News   Aug 13, 2024
 182     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 382     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1K     2 

Roads: Bathurst Street Bridge

This delay is probably good for the reason mentioned in the article... Strachan Ave will be closing for bridge construction and having both projects occur simultaneously would be EXTREMELY problematic.

This delay is probably good for the reason mentioned in the article... Strachan Ave will be closing for bridge construction and having both projects occur simultaneously would be EXTREMELY problematic.

Too bad they coudn't put in streetcar tracks on Strachan Avenue between Fleet Street and King Street, so that the Bathurst streetcars could use Strachan as a detour during the Bathurst Bridge construction. More lkely the Ossington buses could be extended south on Strachan to maybe the new and improved Ontario Place.

Last edited:

It is good now that they have waited this long.... however it was supposed to be done by now on the original schedule.

It would be my opinion that what this area needs is another briged over the tracks....likely extending Portland via a bridge over the tracks and meeting Dan Leckie Way.........providing all of those condo dwellers in the area a way out of their neighbourhood without joining the commuter traffic of Bathurst/etc.......this could be done now and would provide relief point during the Bathurst reconstruction.

Probably not feesible to divert streetcars onto that new bridge but it could provide short term relief during the Bathurst reconstruction and provide long term convenience for the people who live in the hood.

My oh my...5 years to start, another 5 to finish, add a couple of dozen extra hi-rises to be built in the area, plus a couple of million people yearly using the Billy Bishop City Centre airport, let alone everything else happening in the hood...good luck getting around.

I say get this congestion issue solved as soon as possible..even if it takes putting the proposed Strachan ave. bridge on the backburner.:mad:

City Place 2 creates traffic headaches in Toronto’s downtown
It will take several years for an extension to be built from Fort York Boulevard to Bathurst

In a mature city, busy intersections rarely appear out of nowhere. The corner of Bremner Boulevard/Fort York Boulevard and Spadina Avenue didn’t even exist a couple of years ago. But today, it is one of downtown’s more congested places, a confluence of commuters heading to the Gardiner, streetcars, throngs of pedestrians and drivers who live in the second phase of City Place, that forest of condos that sprung with miraculous speed from the railway lands west of Spadina.

Read more...http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...eadaches-in-torontos-downtown/article1651432/

I say get this congestion issue solved as soon as possible..even if it takes putting the proposed Strachan ave. bridge on the backburner.:mad:

City Place 2 creates traffic headaches in Toronto’s downtown
It will take several years for an extension to be built from Fort York Boulevard to Bathurst

In a mature city, busy intersections rarely appear out of nowhere. The corner of Bremner Boulevard/Fort York Boulevard and Spadina Avenue didn’t even exist a couple of years ago. But today, it is one of downtown’s more congested places, a confluence of commuters heading to the Gardiner, streetcars, throngs of pedestrians and drivers who live in the second phase of City Place, that forest of condos that sprung with miraculous speed from the railway lands west of Spadina.

Read more...http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...eadaches-in-torontos-downtown/article1651432/

I think had the Front Street extension been built as planned/promised, this congested intersection would not be anywhere near as bad.

What's the lastest on this? Has any progress been made since July 26, 2010? Is there a new thread somewhere? Do we know what the latest version fo the Bathurst street bridge will look like?

What's the lastest on this? Has any progress been made since July 26, 2010? Is there a new thread somewhere? Do we know what the latest version fo the Bathurst street bridge will look like?

What you see is what we see or heard.

We don't have the money to do it at this time.

Isn't it off at least until the Strachan overpass is opened? I thought I read somewhere working on both at once wasn't an option.

Isn't it off at least until the Strachan overpass is opened? I thought I read somewhere working on both at once wasn't an option.

Yes, about 10 posts up this thread :-> It is also true that $$ are a factor so the work on Bathurst St Bridge is 'suspended" for two reasons: conflicting work on Strachan and lack of $$. The TTC actually fixed their tracks south of the bridge last year as they could wait no longer.

Fort York Blvd now meets Bathurst from the west and east. Build the intersection! Oh well.

Pic taken from my condo:

IMG_9703.jpg

Fort York Blvd now meets Bathurst from the west and east. Build the intersection! Oh well.

Yes, but at two different elevations :) Building the intersection, as intended, requires lowering the bridge.

Yes, but at two different elevations :) Building the intersection, as intended, requires lowering the bridge.

Interesting, I never noticed that the bridge actually starts at this point so I see now what you mean. I always thought 'the bridge' was only the actual span across the tracks, but I can now see that it slowly ramps up as it runs pas Fort York Blvd. Am I correct?

Back