News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 664     1 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

My God, the intersection of Bay and Harbour is scary. I was waiting for the 72 Pape yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. A Jays game was almost over, a family event at the Scotiabank Arena just ended, and throngs of people were walking to the Rubber Duck event at the lake. I can't tell you how many near driver-on-pedestrian collisions I witnessed in the fifteen minutes I waited for the bus.

I recognize this was an unusually chaotic time for a September weekend, but it was still alarming.

My God, the intersection of Bay and Harbour is scary. I was waiting for the 72 Pape yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. A Jays game was almost over, a family event at the Scotiabank Arena just ended, and throngs of people were walking to the Rubber Duck event at the lake. I can't tell you how many near driver-on-pedestrian collisions I witnessed in the fifteen minutes I waited for the bus.

I recognize this was an unusually chaotic time for a September weekend, but it was still alarming.

The redesigned Bay Street with cycle tracks and wide sidewalks will likely help alot.............one day.

Its waiting on the Waterfront East LRT to go ahead, as the street will be dug up for the tunnel/station work.

Now....that will also probably, produce an even more problematic intersection during construction.

I went up Bay from the lake to Front on Saturday at 5ish with my kid on the back of my bike. It wasn't an experience I'd love to have again. But he did like the duck and the island, and we stopped at the CIBC elevated park, which he loved. I'm puzzled by the tiny bike lane under the tracks, but it was a lot better than the rest of the ride.

And BTW, the alley under the construction of CIBC phase 2 between Bay and Yonge is not open now, even if it may have been last week at some point.

On Bathurst Street south of the 401, the city painted a white line to separate traffic from the sidewalk. It’s not a bike lane though. Besides creating a buffer between pedestrians and cars, what’s the use of this mini-lane?

Attachments

• IMG_9881.png
    IMG_9881.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 38
On Bathurst Street south of the 401, the city painted a white line to separate traffic from the sidewalk. It’s not a bike lane though. Besides creating a buffer between pedestrians and cars, what’s the use of this mini-lane?

Lane re-striping may be done simply to narrow car travel lanes with the intent of reducing speed.

The curb stripe would never be marked as a bike lane, both due to its inadquate width, and because its often intermittent.

It may also serve to free-up some space for other changes when sidewalks/boulevards are reconstructed.

Cycling infra is planned for Bathurst, with work on the section from Sheppard to Steeles beginning as soon as next year (fingers crossed)

Lane re-striping may be done simply to narrow car travel lanes with the intent of reducing speed.

The curb stripe would never be marked as a bike lane, both due to its inadquate width, and because its often intermittent.

It may also serve to free-up some space for other changes when sidewalks/boulevards are reconstructed.

Cycling infra is planned for Bathurst, with work on the section from Sheppard to Steeles beginning as soon as next year (fingers crossed)

the sidewalks were just re-done last year. why doesn't the city install a cheap physical barrier (like concrete blocks) so that pedestrians can use that space? or a nicer barrier like flower boxes to beautify the space and allow pedestrians to use it? right now it's just dead space, but I agree it has the effect of narrowing traffic lanes.

do you have a link to any materials on the planned cycling infrastructure north of Sheppard?

the sidewalks were just re-done last year. why doesn't the city install a cheap physical barrier (like concrete blocks) so that pedestrians can use that space? or a nicer barrier like flower boxes to beautify the space and allow pedestrians to use it? right now it's just dead space, but I agree it has the effect of narrowing traffic lanes.

Not sure what the rationale was behind that choice, or lack of same.

Just looked up bikeway construction on Bathurst, don't see work south of Wilson listed at the moment, but Wilson to Bainbridge is currently penciled in for 2030.

do you have a link to any materials on the planned cycling infrastructure north of Sheppard?

Not yet, hopefully, the consultation materials will be out this fall, otherwise the project will slip to 2025.

Not sure what the rationale was behind that choice, or lack of same.

Just looked up bikeway construction on Bathurst, don't see work south of Wilson listed at the moment, but Wilson to Bainbridge is currently penciled in for 2030.

Not yet, hopefully, the consultation materials will be out this fall, otherwise the project will slip to 2025.

would this cycling infrastructure be physically separated ("cycle track") or a painted lines/diamonds ("bike lanes")

I just noticed these starting to crop up recently in Mississauga and decided to investigate. Mississauga has now implemented/is implementing 5 second leading pedestrian intervals at about 200 intersections equipped with accessible signals, as well as leading cycling intervals at 20 intersections with bike signals.

As new intersections are built and upgraded, they will be equipped with accessible signals and LPIs.

Reactions: PL1
Interesting. Odd sign too, with "area" included and in different colours.
The signs for this are identical in Mississauga. I assume the different colour 'area' sign is to emphasize it applies to most of the streets in the area.

Back