News   Apr 25, 2024
 298     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 402     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 605     0 

Riverdale

All my regular joints are now gone. Not sure what to try next, without resorting to Springrolls.
You mean the GO location with the very strange hours? There are plenty of good places left there - Rose Cafe for banh mi, Simon's Wok for Chinese vegetarian, Ka Ka lucky for some fantastic BBQ pork, Hanoi 3 Seasons for some of the best pho in the city, and there's a really great new northern Chinese restaurant called Dumpling House which is really fantastic. Those are just the ones that I frequent - I'm sure there are other decent options, too.

You mean the GO location with the very strange hours?
Hmm, there's a sign that says GO, and another that says Spring Rolls in the font and colours of the Spring Rolls chain. I'd never paid attention to the GO sign before. Is it part of the chain? Yes, never does seem to be open ... very odd.

There are plenty of good places left there - Rose Cafe for banh mi, Simon's Wok for Chinese vegetarian, Ka Ka lucky for some fantastic BBQ pork, Hanoi 3 Seasons for some of the best pho in the city, and there's a really great new northern Chinese restaurant called Dumpling House which is really fantastic. Those are just the ones that I frequent - I'm sure there are other decent options, too.
Oh, I'm sure there are. I've just got to find new ones ... which is a challenge with a very fussy 6-year old, as I'm now afraid to try new places where there's a good chance that there'll not be a thing in the place she'll eat. For the first time since the 1970s those old-school Chinese restaurants that used to have a "Canadian" menu as well appeal to me. Yes, very sad ...

Hmm, there's a sign that says GO, and another that says Spring Rolls in the font and colours of the Spring Rolls chain. I'd never paid attention to the GO sign before. Is it part of the chain? Yes, never does seem to be open ... very odd.

Oh, I'm sure there are. I've just got to find new ones ... which is a challenge with a very fussy 6-year old, as I'm now afraid to try new places where there's a good chance that there'll not be a thing in the place she'll eat. For the first time since the 1970s those old-school Chinese restaurants that used to have a "Canadian" menu as well appeal to me. Yes, very sad ...

Take your 6yo to Mimi's and get one of the BBQ platters where you roll your meal into rice wrappers. Good messy fun, delish, not spicy. Still my two daughters' favourite 10 years later!

Take your 6yo to Mimi's and get one of the BBQ platters where you roll your meal into rice wrappers. Good messy fun, delish, not spicy. Still my two daughters' favourite 10 years later!
Ah, that's a thought. She's so fussy though ... won't touch most meats, most vegetables, potatoes, fruits, tomatoes, ...

Rice, lentils, and cooked beans work ... could probably live off refried beans, lentil soup, and kale. Spice isn't a big probelm. Some bizarre taste thing going on ..

... need to find a noodle dish ...

There's a new country-themed bar/restaurant (Boots and Bourbon Saloon) that has opened in the space of the old Riverdale Public House
Was there last night. Much more lively than Riverside Public ever was. It's fun, but the music was way too loud and the manager refused to turn it down for us despite nobody in the bar being able to hear each other.

You mean the GO location with the very strange hours? There are plenty of good places left there - Rose Cafe for banh mi, Simon's Wok for Chinese vegetarian, Ka Ka lucky for some fantastic BBQ pork, Hanoi 3 Seasons for some of the best pho in the city, and there's a really great new northern Chinese restaurant called Dumpling House which is really fantastic. Those are just the ones that I frequent - I'm sure there are other decent options, too.
Dumpling House is great. Not mentioned, but MiMi's pho is also fantastic.

It may be the next Ossington.

I think it is more likely to follow the trajectory of Roncesvalles. Residents near East Chinatown, especially north into Riverdale tend to me more settled, with a higher number of families and older residents. Ossington has a younger demo with a less desirable housing stock, especially for larger upper-middle class families. Also, with so many Riverdale residents with deep roots in the community, I reckon there would be a much stronger NIMBY movement towards bars, restaurants and mid-rises than the younger and transient Ossington corridor.

Two days late (*sigh...) but Councillor Fletcher held a public presentation on Feb 5 regarding an East Chinese Revitalization study. Undertaken by Ryerson University students studying urban planning, the study looks at enhancements to the social vibrancy, economic vitality and the public realm.

Hopefully the info will be posted on the Paula Fletcher's website later when available.

Has anyone seen these ugly Greek columns the Greektown BIA installed? I only saw them at Pape and at Jones.

kkbLUvq.jpg

The highway type lights along the Danforth are ugly. They just removed that type of lighting along Front Street East, so maybe they are replacing those lights along the Dannforth with new light poles. If that's the case, I'm all for it.

The highway type lights along the Danforth are ugly. They just removed that type of lighting along Front Street East, so maybe they are replacing those lights along the Dannforth with new light poles. If that's the case, I'm all for it.

The photo doesn't accurately display the scale. I believe the columns are higher than the street light poles. They would be very peculiar light poles if they decided to attach arms and street lights to those. The hooks along the side suggest they will be used for flags and banners.

Last edited:
I notice today a banner was strung across the columns at Jones. Did not take a pic, but I think it said 'Welcome to GreekTown'.
The photo doesn't accurately display the scale. I believe the columns are higher than the street light poles. They would very peculiar light poles if they decided to attach arms and street lights to those. The hooks along the side suggest they will be used for flags and banners.

Back