News   Jul 25, 2024
 303     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 400     0 

Rinks & Scrimmage Hockey

iceritchie

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, we will be travelling for the third time in 2 years to Toronto. This time we are visiting in 3rd Dec to 10th instead of the normal February for our trip. Are the main outdoor ice rinks i.e. Nathan Phillips and Harbourfront now open?

Also my lad who is 11 yrs old and plays Ice Hockey here in the UK has the ambition to have a hockey scrimmage outdoors. Is there any drop in sessions he could attend and would he need any personal kit other than skates and stick as we dont want to transport his entire gear. I understand Dufferin Park may do something, but will the rink be open then?

Thanks for any responses forthcoming.

Neil

There's an outdoor rink at Shuter & Sumach (Regent Park/Corktown border) in downtown east. There are regular scrimmages and folks seem not to play with equipment.

Dufferin Grove, Withrow Park and Ramsden park all have great calibre Shinny (scrimmage) I think you maybe a week early, they used to open first week of December, now it tends to be around the 10-20th, hope for cold weather and you might be in luck.

Thanks guys, if the City Hall and Harbourfront are open at last his thirst to skate will be ok irrespective of hockey

Dufferin Grove, Withrow Park and Ramsden park all have great calibre Shinny (scrimmage) I think you maybe a week early, they used to open first week of December, now it tends to be around the 10-20th, hope for cold weather and you might be in luck.

Yeah, I don't think they'll be open.

I hit Withrow once, and it was a gong show. 11 on 11 with full benches.... I have found some better places to play, but they will stay secret ;)

Yeah, I don't think they'll be open.

I hit Withrow once, and it was a gong show. 11 on 11 with full benches.... I have found some better places to play, but they will stay secret ;)

I depends on what days you go, saturday afternoon and wednesday nights are rammed, but at least there are a few guys that can actually play there.

If you don't mind him staying up late, just turn up at the harbourfront or NPS rinks around midnight. You'll usually find someone there playing stick-n-puck. In my experience (as someone from the UK living in Toronto), people will only be too willing to let your lad play.

Ya, they play hockey at Nathan Phillips Square after the rink closes. I can't believe it hasn't snowed yet. My skates are sharpened and waiting....

Ramsden Park Outdoor Rink, located at 1020 Yonge St (just North of Yonge and Davenport across from Rosedale Station)

Re-furbished by the City/MLSE/Rona....Leafs practised there yesterday....looks nice.....ice is in and I imagine there would be shinny there.

Ramsden Park Outdoor Rink, located at 1020 Yonge St (just North of Yonge and Davenport across from Rosedale Station)

Re-furbished by the City/MLSE/Rona....Leafs practised there yesterday....looks nice.....ice is in and I imagine there would be shinny there.

Ah, good ol' Ramsden. How much better is the rink now that the Leafs have cleaned it up a bit?

Back in high school me and a group of buddies would hit up Ramsden AFTER it closed for the night. (10 PM I believe) The lights would remain on for a good 2 hours plus after closing so we would get some great games of shinny going, all the while throwing back a few beers down the chute. There's a Canadian winter for ya.

Back