River City Condos (Urban Capital) - Real Estate -

One can, of course, change the interior décor quite easily but I understand that the unit layouts are really the problem and they are hard (virtually impossible) to fix.

I think RC 1 had nice layouts with large rooms. A lot of linear kitchens though. RC 2 not as nice and RC3 is just....blech! I've seen a few units in there ad they always gave a grandious kind of vibe. But maybe it's because I was looking at big 2 bedroom units. Haven't been in the smaller ones.

More info plese

It really has been a mess since day one. While things have improved, it's really tested people's patience and their relationships. Hopefully one day it gets better. Maybe the new Management Team will stick and we don't have to go through another painful change here. You know how tragedy + time = comedy? Ya, well we won't ever be laughing about what we and our neighbours went through. It brought out the very worst in us. And that's saying something! Congrats Urban Capital on your achievements.

Hi There,

I'm curious. Aside from the current value Vs. pre-construction value, underpainted balconies and the lobby not-so-desirable furniture and finishes what are some of the other pain points?
I'm currently considering purchasing on phase two and most of the feedback has been very positive and I'm interested in your perspective regarding some of the cons.

Cheers,
J

Hey there,

Aside from the pre-construction value Vs current market value, the unfinished baconies and the issue with the lobby finishes, what are some of the other pain points? I'm considering buyin in phase 2 and most of the feedback has been very positive. I'm interested in your persepective as a not-very-satisfied resident.

Thanks,
J

Hey there,

Aside from the pre-construction value Vs current market value, the unfinished baconies and the issue with the lobby finishes, what are some of the other pain points? I'm considering buyin in phase 2 and most of the feedback has been very positive. I'm interested in your persepective as a not-very-satisfied resident.

Thanks,
J

Hi there. I purchased in Phase 2 on a high floor and to be frank, after doing much due diligence (and probably overpaying lol!), the only (dramatically) negative comments that I have come across are in this forum. lol! I have talked directly with some of the residents in Phase 1 and a couple of the people who bought in Phase 2 and everyone - with the exception of a few "would be nice to have" comments have all been really positive. I think the building exterior and interior are well thought out, well designed, and are more interesting that the average new build condos being offered in Toronto right now. In fact, I find that the whole River City project is actually very exciting, not only because of the interesting design, but because of the historic neighbourhoods that are around it. Riverside to the east and Corktown to the west. Very dynamic and wonderful areas being re-energized. I hope that helps.

It really has been a mess since day one. While things have improved, it's really tested people's patience and their relationships. Hopefully one day it gets better. Maybe the new Management Team will stick and we don't have to go through another painful change here. You know how tragedy + time = comedy? Ya, well we won't ever be laughing about what we and our neighbours went through. It brought out the very worst in us. And that's saying something! Congrats Urban Capital on your achievements.

I am sorry for your bad experiences. That really sucks. It sounds like you have not been having a good time with your new home. I am actually quite curious about your comments "painful change", "what we and our neighbours went through" and "it brought out the very worst in us". What happened?? It sounds like you went through a zombie apocalypse at your condo (apologies but it just sounds dramatically scary). I have talked with a few residents of Phase 1 and no one has mentioned anything on this level of catastrophe. If you don't mind, please tell us what happened!

I posted earlier on this thread asking about the property management. And it looks like they were indeed changed, from First Residential to Brookfield. Not sure if that means there was some negative experience before.

Another thing I am finding out is that there is a significant lack of parking space at this building. Only really large units have the right to buy them, and phase I and II have to share a grand total of 5 visitor spots?!?! Really tough for friends to come from Markham or even Scarborough! Hopefully there will be more paid parking (i.e. Green P lots or indoor facilities) when the Pan Am area is built up...

I posted earlier on this thread asking about the property management. And it looks like they were indeed changed, from First Residential to Brookfield. Not sure if that means there was some negative experience before.

Another thing I am finding out is that there is a significant lack of parking space at this building. Only really large units have the right to buy them, and phase I and II have to share a grand total of 5 visitor spots?!?! Really tough for friends to come from Markham or even Scarborough! Hopefully there will be more paid parking (i.e. Green P lots or indoor facilities) when the Pan Am area is built up...
Many buildings downtown have zero visitor parking, I was pleasantly surprised there were five spots, to be honest.

Phase I and II have to share a grand total of 5 visitor spots?!?! Really tough for friends to come from Markham or even Scarborough!

If your suburban friends are like my suburban friends when I lived in CityPlace, they'll soon stop coming over to see you entirely because of lack of decent packing.

You'll then have to explain that you live in a city that actively discourages driving and have they considered cycling down from Markham to see you in the middle of the winter of perhaps taking a GO bus in from the edge of Scarborough. They're sure to see the light and want to make the added effort to visit you. Especially if they have small children. Cars and parking spaces for those cars are useless. Embrace it!

If your suburban friends are like my suburban friends when I lived in CityPlace, they'll soon stop coming over to see you entirely because of lack of decent packing.

You'll then have to explain that you live in a city that actively discourages driving and have they considered cycling down from Markham to see you in the middle of the winter of perhaps taking a GO bus in from the edge of Scarborough. They're sure to see the light and want to make the added effort to visit you. Especially if they have small children. Cars and parking spaces for those cars are useless. Embrace it!

Well, to be honest I would prefer personal air transportation a la Jetsons. I am not a frequent visitor on this board, and I am just comparing with my previous condo (Bridge at Joe Shuster). My wife and I thought the developer was corner-cutting and nickel-diming, and even they put in 50 visitor spots (plus another 50 for visitors at the adjacent Fuzion).

River City does have good transportation options on the Queen/King streetcars, but being located near the DVP got me wrongly assuming it would be car-friendly.

Why drive? Take the TTC!

All sarcasm aside, I live just up the street in Corktown and I love that I have the option of cycling, transit or driving. Each is great its own right for different purposes. I'd hate to have any of those options limited.

Why not get a scooter or motorcycle for the summer and use Car2Go in the winter &/or for 905/519 road trips?

Car2Go has these great $50 deals where you can use the car all day. Great for exploring Ontario!

Great point - there are alternative options! There are 2 Autoshare cars in River City and I believe they are expanding that when Phase 2 is completed. Further, Autoshare and Zip Cars have other locations close by if those cars are reserved. I will admit, other than street parking, the closest parking lot is at Broadview and Queen or Parliament and King...from what I know - but I would assume the city has planned for parking in the West Don Lands precinct considering it is a planned community. Hopefully there will be a Car2Go and a Bikeshare location close to Rivercity very soon too!

As you can imagine, most of the unit layouts are square, but teeny tiny. The penthouses were good value when they first went on sale and ones facing west would have great "forever" views. The architecture is awesome. That's never been an issue. It's Bluescape's lack of quality in construction and tons and tons of deficiencies, coupled with the type of people that live here, that should put up many red flags for those who don't live here but are considering it.

The complex is well known in Corktown as being nicknamed 'The Frat House' for a reason. If you fit in that crowd, then welcome: bring your buddies and their buddies and lots of alcohol and pot and loud music every weekend and enjoy.

Back