News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 385     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Nice to see Timmy's is keeping the kitschy sign thing going, there's not nearly enough of this stuff around anymore. I really miss the Big Boy and Ronald McDonald statues.

timcup.jpg

The Gourmet Burger Company heads to the wild west...(Etobicoke).....;)

843 Kipling Avenue (roughly at Advance, just a bit south of Dundas.

Yeah, that place was empty for years and before that it briefly served as a skeezy Polish "dance club", where upon entry (the one and only time I went there) some asshole at the door asked me if I was a guy or a chick. Before that it was Solid Gold II, a strip club. There used to be quite a few strip clubs in this part of Etobicoke, but alas, they have all disappeared, and thanks to a pathetic, totally out of date prudish attitude at city hall in the form of a joke by-law, no new ones are allowed to open.

Though one wonders if strip clubs, like streetwalkers, are a quasi-anachronism these days.

Anyway, there are a few of those Tim's-cup signs around (a conspicuous one being on Yonge N of Bloor).

That Boop's practically a paradoxical echo of the original Dixie Lee mascot
Dixieleelogos.png

Great! A new place to get breakfast. Although the Victoria Street location is basically the same distance from me. I wish there was a breakfast/diner place like this in the entertainment district.

Brand new Fran's on Front near Yonge. This chain was almost dead about 10 years ago, nice to see them fight back.

Their near death was deserved. The food quality had deteriorated while the prices kept rising. A predictable result when you have 100 items on the menu.
They also faced a lot more late night competition with the proliferation of Shwarma shops which often stay open late.
I haven't been in one for about 3 years, when I stopped in for a 3am breakfast. Have they improved at all?

Last edited:

Back