News   Apr 25, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 528     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Driver involved in collision after pedestrian walks across Highway 427

See link.

image.jpg

A driver was involved in a collision this weekend after he stopped to avoid a pedestrian who was walking across Highway 427 near Etobicoke.

Wayne Edward said he was travelling in the collector lane just south of Burnhamthorpe Road around 3 p.m. on Sunday when a man crossed the highway.

“I was heading home on the 427 northbound,” Edward said, speaking to CTV News Toronto.

“I moved over to the right because that was the exit I wanted to take.”

In video of the incident, which was posted to YouTube on Jan. 12, a man, who Edward said was involved in a seperate collision, can be seen walking from the barrier, where two cars are parked and two men are seen talking, to the shoulder, where two other men and a parked car are seen.

As Edward’s vehicle approaches at a high rate of speed, two other vehicles are seen braking in the middle lane and suddenly the pedestrian appears into view.

“I stop to avoid running him down,” Edward said in the video description.

At the time, Edward said he was travelling at about 80 kilometers per hour. The pedestrian appears in the video to try and alert Edward to slow down when his vehicle is just a few feet away.

“Until then I didn’t see anyone approaching from the left,” Edward said.

Moments later, the video shakes and Edward says his car was hit by the car behind him.

“And BAM, I get slammed into by a Porsche SUV, likely causing it to be written off,” Edward said.

Edward said the driver of the SUV, who was travelling with three members of his family, appeared to be in shock after the airbags in the vehicle deployed.

Edward said that while he sustained only minor injuries in the incident, the thought of what could have happened is troubling him.

“I wasn’t able to get much sleep as I was wondering if I would have hit the guy,” Edward said, adding that he had to take the day off work due to lack of sleep.

Edward said he didn’t speak to the pedestrian, but noticed him at the collision reporting centre later that day.

Edward, who happens to volunteer as a rehab member with Toronto Fire, added that if you find yourself in a vehicle collision you should stay in your vehicle, if you can, until help arrives.

“Don’t be that pedestrian,” Edward said.

'He is lucky he’s alive': OPP reacts to video

Upon watching the video, Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. Kerry Schmidt told CTV News Toronto that the pedestrian not only put lives in danger, but he also broke the law.

“If you’re in a crash and you crash your car, and you’re on the left side of the highway and you want to get to the other side, you don’t become a pedestrian and walk across. He is lucky he’s alive.”

Schmidt said that charges could potentially be laid.

image.jpg

Really, you hold hatred for people who exceed their ability to pay for something? Not even simple disdain, but hatred?

When I got my first job in 1996, I bought a 1989 Dodge Shadow as my first car, that I couldn't really afford. Would that make me a target of your hate?

Why do you care if they can't afford the car? Are you a loan agent worried they might default on the debt?

I hate nickel and dime customers, they waste my time. I've had customers get angry and insult me. I think they get angry because they want it but can't afford it.. Yet they have top of the line cars in the driveway. Sell one of your Range Rovers or BMWs and then give me a call. Luckily those customers are few and far between. I'm Oakville this week doing some work on a couple massive mansions. No nickel and dimming in that city. I got one guy between his Oakville mansion and his Muskoka cottage he has bought around 200k worth of gates and railings. His house has to be worth around the $20 million range, it's enormous.

For the most part, those Torontonians who rely on cars in this city are not the rich, but the low to middle class. I live in Cabbagetown, and many of my neighbours don’t have cars, or rarely use them, because they‘re high earning professionals who work downtown. For many wealthy people cars are a needless nuisance. Maybe that’s why we’re seeing bike lanes, since the wealthy and connected people now want them.
A study was done in DC a few years back that found that those on bikes in Washington, on average, made something like 20% more than their counterparts in cars.

A study was done in DC a few years back that found that those on bikes in Washington, on average, made something like 20% more than their counterparts in cars.

They also use the bikes as part of their exercise routine. What spend money at a gym's stationary bicycle when you can do the very same motion with a bicycle that is moving?

^I like it.

Seems to deploy a bit abruptly, but I'm sure that with lights and buttons and a few seconds' delay that could be mitigated.

No tire shredding spikes, though? (Just kidding)

- Paul

I was in Newmarket today and observed a minor 'road rage' exchange on a mall parking lot. I didn't see who did what but watched a teenage pedestrian and a middle aged motorist in a rather lengthy verbal and gesticulated exchange. At one point, the motorist got out of his car, yelled and gestured some more then just as quickly got back in. I don't think there was any actual vehicle-pedestrian contact that prompted this. Seemingly as quickly as it started, people moved on. Of course, the teenager's friend was videoing the whole thing.
Pretty innocuous but, with the wrong mixed or personalities, could turn ugly. I simply don't get it. Is it a sense of hubris? Entitlement? Aggressive territory enforcement? Cultural? Dunno, but I think this type of tom-catting is at the base of a lot of negative human interaction these days.

I have seen so many cars recently driving around at night with no lights on. (just daylight running lamps on)

I've been seeing cars without any rear lights on for many, many years now and it pisses me off so much! :mad: Everyday without fail I see at least a few vehicles with no rear lights on until they hit the brakes and then you can see them clearly.

I really wish they would do a blitz like they do with drunk driving where they stop cars with little to no lights on and inform the drivers that their lights are indeed off or not completely on and make sure they remember to turn them on next time. If that's not enough then start ticketing people if needed.

^^^ Put it on "auto" people!

My "auto" function leaves me flummoxed. It's interfaced with the door locks and interior lighting, so that the lights often stay on after I lock the car. I can't help but stand there, waiting to see if the lights actually turn off, worrying about draining my battery, and feeling dumb. I often turn it off just for peace of mind.

I have also found that if one leaves the "auto" setting on, and gets out of the habit of checking the setting frequently, it may get bumped to Off when I get out of the car, or reach for something on the floor, or whatever.....which is how I end up driving in "Ghost" mode. The reflection of the running lights in the car ahead tends to fool one into thinking that lights are on when they aren't.

Turning the lights "on" manually is a much more affirmative practice, and probably safer. The more you rely on the car, the less attention one pays, and that's when bad things happen.

- Paul

^^^ Put it on "auto" people!

I agree, although that setting has only been fairly common in the past few years and is still not universal. Even with that, it lulls people into ignoring their lighting altogether when their lights should otherwise be on (fog, heavy snow, etc.)

The problem is the lack of regulation surrounding DRLs. Many manufacturers switch the dash lights with the DRLs (or instruments, etc. are permanently illuminated by design), so driving around in a reasonably area lulls people into not realizing they have no other lighting on because their dash is illuminated. Even in more rural areas, many may think their headlights are just dirty, especially this time of year, or this is another example of people simply being unengaged with driving.

Back