, without the Hanlon Expressway northerly extension.

So two options currently, one is not extending the Hanlon (highway 6).

Also, the Wellington County official plan, shows the alignment of the Highway 6 extension. See the extract below. There's two dashed black lines. One is the Highway 6 connection from Woodlawn Road to just north of Marden. The other is the new Highway 7 to Kitchener.

upload_2017-4-17_13-26-57.