News   Apr 23, 2024
 247     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 454     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

Probably better to have it and not need it than to need it someday and not have it.

I can't see a BRT corridor ever being needed for a bypass corridor like this. Any potential future demand here could be met with a 413 express bus route with stops built into the ramp terminals.

If this highway is such a hot topic of not being built here. Why are they widening it more for a transitway and transmission lines etc?
The transitway is not being built immediately, the corridor is being protected. If the corridor wasn't protected, there wouldn't be green space on the corridor. It would be sprawl, and generic houses, and lots of roads. Then, three decades in the future, we'd kick ourselves for having not left room for transit, and now we have to tunnel under suburban Brampton (sigh).

I'd prefer the land not be sprawl, and the highway not built, but in the fairly realistic scenario that it is built, Transitway > no Transitway.

And the transmission lines will get built anyways.

The transitway is not being built immediately, the corridor is being protected. If the corridor wasn't protected, there wouldn't be green space on the corridor. It would be sprawl, and generic houses, and lots of roads. Then, three decades in the future, we'd kick ourselves for having not left room for transit, and now we have to tunnel under suburban Brampton (sigh).

I'd prefer the land not be sprawl, and the highway not built, but in the fairly realistic scenario that it is built, Transitway > no Transitway.

And the transmission lines will get built anyways.
What your saying is it doesn't matter if the 413 corridor eats up a huge chunk of the farm land. Because the farm land etc is going to developed anyway! So what is the big complaint about this highway being built in my opinion lol!

What your saying is it doesn't matter if the 413 corridor eats up a huge chunk of the farm land. Because the farm land etc is going to developed anyway! So what is the big complaint about this highway being built in my opinion lol!
Stop misrepresenting my arguments. I'm not going to argue with a troll who keeps twisting what I write.

Stop misrepresenting my arguments. I'm not going to argue with a troll who keeps twisting what I write.
Sorry to upset you about this situation. South Central is growing at an alarming rate of 200 thousand a year. And even it they cram everyone in condos. It's still not enough to stop the spawl outwards in the next decades to come. I think the sprawling will definitely stop at the borders of the south side of the moraine.

Sorry to upset you about this situation. South Central is growing at an alarming rate of 200 thousand a year. And even it they cram everyone in condos. It's still not enough to stop the spawl outwards in the next decades to come. I think the sprawling will definitely stop at the borders of the south side of the moraine.
I read my post over .., and I was too aggressive. Sorry for that.

I'll write a better response to your post:
If the land is "going to be developed anyways," then farmland isn't a huge concern. If at some point, we decided that a transit corridor would be useful here, then having the corridor set aside is far cheaper than creating a new one in the future. As well, if we never use this corridor, then we retain a small area of natural-ish land. The cost of acquiring this land, given that this highway will cost billions, is not going to be that high.

I read my post over .., and I was too aggressive. Sorry for that.

I'll write a better response to your post:

If the land is "going to be developed anyways," then farmland isn't a huge concern. If at some point, we decided that a transit corridor would be useful here, then having the corridor set aside is far cheaper than creating a new one in the future. As well, if we never use this corridor, then we retain a small area of natural-ish land. The cost of acquiring this land, given that this highway will cost billions, is not going to be that high.
I appreciate the apology! I've seen about an hours worth of drone footage on YouTube. Showing the lands from above. And the majority of farm fields are used for corn, wheat maybe soy. If it was a fruit and vegetable belt area it would bother me some. But I don't like the route they're taking over the Humber river being too long of a stretch. And it would have been nice to see the them run the 413 close to Mayfield road to line up with the new 410 bypass to highway 10 to save money.

I appreciate the apology! I've seen about an hours worth of drone footage on YouTube. Showing the lands from above. And the majority of farm fields are used for corn, wheat maybe soy. If it was a fruit and vegetable belt area it would bother me some. But I don't like the route they're taking over the Humber river being too long of a stretch. And it would have been nice to see the them run the 413 close to Mayfield road to line up with the new 410 bypass to highway 10 to save money.
Not sure what the issue is with growing any of those crops? They form valuable parts of your or most peoples diet and can easily be part of a good crop rotation system. Not everyone can be a fruit farmer or a market gardener. If you are concerned about that, look at the effects that will occur to the Holland Marsh.

It would be good to look at Ontarios and Canadas projected (and wanted? Needed?) population growth and its effects on food production. The 413 is a smaller problem repeated over and over as valuable ‘vacant‘ land is downgraded and then transformed into large acreage estate lots and endless acreage of warehousing.

Sorry, One of my pet peeves.

Not sure what the issue is with growing any of those crops? They form valuable parts of your or most peoples diet and can easily be part of a good crop rotation system. Not everyone can be a fruit farmer or a market gardener. If you are concerned about that, look at the effects that will occur to the Holland Marsh.

It would be good to look at Ontarios and Canadas projected (and wanted? Needed?) population growth and its effects on food production. The 413 is a smaller problem repeated over and over as valuable ‘vacant‘ land is downgraded and then transformed into large acreage estate lots and endless acreage of warehousing.

Sorry, One of my pet peeves.
I believe certain types of soil that are good for growing fruit and vegetables should be preserved. Like the area below the Niagara escarpment between Niagara on the Lake to Stoney Creek. But the corn, wheat, soy being grown practically everywhere in southern Ontario like the 413 route not to really fuss about. Yeah ! I do think they shouldn't touch the Holland marsh area . But to continue the 413 eastward to the 404 from hwy 400 instead. Those days area over where you'll see one ower having a huge lot. These new farm developments areas. Will cram the housing lots closer together, and build condos on top the new malls etc now being the norm!

It's almost like the transitway is greenwashing for the project. Like "hey look we'll protect for an eventual transit project here" Great but a) Where's the plan timeline for the transit project b) Is this transit project actually justified c) will this transit project suck funding away from other more worthy projects.

It's almost like the transitway is greenwashing for the project. Like "hey look we'll protect for an eventual transit project here" Great but a) Where's the plan timeline for the transit project b) Is this transit project actually justified c) will this transit project suck funding away from other more worthy projects.
From what I recall it seems like the 413 will be coming with the transitway from the offset, and the capital cost for the 413 has the transitway built in to its cost... at least that's how I interpreted it.

From what I recall it seems like the 413 will be coming with the transitway from the offset, and the capital cost for the 413 has the transitway built in to its cost... at least that's how I interpreted it.
That’s almost worse given that the same ballpark figures could get us the 407 Transitway.

Back