980     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 852     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

Rental question -- appliances

B

bb2010

Ok, here's hoping I've posted this in the correct section. I hope to start renting a new condo in the fall. A few questions:

1) Most rental listings say "extras" for appliances -- does this mean one pays extra for these to be included in the rent, or are they included in the rental price?

2) This leads me to the next question. If I hate the appliances which are in the condo, and want to bring my own into the condo, is it standard practice that the lessor (landlord/landlady) gets those appliances removed and then I as lessee (tenant) negotiate a new rental rate with him/her based on the exclusion of these appliances?

Anybody who can chime in on these issues, please do. For example, one condo I looked at - great location - but fridge without ice-maker and lack of appliances' quality that is a bit disappointing. And this was at a Remax listing, lol. I'd really like to bring in my own fridge, microwave, washer/dryer, etc., but of course whether there would be a discounted rental rate for the condo then would be my big concern.

Cheers in advance,
B.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen a condo rented without a stove and fridge, and usually also a dishwasher, washer, and dryer in newer condos. I've also never seen the price not include the appliances. If the price listed on the ad doesn't include something, it's probably hydro and/or parking.

As for your second question, you can always ask the landlord to replace the appliances with better ones or remove them so you can bring in your own, but I doubt he'd agree as that is a lot of trouble for him, he'd more likely just wait for another tenant. (And what's the big deal about an ice-maker, I have never had one. Even my parents don't have one.)

Cheers for the reply. Put it down to finnickyness, lol. I'm a European, you see, and always wanted to get an ice and crushed-ice dispensing side-by-side refrigerator on my move to North America. (Most Europeans don't have 'em.). I'm sure there are others here who like side-by-sides, and have 'em, what with the wickedly hot weather you're having there in T.O., eh?!

I edited my post after you sent yours. I'm hoping to rent from Remax. Thing is, I'm likely to be a long-term lessee (more than 2 years), so I'd really like my own stuff, appliances, etc. to enjoy.

Other opinions welcome, folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if high end appliances are important to you, I think you should hold out until you find exactly what you want. There's certainly no shortage of condos for rent in the GTA any more, and the number is starting to increase.

Hi bb2010,

I have experience in this as a residential landlord.

You will have a lot of room to negotiate if you are dealing with a private landlord. Some new condo investors likely will not have even purchased appliances and would be more than happy for you to supply your own.

If the landlord has multiple properties, they may agree to take out the existing appliances and store them or put them in another unit. Make sure that whatever happens, it is clearly stated in the lease. Often the 'standard leases' used by real estate agents doesn't include a lot of important information that protects both good landlords and good tenants.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Scott

Last edited:
Hi bb2010,

I have experience in this as a residential landlord.

You will have a lot of room to negotiate if you are dealing with a private landlord. Some new condo investors likely will not have even purchased appliances and would be more than happy for you to supply your own.

Scott

hi Scott,

which new condo projects have you viewed did not come with appliances?
every one that i've seen includes them.

I should have written new investors buying condos.

Most places will come with appliances. However, there are people who are buying investment properties who don't want the existing older style fridges and stoves and want to upgrade to try to attract a higher paying or more qualified tenant. So part of the Purchase and Sale agreement is for the place to be empty.

I did this recently in a house I bought and rented out. The house was very nice and in a good area. The fridge was an old GE energy sucker, there was a washer and dryer they wanted to leave behind that I would have needed to take to junkyard and the stove was very old with an outdated fanning system. I told them I wanted the place empty upon closing. I spent some money on new appliances. The new stove and range was very modern with a microwave installed. Modern fridge. It gave my property a nice look and a competitive edge and I found some very good tenants (good stable jobs, high credit rating, references).

Although the new appliances might have not been what led them to want my place... It could have been the new and cute mailbox I put up in place of the old clunker that was there :)

Scott

Last edited:

Back