News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

HOM Cafe is opening where Cafe Baccio used to be on Cumberland/Bellair.

IMG_2277.JPG

The former Harlem, under construction/destruction.

Attachments

• IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    711.3 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Lee Garden on Spadina is closed. Caucasian clientle mostly. Strange. I never went in myself - I'm a CBC-er.

Noble (on Dundas just west of Spadina) is closed. Client profile there included lots of older, much older, Toishanese immigrants whose grown children took them there. Funny to see 80 and 90 somethings being attended to by their also gray haired 60 something children. Ooops, that's me.

Lee Garden on Spadina is closed. Caucasian clientle mostly. Strange. I never went in myself - I'm a CBC-er.

Noble (on Dundas just west of Spadina) is closed. Client profile there included lots of older, much older, Toishanese immigrants whose grown children took them there. Funny to see 80 and 90 somethings being attended to by their also gray haired 60 something children. Ooops, that's me.

Could be because the main clientele are Toishanese and more recent arrivals (who aren't even all that recent - they came in the 70s-early 90s) Cantonese prefer Markham or Agincourt? And the younger, CBC hipster crowd don't think places like Nobel are "cool" enough?

Could be because the main clientele are Toishanese and more recent arrivals (who aren't even all that recent - they came in the 70s-early 90s) Cantonese prefer Markham or Agincourt? And the younger, CBC hipster crowd don't think places like Nobel are "cool" enough?

Yes, agree, Markham/Agincourt for those who can't stand the hubbub of downtown or don't live centrally.

CBC hipsters, if they are millenials, don't 'need' or can even be averse to the MSG, salt and oil of Cantonese food. I know my millenial kids don't even need their daily serving of rice.

And there's the 'squeeze' of landlords too..

Toishanese (via HK) here. Not usually an active dim sum goer but my folks prefer Rosewood or Dim Sum King, for Chinatown options. In terms of downtown altogether, Pearl Harbourfront on Queens Quay is probably top choice.

Last edited:
Yes, agree, Markham/Agincourt for those who can't stand the hubbub of downtown or don't live centrally.

CBC hipsters, if they are millenials, don't 'need' or can even be averse to the MSG, salt and oil of Cantonese food. I know my millenial kids don't even need their daily serving of rice.

And there's the 'squeeze' of landlords too..

I'm a couple of years older than the oldest millennial (statistically speaking, anyway) and I agree. MSG can have a WORSE effect on me than caffeine, so I try to avoid it at night. My grains are more varied than my parents' - I eat quinoa, bulgur, freekeh, sorghum, etc, etc... they balk and believe I should be eating rice (or noodles)...or bread.

Toishanese (via HK) here. Not usually an active dim sum goer but my folks prefer Rosewood or Dim Sum King, for Chinatown options. In terms of downtown altogether, Pearl Harbourfront on Queens Quay is probably top choice.

Do they live downtown? My parents also live downtown, but they make the drive up to Markham on weekends because they think the restaurants there are "cleaner." But it isn't like a suburban restaurant CAN'T have violations...

Do they live downtown? My parents also live downtown, but they make the drive up to Markham on weekends because they think the restaurants there are "cleaner." But it isn't like a suburban restaurant CAN'T have violations...

They live in the Davenport area, which is northwest of downtown. Distance and time wise, they'll do certain things downtown. Not necessarily always related to activities regarding the Chinese community. But it also helps having the 127 Bus flow right into Spadina station so they can avoid driving and parking.

Although, they also commonly head up to Scarborough/Markham for specific shops and restaurants they want to go to.

Back