News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

Toronto elitists DESPISE people from outside the city core. It's getting like Manhattan more and more every day. Of course they want the Gardiner torn down. They would love to make it as unpalatable as possible for people coming in from the outside. Once it's torn-down, their buddies in the development industry can buy the land cheap and build more frigging condos...

Who exactly are these Toronto Elitists? I would think that John Tory falls into this precarious description as well as anyone, and he's voting to keep the Gardiner.
1) Welcome to UT 2) Don Valley, perhaps you can elaborate on what you mean.

Toronto elitists DESPISE people from outside the city core. It's getting like Manhattan more and more every day. Of course they want the Gardiner torn down. They would love to make it as unpalatable as possible for people coming in from the outside. Once it's torn-down, their buddies in the development industry can buy the land cheap and build more frigging condos...

Absolutely.

As a resident downtown elitist, I've proposed erecting a wall that roughly spans Eglinton in the north, Don in the east and Dufferin/Keele area in the west, to keep all those dirty suburbanites out. Seriously, you guys smell like SUV. It's unsettling to see nasty suburbanites driving through my gentrified yuppie district whilst I'm sipping on my $7 latte from my local, independent coffee house.

Tory is going to win this vote. You can quote me on that next week when this is all said and done.

Im about 100% certain that you are going to be correct.

Time to start thinking creatively about what to do with the underside of the Gardiner now. Since Lakeshore will be moved to the North in the 'hybrid' option, it opens up the existing space underneath for something unique and creative.

Tory is going to win this vote. You can quote me on that next week when this is all said and done.
No surprise there. That's been clear for a while.

As to whether this will actually ever happen as planned ... that's another story.

I won't be terribly disappointed if Hybrid wins.

However, Remove / Boulevard is my preference:

1) Local residents appear to favor Boulevard.

2) That part of the highway framework is not important enough to overwrite the wishes of the locals.

3) Boulevard is cheaper.

As a resident downtown elitist, I've proposed erecting a wall that roughly spans Eglinton in the north, Don in the east and Dufferin/Keele area in the west, to keep all those dirty suburbanites out.

Woah! Your borders are way too generous. If you were a true downtown elitist you'd realize it should actually be College in the north, Church in the east, Shaw in the west and Wellington in the south.

Woah! Your borders are way too generous. If you were a true downtown elitist you'd realize it should actually be College in the north, Church in the east, Shaw in the west and Wellington in the south.

Hey what about Yorkville? Lots of elitists there.

Absolutely.

As a resident downtown elitist, I've proposed erecting a wall that roughly spans Eglinton in the north, Don in the east and Dufferin/Keele area in the west, to keep all those dirty suburbanites out. Seriously, you guys smell like SUV. It's unsettling to see nasty suburbanites driving through my gentrified yuppie district whilst I'm sipping on my $7 latte from my local, independent coffee house.

C'mon. I've met a few of the unfortunate souls who've been forced to live near Eglinton/Yonge, and they undoubtedly have the strong blood of the Downtown Elites running through their veins. We shouldn't ostracize them because they've been forced to live on the outskirts of the best parts of our glorious municipally. In fact, they should be praised for being brave enough to live near those filthy suburbanites, while remaining true to their Downtown Elitist roots.

You guys forget, the suburbanites want to build the exact same wall.

It's the growing pains of an amalgamated city.

Surely the north of the wall should be at Lot Street - or whatever those up north have decided to call it now.

Im about 100% certain that you are going to be correct.

Time to start thinking creatively about what to do with the underside of the Gardiner now. Since Lakeshore will be moved to the North in the 'hybrid' option, it opens up the existing space underneath for something unique and creative.
Garden?

Don Vally comes off as a Ford Nationite who came here to troll rather than have thoughtful discussion. 3) Welcome to my ignore list.
Haha, salsa :) I just tried to be a little more diplomatic.
No surprise there. That's been clear for a while.

As to whether this will actually ever happen as planned ... that's another story.
It won't and we'll have this debate in 10 years again.

Back