News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 859     0 

Roads: Highway 407 East (Durham Region)

So No exit/entrance for Rossland on 412.

Any idea when they might open that
Indefinitely deferred. The grading is definitely roughed in, you can see it on the way past, but I imagine they'll wait at least until West Whitby Secondary Plan starts being built up.

Yup, there were a couple of interchanges that got deferred. Westney Road is the same way, I think that one is waiting on the Greenwood bypass to be built. The 404 extension that opened a couple years ago had a deferred (roughed in) interchange at Doane Road too.

Have we seen any traffic counts on the portion that opened this past year? Any statement of revenue versus projection?

It took about the same number of months after opening of Union Pearson to generate debate about ridership. I wonder how the 407 extension compares.

- Paul

Have we seen any traffic counts on the portion that opened this past year? Any statement of revenue versus projection?

It took about the same number of months after opening of Union Pearson to generate debate about ridership. I wonder how the 407 extension compares.

- Paul

Debates about traffic on the extension would be somewhat pointless since it hasn't fully opened yet. On the 407 proper, a good amount of traffic will probably be to/from the 35/115 and the 418. While there is certainly some on the 407 east phase 1, and on the 412, those numbers will change once the full extension opens. It would be premature to expect any useful data until 2020-21.

I imagine 412 will lose traffic once the whole thing is open. the part between the 418 and 35 I expect will be very, very empty, especially if they still change $0.29/km for that part.

Well, let's try to treat everyone the same here. Ontario must have had a revenue projection for the first twelve months of operation of the current segment. I agree that ridership will go up further with further extensions, But - the first year revenue is, or isn't, hitting the target. If we are behind, by how much?

The net cost of UP Express gets a lot of scrutiny. The cost of the 417 extension needs just as much scrutiny. And if the under-recovery is in the same ballpark, it deserves equal profile.

- Paul

Have we seen any traffic counts on the portion that opened this past year?

Just by my own personal observation, there was a dramatic drop in traffic right after tolls began. It seems traffic has slowly climbed since, but there are times you can stand in the middle of the highway in the Oshawa area and not worry about getting hit.

I imagine 412 will lose traffic once the whole thing is open. the part between the 418 and 35 I expect will be very, very empty, especially if they still change $0.29/km for that part.

My personal experience has been that while the cost of driving from say Highway 400 to Brock Road always felt affordable, the added cost of using the 407 all the way out to Oshawa puts the per-trip toll at a level where I ask myself how bad do I want to avoid the 401. The additional charge to the 115/35 will push that even further.

Just a sample of one, I know.

- Paul

The current 407 has zones where the tolls are lower due to less demand. I see no reason why the 418-35 stretch of the 407, and the 412, couldn't have their tolls lowered if demand is low.

Back