News   Mar 28, 2024
 192     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Riverdale

A friend of mine who lives on The Danforth thinks that attendance for the Taste of the Danforth has slipped the last few years. Could we have hit the saturation point for street/food festivals? Are people getting tired of lineups for $5.00 corn on the cobs?

Last edited:
It was a little less but the reality is the difference between 1.4 mill and 1.2 mill wont stop you from being suffocated from the crowds lol.

The festival itself continues to have a major identity crisis, billed as Toronto’s largest Greek street party yet the entertainment year on year becomes less Greek, can anyone explain what business a miss Asia contest has at this festival? If I’m at a Chinatown festival I don’t expect to see a miss Athens competition. Most of the stuff you see has nothing to do with danforth culture, both new and old. Why isn’t the Greek stage at Logan which is the central part of Greektown? Instead they dump the Greek performers to a tiny stage at Jones Ave away from where most of the Greek businesses are.

I was at a few of the cafes along pape and all the Greeks I spoke to cringe at what the taste has become compared to its early days when it was a proper Greek festival and the crowds were manageable, the organisers would bring a singer from Greece to perform a free concert on the Saturday night, something they haven’t done for about 6 years. When over a million are turning up the organisers probably don’t care but the fact is the community this festival is meant to represent most have turned away from it and pretty much consider it an embarrassment to their culture. I lasted 30 minutes before I gave up and walked up to pape village, all I saw was the usual gimmicky Greek stuff like plate smashing contests.

I don’t want to come across like a sooking Greek, I’m a big advocate for multiculturalism and absolutely love that the non Greek businesses have always been allowed to take part in this, but the fact is the danforth deserves a real cultural Greek festival. A large portion of the entertainment has gone too far the other way, ultimately you have a festival that now pretty much means nothing. If the strip didn’t have so many Greek restaurants the Greek aspect of it would be completely dead, credit to them for trying to provide a bit atmosphere and providing the Greek entertainment, that doesn’t excuse the organisers though who have turned the entire thing into a gimmick fest,

Last edited:
It was a little less but the reality is the difference between 1.4 mill and 1.2 mill wont stop you from being suffocated from the crowds lol.

The festival itself continues to have a major identity crisis, billed as Toronto’s largest Greek street party yet the entertainment year on year becomes less Greek, can anyone explain what business a miss Asia contest has at this festival? If I’m at a Chinatown festival I don’t expect to see a miss Athens competition. Most of the stuff you see has nothing to do with danforth culture, both new and old. Why isn’t the Greek stage at Logan which is the central part of Greektown? Instead they dump the Greek performers to a tiny stage at Jones Ave away from where most of the Greek businesses are.

I was at a few of the cafes along pape and all the Greeks I spoke to cringe at what the taste has become compared to its early days when it was a proper Greek festival and the crowds were manageable, the organisers would bring a singer from Greece to perform a free concert on the Saturday night, something they haven’t done for about 6 years. When over a million are turning up the organisers probably don’t care but the fact is the community this festival is meant to represent most have turned away from it and pretty much consider it an embarrassment to their culture. I lasted 30 minutes before I gave up and walked up to pape village, all I saw was the usual gimmicky Greek stuff like plate smashing contests.

I don’t want to come across like a sooking Greek, I’m a big advocate for multiculturalism and absolutely love that the non Greek businesses have always been allowed to take part in this, but the fact is the danforth deserves a real cultural Greek festival. A large portion of the entertainment has gone too far the other way, ultimately you have a festival that now pretty much means nothing. If the strip didn’t have so many Greek restaurants the Greek aspect of it would be completely dead, credit to them for trying to provide a bit atmosphere and providing the Greek entertainment, that doesn’t excuse the organisers though who have turned the entire thing into a gimmick fest,

In another thread, it was discussed how too many of Toronto's street festivals/ 'tastes of' have become indistinguishable from one another.

There's nothing wrong w/beer gardens or some midway stuff for the kids etc.

But when it comes to the food, if the area is based around a particular culture, that should be highlighted.

Likewise with music, or maybe even a movie at night, if there's a park/public square where that is feasible.

When doing things that aren't unique to a particular culture, the emphasis should still be on promoting the local businesses and creating a distinctive, brandable, memorable experience in a good way.

Do something different.

Ossington might do tequila gardens, and burlesque in the street at night; the entertainment district could revive electric circus on a closed road, the entire street becomes the night club (one night a year);
Some other area decides to highlight classical music and sponsors a free outdoor show by the TSO.

Whatever, just find a mix of unique and representative.

We don't need more of the same everywhere, where everyone's festival looks like everyone else's.

Last edited:
Julianna Social at Broadview & Simpson is amazing and a great new anchor for the clean up of that block.
When your in, ensure you sign their petition to allow a side patio.

Update on the Riverdale Slopped Path:

Update on the Riverdale Sloped Path
City Staff were delayed due to waiting on the final comments from Metrolinx on the 90% design [earlier here I wrote that the design was 100% complete - I was incorrect].
TIMELINES:
  • June 2019 – Comments were received from Metrolinx on the 90% design plans for the ramp.
  • June/July 2019 – Comments were reviewed by staff and Consultant team to determine a way forward and respond to Metrolinx.
  • The comments from Metrolinx on the 90% design plans included two significant new engineering studies that had not been previously requested. These include a Rail Hazard Assessment Study and an Integration of Electrification Requirements Study.
    • The new studies require additional funding to be allocated to the Consultant's purchase order. In the interim the Consultant team was directed by Divisional partners to proceed with the additional work.
    • A purchase order adjustment is in process for adding the funds to the Consultant's purchase order.
    • The two new studies are expected to be completed by October 2019.
    • Design refinements will continue to end of year with project tender anticipated in January 2020.
    • Construction expected to start spring 2020 with completion before end of 2020 (weather depending)

--------

^Michael Holloway
      - slightly edited for this post - via Councillor Paula Fletcher's Constituency Assistant, Nicolas Valverde.

Images via "Lower Don Access Sloped Path Stakeholder Meeting July 19, 2018": https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/9742-lower-don-trail-improvements-stakeholder-meeting-july-2018.pdf

Source:

Speaking of Riverdale Park, drove by earlier and saw yellow fencing along Broadview with some work notices. Any insights on this one?

I went by yesterday and there's a sign saying they're regrading the hill. I have been hoping for the last few years that when/if that hill ever got regraded they would regrade it with a large enough platform to add a multiuse path along the top of the hill. I haven't seen anything to suggest that's the plan which I think is a missed opportunity.

Is it to fix this problem from earlier in the year?

Bingo.

Info:
Announcements

Please Note The Toronto Regional Conservation Authority is rehabilitating and regrading the hill that was was closed to tobogganing last winter due to unsafe conditions. The rehabilitation will create a smoother surface so that we can facilitate tobogganing once more. The project is expected to be completed by the end of October or early November, weather permitting

From here: https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/prd/facilities/complex/343/index.html

Tim Hortons is taking half the space at 426 Danforth (at Arundul). Previously Aegyptus, All Star Wings and Omonia occupied the entire space. The Bell store at 510 Danforth is now permanantly closed. The temporary Rogers store next door (previously PAN Restaurant) is being refitted as a coffee shop as well.

The Only Cafe at Donlands is expanding. It now has four adjacent properties and is bringing down one of the walls for a bigger seating area. Unfortunately I don't believe their back patio is expanding.

You can't help but wonder if many of the Greek restaurants on the Danforth are particularly vulnerable during the pandemic. I bet many were barely hanging on pre-COVID.

Back