News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

There's a couple of large restaurant spaces on Danforth I can think of that have been have been vacant for a awhile..the space where Pilkilla Grill/Mr Greek's used to be at Carlaw which has been vacant at least a year and there's the large space at Logan (formely Demetra's) which has been empty over a decade!

Also, there was going to be a new sport bar called The Legion in the space formerly held by Myth but when I passed by during TOTD, I noticed that its now been changed to Davos and is still not open

I admit I don't go to Danforth often, probably only twice this year, but this thread on Chowhound already has about 10 restaurant closings on Danforth so far this year.

Not quite, at least not for the stretch we're discussing. Of all the places mentioned, only Pikilia would meet the phenomenom you described of places only lasting 2-3 years. Euro Crepe was there for 6 or 7 years, and it was probably the youngest place mentioned. For a couple of the places mentioned, it would be a bit of stretch to call them restaurants (Sweet Tooth was a bakery, and Dash was prepared foods/deli).

There's a couple of large restaurant spaces on Danforth I can think of that have been have been vacant for a awhile..the space where Pilkilla Grill/Mr Greek's used to be at Carlaw which has been vacant at least a year and there's the large space at Logan (formely Demetra's) which has been empty over a decade!

Also, there was going to be a new sport bar called The Legion in the space formerly held by Myth but when I passed by during TOTD, I noticed that its now been changed to Davos and is still not open

I'd love to know what happened there. It was supposed to be a sports bar called Legion, all the signage went up, it appeared to be up and running (not sure if it was open to the public, or just pre-opening parties). Then, right before TOTD, it suddenly became the Davos Supper Club. It was actually open during TOTD. Not sure if they inadvertently violated some trademark for Legion sports bars, or the owner ran into financial problems just as it was opening and someone else swooped in. Regardless of the name, the Disneyesque fake Greek-temple facade is terrible.

Demetra's is fascinating. Closed more than ten years, but the tables inside are still set up, with plastic flowers on each one. Someone must be dusting. My neighbour, who seems to know all the gossip, says the owner is unreasonable to deal with, so no one can seem to make a deal to buy or lease the space. He heard that from one of the other parents at Jackman school. Not sure if it is true or not. If so, it seems like the space is similar to that old tavern on Bloor in the Annex, owned by the crazy widow, which stayed empty for years until she died and it became BMV books.

Yeah, I think the main problem is greedy building owners/landlords..most of the businesses along the Danforth were prob doing a decent trade but because their leases are very expensive, they cannot survive for long...one business owner who was in the neighbourhood for years told me that he had to move to where the leases were cheaper

Fran's on College recently got a nice exterior makeover. The 3rd floor patio goes by a different name but could still be run by Fran's.

franspatio.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what to say about the fake-brick facing (but yeah, could be worse)

I don't know if it has been mentioned on here, but the "world famous" Chick 'n' Deli on Mt. Pleasant south of Eglinton has been closed for months for renovations. The giant chicken that was on the roof is now gone.

It's called "People's Chicken" now. It looks to be opening soon.

Lai Toh Heen on Mt Pleasant closing up shop for good Sept 18. Look for an Italian resto to take it's place, serving, amongst the usual Italian fare, certified neopolitan pizza along the lines of Libretto, QMP, and Pizza e Pazzi. Should be better than the so-so Viva Napoli that has opened across the street.

Back