News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 786     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Roads: 403/401/410 Interchange (MTO)

I don't get what they were smoking when they designed the end of that going north. Even when they open the HOV lane, they have created an unreal bottleneck which is worse than before they expanded anything.
It is awful.....they have a 4 lane road shrink to 3.....which sounds normal except they accomplish this by forcing off the two right lanes and then adding a new lane on the left......that jam caused by the quick/late merging has created, both, a slow traffic jam every night and a dangerous situation. (Accidents occur very frequently).

I am hopeful the opening of the HOV lane will ease the situation at/near Queen, and I have no idea what they are waiting for to open it.

Bottlenecks are the worst.

What can be done to fix this? Keep widening to the north? That way traffic has more time to merge / thin out with each exit.

Bottlenecks are the worst.

What can be done to fix this? Keep widening to the north? That way traffic has more time to merge / thin out with each exit.
I think some relief NB will come when the HOV lane opens but there will still be a jam.....the fact is way more people live north of Queen than do south of it.....so it makes sense that in the evening rush hour more of those vehicles are going to proceed beyond the narrowing point that they chose.

The morning rush also is no treat with daily slowdowns to 10/15 km/hour (often worse) until the road widens at Queen.

I remember a conversation with a guy at MoT when the project was announced/planned (he called me in response to a letter I had written to my MPP). He told me they were confident that Queen was the appropriate point to change the number of lanes.....he gave me no backup but he was sure that once built I would see the wisdom of their planning decision.....I think of him twice a day most days. ;)

Heading eastbound yesterday on the 401 from Mavis, collector lanes are ready to open east of Mavis.

Saw no change to the Hurontario signs for Dixie & 410 for info for the 403 ramp.

The next sign has black cloth over 403 ramp info in small letters. The sign at the split for 410 & 403 has a blue sign cover up in black for 403 ramp.

Crews working on the northbound 403 ramp to the 401 W. Some of the hold up is the work on the bridges for both 403 directions.

I think some relief NB will come when the HOV lane opens but there will still be a jam.....the fact is way more people live north of Queen than do south of it.....so it makes sense that in the evening rush hour more of those vehicles are going to proceed beyond the narrowing point that they chose.

The morning rush also is no treat with daily slowdowns to 10/15 km/hour (often worse) until the road widens at Queen.

I remember a conversation with a guy at MoT when the project was announced/planned (he called me in response to a letter I had written to my MPP). He told me they were confident that Queen was the appropriate point to change the number of lanes.....he gave me no backup but he was sure that once built I would see the wisdom of their planning decision.....I think of him twice a day most days. ;)

I think SB is not to bad but NB there should have been 3 straight lanes past queen plus a HOV which could end at Bovaird

I wonder if they made a mistake when planning the 410 width. Either by underestimating Brampton's population explosion as well as their dependance on the car.

Between Queen and Bovaird there is only enough median available to add just an HOV lane in each direction (which looks pretty cheap and easy to do). North of Bovaird when the road narrows and changes to concrete widening would have to be done towards the outside and would be more complicated.

I wonder if they made a mistake when planning the 410 width. Either by underestimating Brampton's population explosion as well as their dependance on the car.

Between Queen and Bovaird there is only enough median available to add just an HOV lane in each direction (which looks pretty cheap and easy to do). North of Bovaird when the road narrows and changes to concrete widening would have to be done towards the outside and would be more complicated.

If they underestimated anything it was likely the level of ignoring of Brampton’s needs that Queen’s Park could exhibit.

Surely when they built the road they could not have assumed that the city would be allowed to grow to over 600k with the 410 being the only link to the rest of the GTA? Surely they would have thought a city of that size would have other highway links or, god forbid, full 2way GO train service 7 days a week?

If they underestimated anything it was likely the level of ignoring of Brampton’s needs that Queen’s Park could exhibit.

Surely when they built the road they could not have assumed that the city would be allowed to grow to over 600k with the 410 being the only link to the rest of the GTA? Surely they would have thought a city of that size would have other highway links or, god forbid, full 2way GO train service 7 days a week?

I guess the 407 doesn't count? lol

A highway running along the southern border of the city still has to be gotten to somehow......no?

Many cities own their own local freeways.

Toronto with a highway running on the North and West sides (401/427). Toronto owns the Gardiner and DVP
Hamilton with the 403/QEW running on the North Side. They built the LINC/Red Hill/Nikola Tesla.
London has 401/402 on the south end of the city with Highbury city owned. No freeway connections at all

Brampton has the 407 running across the south end and the 410 running right through the city. If Brampton wanted additional freeways they had all the right to build one themselves.

Many cities own their own local freeways.

Toronto with a highway running on the North and West sides (401/427). Toronto owns the Gardiner and DVP
Hamilton with the 403/QEW running on the North Side. They built the LINC/Red Hill/Nikola Tesla.
London has 401/402 on the south end of the city with Highbury city owned. No freeway connections at all

Brampton has the 407 running across the south end and the 410 running right through the city. If Brampton wanted additional freeways they had all the right to build one themselves.
Its a different debate, but maybe many of these freeways should be uploads.
The first group would be Gardiner and DVP, plus Red Hill and the Linc. These really serve a provincial need.
Tesla, EC Row, Queensway East are maybe more local though.

a GTA West Freeway would fall into the first group - serving a provincial need.

However, Toronto didn't want these uploaded, and I doubt that Queens Park wants to open this can of worms.

Back