News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

I have made very good use of the monthly ped-only days in the past, and my only comment is - I fail to see how injecting that many people into a commercial zone, few of them arriving by car (they must come in some other way, because there isn't the parking to handle that many people) could possibly be bad for anyone's business.

Having said that, I take seriously the angst (founded or unfounded) over whether the change will transform the district into a different type of market.. Toronto does not need a cheesy tourist trap that only sells t-shirts with bad slogans, or head shops, or tatoo parlours. Kensington has to remain a district that Torontonians see value in visiting, a lifestyle district rather than a tourism or entertainment district. There's a je-ne-sais-quoi character to Kensington that makes it vital, so maybe a bit of extra caution should be exercised.

The one good point that the article makes is that Toronto is just not good at creating auto-free districts. That being the case, seizing Kensington as the best place to learn how to do that, does strike me as a somewhat risky strategy. Maybe we ought to demonstrate that we have mastered lessons learned from, say, King Street before we jump into this one

In the end, my gut says that the risks and levers to preserving Kensington don't have all that much to do with cars or parking, and I am ambivalent about whether this change would be all that harmful. However - The deciding vote for me is, I generally take Robert Allsop's sage views on things very very seriously. So if he was quoted correctly (I have not watched his deputation) I would say, let's find another district to practice the auto-free thing on first.

- Paul

PS - I have never bought either produce or clothing in Kensington, but I keep going back anyways. I'm really not sure why I go, but I love it all the same.

Last edited:
I think this is the passage with the best ideas.

1690920175385.png

I think this is the passage with the best ideas.

View attachment 496773

You need to break these out to discuss their implications.

Summer/Winter:

Sure, we can do different things according to the season. Toronto just finished doing this with Market Street, with most here of the consensus that it should be year round pedestrian.
A lot of the spaces in Montreal that are summer-only are larger roads which would be far less pleasant in winter as pedestrian spaces.
But sure, a case could be made for summer-only. The thing is, opponents here didn't actually suggest that. They also conflated the pedestrian-only issue w/interlock paving and a host of other things.

Anti-gentrification measures? LOL Ok.....sure when you gentrified the last businesses out that was fine, but if it happens to you, its terrible..... (rolls eyes)

- What special support for green grocers? I need to know what measures we're talking about.

- Tax reductions for legacy businesses? So if you have money and profit, we should cut you a tax-break and penalize a start-up or a new immigrant?

- Expropriating buildings to support culturally significant businesses? Oh, now that's intriguing, I'd like to hear both real-world examples of this from other places as well as how we're going to
define which buildings the City should buy in the market in order to offer subsidized rent to businesses....

For clarity, I'm not particularly keen on most of these ideas.

I think if you wanted to protect independent businesses, that I could get behind, and the answer to that is a by-law limiting formula retail, City-wide (chain stores); and one capping the size of retail units.

I'm all for non-profit land trusts, but Kensington already has one of those.

Last edited:
I have made very good use of the monthly ped-only days in the past, and my only comment is - I fail to see how injecting that many people into a commercial zone, few of them arriving by car (they must come in some other way, because there isn't the parking to handle that many people) could possibly be bad for anyone's business.

Having said that, I take seriously the angst (founded or unfounded) over whether the change will transform the district into a different type of market.. Toronto does not need a cheesy tourist trap that only sells t-shirts with bad slogans, or head shops, or tatoo parlours. Kensington has to remain a district that Torontonians see value in visiting, a lifestyle district rather than a tourism or entertainment district. There's a je-ne-sais-quoi character to Kensington that makes it vital, so maybe a bit of extra caution should be exercised.

The one good point that the article makes is that Toronto is just not good at creating auto-free districts. That being the case, seizing Kensington as the best place to learn how to do that, does strike me as a somewhat risky strategy. Maybe we ought to demonstrate that we have mastered lessons learned from, say, King Street before we jump into this one

In the end, my gut says that the risks and levers to preserving Kensington don't have all that much to do with cars or parking, and I am ambivalent about whether this change would be all that harmful. However - The deciding vote for me is, I generally take Robert Allsop's sage views on things very very seriously. So if he was quoted correctly (I have not watched his deputation) I would say, let's find another district to practice the auto-free thing on first.

- Paul

PS - I have never bought either produce or clothing in Kensington, but I keep going back anyways. I'm really not sure why I go, but I love it all the same.
The Distillery would like a word.

Sometimes it's the crime, not the traffic. I was in Washington DC a number of years ago when the after-hours crime rate was pretty bad. I intended to go out for dinner, quite literally across the road (a rather wide road, something like University) - I could see my destination - and the local I was with recommended I call a taxi.

Sometimes it's the crime, not the traffic. I was in Washington DC a number of years ago when the after-hours crime rate was pretty bad. I intended to go out for dinner, quite literally across the road (a rather wide road, something like University) - I could see my destination - and the local I was with recommended I call a taxi.
The United States of America is ranked as the 161st safest country in the world. Canada is 11th.

For 2023, the 12 safest countries in the world (in descending order) are:

1. Iceland
  2. Denmark
  3. Ireland
  4. New Zealand
  5. Austria
  6. Singapore
  7. Portugal
  8. Slovenia
  9. Japan
  10. Switzerland
  11. Canada
  12. Czechia
From link.

PDF at this link.

Interesting and very low-cost method for improving street geometry at a crosswalk in front of a public school. The pattern was laid out many mobths ago - the street painters finally showed up to do the job.
Doesn’t replace the need to actually redo the curbs in some places, but in a city that's broke…. This is easily done.

- Paul

IMG_6317.jpeg
IMG_6319.jpeg
IMG_6320.jpeg

Interesting and very low-cost method for improving street geometry at a crosswalk in front of a public school. The pattern was laid out many mobths ago - the street painters finally showed up to do the job.
Doesn’t replace the need to actually redo the curbs in some places, but in a city that's broke…. This is easily done.

- Paul

View attachment 497882View attachment 497883View attachment 497884
The St Lawrence BIA are very keen on using paint to show how things ought to be. They painted out Wellington/Front/Church before that happened and have arranged for painting of wider sidewalks on Adelaide east of Jarvis. They also sketched out how the corners of Front & Frederick might look if the sidewalk corners were widened when the City installs the new traffic lights.

- Paul

View attachment 497882View attachment 497883View attachment 497884
Over near Kingston and Dundas they even added flex posts:

1691296807851.png

1691296831088.png

1691296883902.png

It would be kind of nice if cities could read the tea leaves to see where public attitudes are going and be more aggressive in implementing safer street design. The fact that we see any streets being built or reconstructed with stop controlled intersections and curb parking without bulb-outs to narrow the crossing distance is painful to watch.

It would be kind of nice if cities could read the tea leaves to see where public attitudes are going and be more aggressive in implementing safer street design. The fact that we see any streets being built or reconstructed with stop controlled intersections and curb parking without bulb-outs to narrow the crossing distance is painful to watch.
Talk to your Councillor and your local BIA.

According to Metrolinx (see link) "Due to space availability and infrastructure constraints, secondary entrances are not feasible at Royal York, Islington, a nd Kipling stations.

Expect to see BUS LOADS of people having to traverse the cross streets to get to or leave the station entrances. Hopefully, there will be pedestrian refugee islands that are large enough to hold a bus load of people crossing with wheelchairs. Ones that are set back away from the main intersection. Hopefully, with camera detection instead of beg buttons to control the pedestrian signals.

psc_ped_median-2.jpg
From link.

Back