News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 926     1 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

Supreme Court of Canada just struck down the “Designated Projects” aspect of the Impact Assessment Act as unconstitutional in a 5-2 vote. The portions of the Act that pertain to Designated Projects were ruled to be going beyond what is considered federal jurisdiction. The IAA still remains valid for projects on federal land and outside of Canada.

This has a major implications for HWY 413 since the project will no longer be designated under the IAA.
Wow - big ruling. Also hugely good news for the PCs here as the IAA was massively delaying this. This ruling alone probably moved the project up by 3-4 years and brought it from unlikely to happen this term to it being possible for the PCs to lock in construction contracts before 2026.

Wow - big ruling. Also hugely good news for the PCs here as the IAA was massively delaying this. This ruling alone probably moved the project up by 3-4 years and brought it from unlikely to happen this term to it being possible for the PCs to lock in construction contracts before 2026.
I have a feeling that’s exactly what they are going to do. It has remained abundantly clear that the 413 is a huge priority despite the delays. I’m sure they already even have the money allocated for when it’s ready to go.

Most recent Public Information Centre (September 28 - October 5) materials now available for download https://www.highway413.ca/consultation/

They note they are developing an interactive map and included a link to a Live Demo. Not sure if anyone has the ability to view or share what is currently posted.
Very good PIC information, the highway will reduce traffic on local roads in southern Caledon by a million miles, and the transit corridor is also perfect. The only issue I have with it is the removal of the Coleraine Drive interchange.

The interactive map is now working.

Couple of interesting notes:

- The Humber River bridge crossing is just a hair over 1km long - this would make it the largest bridge crossing in the GTA by a decent margin, excluding the Burlington Skyway. Indeed, it would be one of the largest non-international bridges in the province, behind only the two Skyways on the QEW.
- Despite only being rebuilt in 2020, the King-Vaughan Road bridge over the 400 is proposed to be replaced to accommodate the interchange with the 413
- The size of the 410/413 interchange strikes me as rather excessive
- The bridge over the Credit River is over 600m long, much larger than I anticipated.
- The design seems to be for 6 lanes across the entire alignment - this is new as far as I know. Previous studies IIRC called for 6 lanes between the 400 and 427 and south of Mayfield Road, but the central part was to originally only to be 4 lanes.
- I continue to be confused as to why they are proposing to retain the 410 connection to Highway 10, including expensive flyovers to connect it to the now extended 410, which is effectively replaced by the 413. I feel like they would be better off removing it as most traffic will likely get on the 413 anyway.

Something very interesting I noticed, this ArcGIS map includes details about the proposed 413 Transitway, as well as confirmation that they're working on a transitway alongside the 427.
1697736046766.png

The yellow line south of the highway is the transitway, and the yellow boxes are proposed stations.

It seems to me that the connection to Bolton is lacking. I know it would be difficult and expensive to include an interchange at Hwy 50, but it seems like it would be worthwhile still (kind of like the Hwy 7 interchange on Hwy 400).

the yellow boxes are proposed stations
I notice that they propose a station at Bovaird Dr / 413, and not at City of Brampton's preferred location, which is the intersection between the Kitchener Line and the the 413 Transit Way. Perhaps it's the Province's way of say you're not getting that Heritage Road GO Station?
1697742443792.png

I notice that they propose a station at Bovaird Dr / 413, and not at City of Brampton's preferred location, which is the intersection between the Kitchener Line and the the 413 Transit Way. Perhaps it's the Province's way of say you're not getting that Heritage Road GO Station?
View attachment 514123
Perhaps.

Its also worth noting that they do have a station in place for the future Bolton Line, so they are definitely taking into account GO connectivity:
1697743673600.png

Back