News   Apr 24, 2024
 924     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 610     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Some things I thought were interesting to discuss/ask on this broad-reaching topic:

- Cambridge Expansion

No real activity the past few weeks as all lanes have seemingly been paved and are currently in use. Great traffic flow, for the most part, in this area now. Almost too wide!

- No “HOV” lanes here yet though. The lanes almost don’t seem wide enough to incorporate the “hashed” area for the division between the HOV and regular lanes. I assume they will have to realign all the lanes to incorporate this eventually? Signage is up and covered so I assume it will happen before the next phase is complete?

- Morrison Bypass

The new Concession Rd 7 bridge span is up and taking shape. Looks like the plans call for a flyover for the entrance to Hwy 6 N from the EB 401 so that will be interesting to watch construct. As for the actual bypass road, not sure what/if any progress has been made?

- East of Highway 25

So I never even realized the reason there is that hill east of 25 is because the highway goes over a set of train tracks! It would seem there is work now to expand this bridge? A lot of trucks working on the sides of the highway here so I assume this is all part of the eventual expansion on the highway here.

- Mississauga

Ok, now for the real hype. They have moved the gravel separator (is that what this is? The “little” factory that seems to spit out evenly sized rocks into trucks? Any more info on exactly what this structure does?) in order to pave/reconstruct the area it was sitting on. Also, they were supposed to squeeze the entrance onto the express lanes (EB) to one lane again (at least they put up signage for this, knowing the chaos we went through earlier) as of Nov 12th, however it was still two lanes today (12th) but I assume it is coming. The express lanes really went up quickly though. Most of the express is poured and looks great, though they have had to rip a few areas up. I also noticed more trucks around Creditview, is that bridge being redone soon? Could be related?

I pass through this area every Mon-Fri for the last 8 years and it’s been great to watch transform. Genuinely interests me to watch it all come together.

Sounds to me that the next phase has started. This will widen the highway from the Credit River to Highway 25 - so the Creditview bridge and railway overpass work would be associated with that.

It has a 3 year construction timeline, being complete in November 2022. This is much better than the 5ish year timeline for the bit from Hurontario to the Credit River.

There hasn't been a ton of info on the Morriston Bypass project since funding was announced about 2 years ago, but I imagine we will hear something soon.

We're supposed to see a "Southwestern Ontario Transportation Plan to be released in fall 2019", so I'm assuming anything west of MIlton will be included in there. This government hasn't updated the southern/northern highway improvement plans since taking office, so who knows what their actual intent is.

Replies to some points brought up:

Credit River bridge is part of a separate contract. I doubt this will start until the spring, and would just be preliminary work until the widening east of the Credit River is done.

The 401 between highway 8 and 24 has an extra-wide shoulder right now. When it's time for the HOV to go in, I'd assume all the lane markings will be redone to allow the buffer zone to go in, or they might just repave the whole thing while they're at it.

SW Ontario- 401 widening between Tilbury and London is on the PC's radar. This stretch is currently undergoing a multi-year reconstruction endeavour (supports 6 lane widening), so work filling in the median probably won't start until this is completed.

The old Southern/Northern Highways program published on MTO by the old government should be taken with more than a few grains of salt.. maybe a whole salt shaker's worth or a full box of salt.

Replies to some points brought up:

Credit River bridge is part of a separate contract. I doubt this will start until the spring, and would just be preliminary work until the widening east of the Credit River is done.
I think the bridge will be done before the east portion. That old bridge is showing it's age and the rehab done 7 or 8 years ago was only meant to buy 10 years time. Traffic will have to be put on the twin bridge reasonably soon. Still 3 lanes in each direction (on new bridge) until the old bridge is rehabbed (or replaced).

EDIT: Strike my comment - it was for the QEW Credit River Bridge

Last edited:
My understanding is the Credit River and the new Creditview Rd extension to Derry Rd will see new bridges. Supposed to be part of the 401 widening contract, but a few years out dated.

They will do what they had done for other bridges over the Credit River and that is built the new collector lanes bridges first and then built a new bridge for the existing one after traffic is shifted to the new bridges.

Part of a new bridge over the plan extension of Creditview Rd will be built first as the collector lanes and then built the centre section once traffic is shifted.

There is 4 locations between the Credit River and Hwy 8 where the 401 was widen first for collector lanes and then the centre section was removed and a new one built in its place. This is on top of new bridges being built over the 401.

Just another 5 years of construction that is on going on the 401.

The folks west of London are waiting for the day when true widening of the 401 takes place along with center barriers walls, not the cable or nothing at all.

Drum, correct me if I’m wrong but Creditview is getting widened not extended.
The last I heard a few years ago, it was being widen and extended by the old road route, but haven't follow it since then. The could be just widen now. Regardless, a new bridge will be built for it to allow room for widening the road.

I noticed 403 Highway Lights between Ridgeway and Burnhamthorpe have been changed from Amber to the Awful White lights.

They look like UFOS Landing in Foggy weather.

The last I heard a few years ago, it was being widen and extended by the old road route, but haven't follow it since then. The could be just widen now. Regardless, a new bridge will be built for it to allow room for widening the road.
Yes, Creditview Road will be demolished over 401 and a new bridge built that is 4 lanes wide and multiple spans long to fit 401 core/collector lanes underneath. Creditview will be slightly realigned to accommodate this.

Where will traffic go without a new bridge constructed first?
They will build the collectors lanes bridge first like they have for the other locations so far. Traffic will remain the same as it is for the 401. As for Creditview, traffic will have to use Mississauga/Erin Mills road or Mavis Rd while the new collectors bridges are being built. Once they are open and the existing bridge is torn down, its possible the new road will be built and open while the express lanes bridge is being built under overhead protection. We will know more once construction starts.

Not the first time traffic has to find a new route while something is being built and the road close off for it. Many overpass have been close while they are being rebuilt or repair that force traffic to seek a new route during the construction.

As for Creditview, traffic will have to use Mississauga/Erin Mills road or Mavis Rd while the new collectors bridges are being built. Once they are open and the existing bridge is torn down, its possible the new road will be built and open while the express lanes bridge is being built under overhead protection. We will know more once construction starts.

Not the first time traffic has to find a new route while something is being built and the road close off for it. Many overpass have been close while they are being rebuilt or repair that force traffic to seek a new route during the construction.
Actually based on the plans I have seen, the intent is to maintain traffic on existing Creditview while the new bridge is built in two stages (hence the slight realignment). In other words, the east half of the new bridge is built first, then traffic moves onto it and then the existing bridge is demolished and new bridge completed. There is also a very significant grade raise for the new bridge which should be interesting to observe how the new roadway approaches are constructed next to the existing road.

So this would be different than the McLaughlin Road over 401 replacement, where the road was completely closed for a year.

However, if the Designer/Contractor can succeed in arguing it is too difficult to maintain traffic on Creditview while building the new bridge then it is possible Creditview over 401 may be closed for a year.

Actually based on the plans I have seen, the intent is to maintain traffic on existing Creditview while the new bridge is built in two stages (hence the slight realignment). In other words, the east half of the new bridge is built first, then traffic moves onto it and then the existing bridge is demolished and new bridge completed. There is also a very significant grade raise for the new bridge which should be interesting to observe how the new roadway approaches are constructed next to the existing road.

So this would be different than the McLaughlin Road over 401 replacement, where the road was completely closed for a year.

However, if the Designer/Contractor can succeed in arguing it is too difficult to maintain traffic on Creditview while building the new bridge then it is possible Creditview over 401 may be closed for a year.
Not much different what I already have said. Not sure what you mean by east bridge as its either north or south since 401 is basely e-w. If you are saying the existing Creditview bridge is being shifted to the east, that's a fair shift and allows the road to be open, depending on the shift. If that the case, the road will be close like I have said to allow the express lanes bridge to be built. Regardless one way or another the road will be close up to a year or so to fully build the new road.

Not much different what I already have said. Not sure what you mean by east bridge as its either north or south since 401 is basely e-w. If you are saying the existing Creditview bridge is being shifted to the east, that's a fair shift and allows the road to be open, depending on the shift. If that the case, the road will be close like I have said to allow the express lanes bridge to be built. Regardless one way or another the road will be close up to a year or so to fully build the new road.
I'm not sure what's actually happening. What is described above is build new bridge east of existing. flip traffic to new bridge. demolish existing bridge. build new west half of bridge. What the two half bridges are tied together or left with a 50mm gap depends on their width. Likely if 2 lane bridges then tied together. If 3 lanes or wide multi use path, then separate. :

Back