Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Here are the Canadian violent crime rates from 1962 to 2007:

CanadaViolentCrime.gif

However, the Ontario (violent plus non-violent) rates are not that bed. From Wikipedia:

The province with the lowest crime rate in 2006 was for the third straight year Ontario with 5,689 per 100,000, followed by Quebec with 5909 per 100,000. The province with the highest crime rate for the 9th straight year was Saskatchewan with 13,711 per 100,000. Saskatoon is the city with the highest crime rate following by its provincial counterpart Regina.

The 2006 murder rate, in descending order by province and territory (murders per 100,000 per year):

6.5 Nunavut
4.1 Saskatchewan
3.3 Manitoba
2.8 Alberta
2.5 British Columbia
1.7 Nova Scotia
1.5 Ontario
1.4 Newfoundland and Labrador
1.2 Quebec
0.9 New Brunswick
0.7 Prince Edward Island
0.0 Yukon
0.0 North West Territory

The national average is 1.9 per 100,000 per year. By comparison, the US national average is 5.5 per 100,000 per year, with individual states ranging from 1.4 (Maine, New Hampshire and North Dakota) to 12.7 (Louisiana).

Actually, when I look at the US results by state, I see a clear pattern, where New England and the other northern states have violent crime and murder rates basically identical to those in Canada (with the northeastern states being in the same group as the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario, and the northern Plains states being at similar levels to the Prairie provinces and British Columbia.) On the other hand, the states making up the former Confederacy, plus the southwestern states and California, have much higher violent crime and murder rates.

The US really does appear to consist of two halves, the northern half being similar to Canada in many ways, and the southern half being much more violent and intolerant.

Last edited:
about the construction cam

dose any one know if the cam was turned of or removed.. i am not getting the live cam update no longer..

When the cam is usually down it means it's being moved cause the Ritz has gotten to tall to capture the action.. No one knows where it's gonna be moved but I think it will just be re-angled or taken from ground level from a distance...

Here's a photo taken TODAY to prove the 53rd floor is COMPLETE!

BRING ON THE SLANT!

4169336176_6bdd56b91a_b.jpg

Edit: Photo was by Mo-tage

Last edited:
the glasscladding work snaking its way to the top of the building

it must be very difficult and tricky to instal such large panels in this extremely windy day. The wind on the ground level is ok, but here at my altitude is terrible, at the Ritz is even worse as they work in the open and higher up.

it must be very difficult and tricky to instal such large panels in this extremely windy day. The wind on the ground level is ok, but here at my altitude is terrible, at the Ritz is even worse as they work in the open and higher up.

And being close to the lake could make it a little windier too

A photo this aft. from my POV. It's snowing a bit so it's not a great shot but you can see work is moving forward on the west side of the roof, if you squint :)

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I am so thankful I dont work outside on days like this! But these guys just keep going so us skyscraper geeks can have update pics - now thats dedication!

Back