News   Apr 19, 2024
 825     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 654     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

Any politically connected resort lodges up north desiring improved access? Or how about the Pelee Point and Island Parkway?

I think improved rail access along existing lines is the most logical solution at this point.

Any politically connected resort lodges up north desiring improved access? Or how about the Pelee Point and Island Parkway?

Come to think of it, here's something: a bridge connecting Point Pelee to Pelee Island; then to Kelley's Island; then Marblehead; then Cedar Point...

^ Some good laughs here, and some well-made serious points.

Having said that, I will disagree with critical comments re Hwy. 400 being extended up to Parry Sound. I have some experience on the previous Hwy. 69, being replaced by 400. It was known as a death trap on long holiday weekends. People crawled along for miles in a single lane. Head-on collisions were not unusual as people pulled out to pass at unsafe locations. It also carries a lot of truck traffic.

The four lanes to Parry Sound were needed, badly, IMO. North of there, to Sudbury, I'm not so sure. The traffic is less, and the terrain is generally better.

Scarberian: Roller coaster? Why not? Why should Wonderland have a monopoly on the roller coaster business?

Quite true, though I hate the idea of building expressways for seasonal weekend traffic.

I mostly agree.

I go up to Sudbury often enough - the old 69 from Port Severn to Parry Sound was windy, with fewer passing lanes, more local traffic, and then the damned cottagers tying up intercity traffic with the RVs, SUVs and boats on trailers. I still avoid the weekend peak directions like the plague, but it is useful. (This is one of the few trips I do by car - the Greyhound run is brutal and full of weirdos, the train too slow and infrequent, but a treat if I am not in any hurry going north)

North of Parry Sound, it is a different highway - fewer settlements of any size means less local traffic, most of it is through intercity. The MTO just extended many of the passing lanes - they help too. I would look forward to the Nobel by-pass and the twinning of the section from 17 down for the 30 kilometres or so (this is a windy, slow section), otherwise, a few extra passing lanes perhaps is all that's really needed. It's very straight from north of Nobel to about the French River with a few exceptions, unlike the entire highway that is now twinned south of PS.

That map that cdl42 posted is totally misleading. Some of those roads shown are not Ontario highways (like the Red Hill Creek Expressway). They may not even be highways, period.

It's supposed to be a map of Expressways in Ontario, exisiting and proposed, not a map of roads maintained by the province. Slightly inaccurate, maybe... misleading, hardly.

It is my hope that the rail infrastuctre in this area will be upgraded to take more freight and passenger traffic off the 401 so this new highway will be deemed unnecessary. There is no reason why we shouldn't be building facilities which are capable of moving containers from 18 wheelers to freight trains.

I know that this may be a bit off topic, but something needs to be done about improving safety on Highway 6 before any new highway corridors are built through the peninsula. With all of the traffic that the mid-peninsula highway and the new 400 series north of the 401 are going to dump on it, at least a centre barrier and proper shoulders are necessary, especially between the 401 and QEW.

Back