News   May 03, 2024
 950     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 579     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 279     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Lots of good points above.

I favour 'road design' as the biggest, most critical solution; though driver-training, enforcement and other actions all have a role.

On road design, as stated in other words above; what you expect of a driver; and any other road user for that matter should be intuitive.

Rules and laws have real value; they are most often ignored when cognitive dissonance factors.

By which I mean, you can set the speed limit on Lakeshore Blvd to 50km/ph. But if you're on it at 3am, on a clear night with no weather, its essentially a 3-lane, one-way, highway with very few lights outside the core, and very few pedestrians and wide open landscape; without even thinking about it, you'll let the car slide to 70km/ph even if you're being careful and not intending to speed.

You want a slower driver, you need a narrower road, with buildings or landscapes closer to the curb line, a positive environment for other road users, and road that doesn't aim to be precisely straight and doesn't let you take turns at speed.

Not rocket science.

You don't need to woonerf Lakeshore.

You need to eliminate channelized right hand turns.

You need to eliminate double-left turns.

You need highway on/off ramps to have no acceleration/deceleration lane on Lakeshore itself and to be configured as hard left/right on exit.

Etc etc.

Once we address these types of issues we can, and should, move to address the scourge of impaired driving; mandate technologies that make cars safer for all road users (rear-view and side-view cameras, an air-bag for pedestrian/bumper contact etc.); as well as address driver-training problems via mandating simulator training and license tests that are far more realistic.

In addition, something we don't talk properly about enough is night-lighting.

From what I can discern the way in which we light are roads is actually worse for safety than not lighting them at all.

We have broad lights that leave vast areas in shadow, notably sidewalks and crosswalks, while making headlights far less effective in showing anomalies.

I think lower, pedestrian-centric lights along sidewalks and at designated crossings, and removing over-head street lights might well be a safer design.

Pedestrian lights would make clear whether someone is on a sidewalk looking to cross, or in an intersection vs lighting everything equally.

The absence of street lights over the road would also make car headlights much more visible to a would-be crosser.

Summary of the 10 Quick Ideas:
- Identify victims
- Get rid of children-at-play signs
- Close channelized turn lanes
- Make trucks safer (with side panels)

- Turn off countdown clocks
- Less red tape (for resident-petitioned traffic calming measures)
- More enforcement
- Ersatz speed bumps (narrowing mouth of streets)

- Co-ordinate signals for pedestrians
- Memorialize victims

Of course, banning turns on reds would be another non-infrastructural fix that works, but a more daunting policy-measure that may take a PR/informational blitz and blessings from the Province to do.

The LRT is an interesting example because I would say an LRT row ought to be an ‘excluded zone’ when pedestrians have the onus to stay clear....the challenge being there ought to be enough crossing points to ensure walkers aren’t taken out of their way to cross.
LRT's and Streetcars in rights of way shoudld be treated the same way as tarin at a railraod crossing or streetrunning is, ie don't cros the traks except at desiginated prdastrain crossings. The same should go for the rsaod to too many peopl cross thstreet wherever they want to and not awlays at a corner or at lights.

LRT's and Streetcars in rights of way shoudld be treated the same way as tarin at a railraod crossing or streetrunning is, ie don't cros the traks except at desiginated prdastrain crossings. The same should go for the rsaod to too many peopl cross thstreet wherever they want to and not awlays at a corner or at lights.

I think your keyboard is sticky :)

You are talking apples vs oranges here. Trains and boats have speed limits and rights of way based on stopping distances rather than reaction time. And there are different assumptions about survivability. You can’t compare survivability of impact with train vs say SUV based only on weight(mass) or joules of energy. What kills or injures people in train-pedestrian collisions is different than what is lethal in car-pedestrian collisions.

The core issue is exclusion vs shared use. We would be happy letting cars travel at 100 km/h if there were appropriate barriers and distances separating walkways and roadways. Many train-related deaths involve pedestrians who deliberately ignore fencing and signage. Same at level crossings. There is no need to speed-restrict a train at a level crossing that has functioning crossing protection, because the signalling is assumed effective to clear the right of way. Gates and lights are virtual exclusion creators. Our design assumes that if the gates are working, it’s the pedestrian’s job to stay clear.

For auto vs pedestrian, we are trying to achieve the reverse. It’s the auto’s job to stay clear. We might be well advised to revisit the whole premise of “yield to pedestrians and proceed when the way is clear” at intersections. I wonder if countdown lights are more dangerous than we think, as they encourage motorists and pedestrians to take risks. Maybe there should be a cycle where each gets some period of exclusive use.

We have to revisit our design assumptions. Some just aren’t working as intended.

- Paul
Agree that at the end of day, each side has to do their own stuff. It's not solely the responsibility of one side to avoid an accident. The signals at an intersection are there indicate who has the right of way.
You have to admit on one extreme end of the spectrum are people who believe pedestrian should be able to enter traffic lanes at any place without the fear of being ran over, with or without paying attention to the roads, all because of the mentality "but they are operating a killing machine so they should be the one who acts first".

PS: The LRT is an interesting example because I would say an LRT row ought to be an ‘excluded zone’ when pedestrians have the onus to stay clear....the challenge being there ought to be enough crossing points to ensure walkers aren’t taken out of their way to cross.

I would like to see much more intensive installation of signalized pedestrian crosswalks especially on arterials.. Every crosswalk should have enforcement cameras, just like red lights. The missing factor would then be that pedestrians have to activate, and wait to verify that cars are stopping. I regularly see people who press the button and just assume drivers will stop, and enter the crosswalk. The law may be on their side, but it’s a good way to get hit. With cameras one could measure time distance and approach speed, and make more informed decisions about who should have done what.

- Paul
People assume it works the same way as the pedestrian crosswalk. I much prefer the signalized crossing because it allows motorist time to stop. Maybe there could be a warning light to indicate to motorist a pedestrian has activated the signal.

People assume it works the same way as the pedestrian crosswalk. I much prefer the signalized crossing because it allows motorist time to stop. Maybe there could be a warning light to indicate to motorist a pedestrian has activated the signal.

One of my gripes about pedestrian buttons at intersections and walkways is that no two work the same way. Some promptly start a countdown, but others don’t. Some seem to be placebo’s, or just don’t work. Some grant a ‘walk’ indication, and assure enough time to walk only when pressed - but do not alter the time that the pedestrian must wait for a ‘walk’ indication. Frankly, a lot of the time I just ignore them, as they seem to be useless. (The crosswalk at Bloor and Grenview is a prime example, I swear the buttons are fake). As a pedestrian, I will admit that I often make my own decision rather than comply with the light cycle because the damn buttons are useless.

I have wondered if these buttons need to be standardised and improved so that they give meaningful feedback to pedestrians - and all function consistently. To this point, the Traffic department has had license to set whatever functions it deems appropriate at each location, and to my knowledge is not required to publicly document or explain the settings at any particular location. Maybe they have too much discretion over these settings and functions,

Maybe pedestrians would make fewer risky moves if the lights seemed to cooperate more with their needs and interests.

- Paul

Last edited:
You have to admit on one extreme end of the spectrum are people who believe pedestrian should be able to enter traffic lanes at any place without the fear of being ran over, with or without paying attention to the roads, all because of the mentality "but they are operating a killing machine so they should be the one who acts first".

No kidding! At the moment I have pretty much signed off Twitter because it’s the only way to restrain myself from getting into pointless debates with some of these nutbars.It’s appalling just how polarised this debate is, with drivers cyclists and pedestrians all speaking as if they are the only parties who matter. Polarisation is today’s world!
Pedestrians are not sacred symbols who have divine license to graze as they wish.
The roads have to be seen as a shared resource, with each party responsible to the other parties and not just to themselves for certain norms and rules. There are do’s and don’ts for each. We need more balanced points of view that acknowledge that each group needs to up their game.

- Paul

No kidding! At the moment I have pretty much signed off Twitter because it’s the only way to restrain myself from getting into pointless debates with some of these nutbars.It’s appalling just how polarised this debate is, with drivers cyclists and pedestrians all speaking as if they are the only parties who matter. Polarisation is today’s world!

No need to worry. Once e-scooters start hitting the streets come springtime, pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers shall come together in a shared unified ire. At least I think that's how it'll go down.

No need to worry. Once e-scooters start hitting the streets come springtime, pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers shall come together in a shared unified ire. At least I think that's how it'll go down.

They'll be the same group wanting insurance, helmets, and plates for bicyclists.

Vision Zero! Norwegian Capital Completely Quashes Road Deaths
Oslo recorded zero cycling and pedestrian fatalities in 2019 and U.S. cities can learn from its example.

From link.

The capital of Norway achieved its Vision Zero goal last year with no pedestrian and cyclist fatalities — a feat achieved even as traffic deaths climbed in the opposite direction in American cities.

With a population comparable to Portland, Ore., Oslo recorded only one traffic fatality: a driver who smashed his car into a fence, the Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten reported.

Norwegian officials saluted the results, but vowed to continue keeping all road users as safe as possible into the new year.

“This is no cushion. Every serious accident is one too many,” Ingrid Dahl Hovland, the country’s top road administrator, told Aftenposten. “The fight against traffic death and serious injuries in traffic continues with unabated strength.”

Road deaths in Oslo (pop. 673.000) in 2019:

Pedestrians: 0
Cyclists: 0
Children: 0

The graph shows the reduction of road deaths since 1975.
ENOK3QPXsAM2aeA

Oslo’s status as a pedestrian and cycling safe have didn’t occur overnight. The road to Vision Zero was paved with a mix of regulations that lowered speed, barring cars from certain areas, expanding its bike network, and added traffic calming measures around schools.

The most significant move Oslo officials made was devising a plan in 2015 to restrict cars from its square-mile city center and hike fees for entering and parking around the city’s core. Tolls rose in 2017 as the city removed 700 parking spaces and replaced them with 37 miles of bike lanes and pocket parks. The city center ban went into effect in early 2019 despite misgivings, but it was regarded as a model for other metropolises six months later. Cities around the U.S. have been slow to follow up on such success, though New York and San Francisco recently added a car-free thoroughfare to its transit mix.

Oslo leaders also sought to tame aggressive drivers in other neighborhoods. They drastically lowered speed limits inside and outside downtown areas, expanded its bike network, and established “Hjertesoners” or “heart zones” where vehicles are not permitted to pick up or drop off children around each primary school. New York City is especially bad at that, as Streetsblog NYC reported.

“The more you separate the different road groups, the less the risk of serious traffic accidents and then we see that the speed limit has been lower on several roads,” said Christoffer Solstad Steen, a spokesman for a Norwegian traffic organization Trygg Trafikk. (If you are Pete Buttigieg and you want to read the Aftenposten story in its original Norwegian, click here.)

It’s not just Oslo that has managed to curb fatal crashes. The entire Scandinavian nation experienced only 110 traffic deaths last year out of a population of 5.3 million, a fourfold decline since 1985, when 482 people lost their lives on the road.

Norwegian officials attributed the success to an intense focus on road safety among different governments regardless of their political affiliation.

“It has been a goal to secure safe travel for everyone,” Royal Norwegian Embassy counselor Susanne Juell Gudbrandsen told Streetsblog. “Oslo is the largest city with the heaviest traffic in the country, so it is particularly good to see that numbers for deaths have gone down there lately.”

The country’s roads have safer even though there are more vehicles on them. Norwegians owned 2.75 million passenger cars in 2018 and 148,000 new cars were sold in the country in that year, a nearly 50 percent increase since 2009 when 99,000 cars were sold.

But Oslo is moving toward a car-free future. The city hopes to double the number of trips people take by bike to 16 percent by 2025 and reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 95 percent from 1990 levels by 2030.

It’s a safe bet that road fatalities in Oslo will continue to remain low.

^Note that the trend line had its high back in 1985. The change didn’t happen overnight, We may be at this in Toronto for a long time before we match these numbers. One has to ask what they did in the early years to get momentum, and what they added in the latest years to get the numbers consistently low. Looks like on average there is still the odd fatality, but it’s impressive.

I visited Oslo a couple of years ago, and it didn’t stand out as either an auto-free environment or a particularly pedestrian-liberated zone. There were lots of cars, and one had to look both ways before crossing the street, and obey the signals. It certainly didn’t stand out as someplace where the mentality was the above mentioned “walk wherever you like and the driver has to cope with you”. Certainly, the main street in the central area was a pedestrian mall, but the city as a whole was not auto free. Less congested, perhaps. Their transit routes were confusing and they had an awkward fare-by-zone system, too. There were cyclists but not solid streams of them as one might see in say the Netherlands

If anything, Central Oslo felt like any other downtown. Tthat argues “if they can do it, we can too” ..... we don’t have to transform our streets to a Keesmattish utopia, we just have to change some attitudes and fix some stuff.

- Paul

l
20160903 Oslo Streetcar a.jpg
20160903 Oslo Streetcar b.jpg

Last edited:
Any time anyone on council says safety or cycling matters, they should be sent that graphic in response. Only one thing matters to them and that's motorists from the 905 getting downtown as fast as possible.

It's just heartbreaking to think of all the good we could do with the amount of money we are spending on an antiquated highway. We could have a cycle network that doesn't get people killed, we could actually do Vision Zero, we could resurface roads so every day drivers don't wreck their cars taking their kids to school. But no, all that matters is the Gardiner. Which is a damn highway and shouldn't even be the city's problem in the first place.

Back