News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 699     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

I also notice that at 33 Yonge, they seem to be finally be removing the spiral stairs to the dead second-floor terrace...

They are redoing the whole block of Front Street (the building has a Yonge Street address) from Yonge to Scott and I think that O&B will be where Shopsy's used to be and Fran's will be at the Scott Street end - with Biff's in the middle. (Or vice versa). O&B and Biff's have same owner and I think thery will share same kitchen

Richtree at Brookfield Place is closed and boarded up today. Marche is coming back to that location!

Had an amazing pulled pork sandwich at Stockyards yesterday! Across the street, at St Clair West and Arlington, another attractive restaurant is about to open: The Prop.

dsc00081ik.jpg

Had an amazing pulled pork sandwich at Stockyards yesterday! Across the street, at St Clair West and Arlington, another attractive restaurant is about to open: The Prop.

NOW printed a rumor that Stockyards is going to open more locations this year. I'm keeping everything crossed that they open one closer than where it is now. That place is absurdly good but is too far to be anything but a destination place at moment.

Nice to see something open up in the old Strand hotel building. It's been empty way too long.

I remember way way back.....Denison's brew pub was there. I had just started working nearby and wandered in one night after work and ordered a beer....not realizing the place was brand new (it had that exposed brick "looks old" decor) and that day was actually a staff-training /testing/tasting day and that the door was supposed to be closed. After a few chuckles they pulled me a pint and brought me some food. Loved it and became a regular until my job moved.

Always thought it was a great space and wish the new joint well!

4 Feb 2010: Landlords can seem like such cruel asses occasionally, given the fact Taro Grill has basically made the landlord money here all these years....

Taro Grill (Queen and Portland) is history:

dsc00385sl.jpg

Meanwhile, further west, I had noticed the Spice Trader/Olive Pit location for lease last weekend, and wondered if it had entered the dead pool. No, it hasn't, and is moving to the short-lived Madras Pantry space about 20 doors west, as just as I walked by the owner put up this sign:

dsc00387np.jpg

Last edited:
Tatami Sushi is opening in the former Strata Shoes location at Yonge & Gould. Nice to see a restaurant here. Will hopefully animate the corner more than the previous tenant.

4 Feb 2010: Landlords can seem like such cruel asses occasionally, given the fact Taro Grill has basically made the landlord money here all these years....

Taro Grill (Queen and Portland) is history:

Not sure why it makes them asses? They are owed $7k....presumably they tried to collect it before locking the tenant out and presumably they were not going to get it. What are they supposed to do just sit back and say...ok no rent that's fine? The only money they would have mde the landlord all these years is the rent that they paid for the use of the landlords space...since they appear unwilling/unable to pay that rent, I think the landlord has no other option.

Tatami Sushi is opening in the former Strata Shoes location at Yonge & Gould. Nice to see a restaurant here. Will hopefully animate the corner more than the previous tenant.

Not to be negative here but I hope they last longer than a few months (given the recent history of stores / restaurants in that space).

The problem with that corner space is the landlord and agent try to charge over $30,000 a month.

Back