Markham Remington Centre | ?m | 33s | Remington Group | Kohn

The Remington Centre Achieves Landmark Sales; Confirms Commuter Hub Status

Press release from December mentions GO and VIVA being stations on-site. I believe they are also negotiating with the TTC.

http://ideaworkshop.ca/client_news/?tag=remington-centre

- Development on track to transform Markham retail landscape -

Markham, ON (DATE) – The Remington Centre, one of the biggest retail developments in Canada, announced today that over 80% of available retail condominiums have been pre-sold. In addition to pre-selling over 500 units, The Remington Centre has made key agreements with the Town of Markham that will position the property as a commuter hub. For public transportation users, GO Transit and VIVA public transportation will both have stations on-site.

Located in Markham, Ontario and scheduled for ground breaking in 2013, The Remington Centre will feature over 700 retailers from all over the world. As Canada’s first cross-over lifestyle destination, the centre will not only be home to a breadth of retailers, but also serve as a key entertainment and tourist hub. Coupled with plans for luxury residences, this mega-shopping destination includes significant infrastructure and transportation improvements that are sure to change the landscape of Markham.

As well, 3,500 covered and outdoor parking spaces will allow motorists to conveniently reach the centre, located at the corner of Steeles Avenue and Kennedy Road by the GTA’s three primary highways, providing access from the North, East, and West of Toronto.

“The momentum of this project continues to gain speed as we get closer to construction. Thus far, over 500 units have been sold—that’s 80% of the retail condos available for sale,†comments Wayne Chan, Vice President of Commercial and Residential Property Investments for The Remington Centre.

The project is now in the leasing phase and a multi-million dollar sales centre, located at 1668 Denison Street in Markham, is set to open in the summer of 2012. The sales centre will showcase a model of the future development, many technological innovations, meeting and presentation spaces, as well as on-site Remington Centre leasing agents. Further details are available on the newly launched website, www.remingtoncentre.ca

Mr. Chan continued, “We exhibited for the first time this year at the International Council of Shopping Centers and received very positive feedback. I think that’s due to the uniqueness of the project. Nobody else is as commuter friendly, nor tourist focused.â€

No other shopping centre can stay open as late, or as long. The Remington Centre’s special Tourist Designation which allows for 365 days of shopping and late-night entertainment and dining options. Visitors to the Remington Centre can take advantage of Canada’s first and only Indoor Night Market, open late until 3am.

There is an up to date video on the site.

I'm not sure why they decided to change the original design of the condos, what remains is far less interesting, actually it's very blocky.

I'm not sure about this whole development ... this is bound to hurt downtown Markham given the extreme proximity of the two.

With the renderings posted above I thought it was going to be one monstrous condo block, but the overhead view gave some relief. It's still two towers.

ext2_big.jpg

I'm not sure about this whole development ... this is bound to hurt downtown Markham given the extreme proximity of the two.

Well, Pacific Mall was going to expand either way, so Remington might as well expand Market Village as well as build Downtown Markham. In theory at least they aren't competing directly since Downtown Markham is looking for high-end international retailers and this project would be smaller retail spaces focused mainly on a particular demographic. Whether or not Downtown Markham can attract major high-end retailers is a pretty big question mark, but at any rate I would expect its retail to be more "mainstream" than at the Remington Centre.

Press release from December mentions GO and VIVA being stations on-site. I believe they are also negotiating with the TTC.

http://ideaworkshop.ca/client_news/?tag=remington-centre

- Development on track to transform Markham retail landscape -

Markham, ON (DATE) – The Remington Centre, one of the biggest retail developments in Canada, announced today that over 80% of available retail condominiums have been pre-sold. In addition to pre-selling over 500 units, The Remington Centre has made key agreements with the Town of Markham that will position the property as a commuter hub. For public transportation users, GO Transit and VIVA public transportation will both have stations on-site.

Located in Markham, Ontario and scheduled for ground breaking in 2013, The Remington Centre will feature over 700 retailers from all over the world. As Canada’s first cross-over lifestyle destination, the centre will not only be home to a breadth of retailers, but also serve as a key entertainment and tourist hub. Coupled with plans for luxury residences, this mega-shopping destination includes significant infrastructure and transportation improvements that are sure to change the landscape of Markham.

As well, 3,500 covered and outdoor parking spaces will allow motorists to conveniently reach the centre, located at the corner of Steeles Avenue and Kennedy Road by the GTA’s three primary highways, providing access from the North, East, and West of Toronto.

“The momentum of this project continues to gain speed as we get closer to construction. Thus far, over 500 units have been sold—that’s 80% of the retail condos available for sale,” comments Wayne Chan, Vice President of Commercial and Residential Property Investments for The Remington Centre.

The project is now in the leasing phase and a multi-million dollar sales centre, located at 1668 Denison Street in Markham, is set to open in the summer of 2012. The sales centre will showcase a model of the future development, many technological innovations, meeting and presentation spaces, as well as on-site Remington Centre leasing agents. Further details are available on the newly launched website, www.remingtoncentre.ca

Mr. Chan continued, “We exhibited for the first time this year at the International Council of Shopping Centers and received very positive feedback. I think that’s due to the uniqueness of the project. Nobody else is as commuter friendly, nor tourist focused.”

No other shopping centre can stay open as late, or as long. The Remington Centre’s special Tourist Designation which allows for 365 days of shopping and late-night entertainment and dining options. Visitors to the Remington Centre can take advantage of Canada’s first and only Indoor Night Market, open late until 3am.

That's fantastic that VIVA will serve the RC and PMall! I've long argued that VIVA along Kennedy was needed. I hope the eventual plan is for VIVA between Major Mac and a renovated Kennedy Station in Scarborough. For now, a route between Markham Centre and RC/PMall would be a good start.

I wonder if a GO bridge or tunnel will connect the site to Milliken GO station? So many people already jaywalk across Steeles by the railway crossing when trains arrive that I think this would be a HUGE safety improvement.

im curious, what do you all think would be the nature of the GO station/stops? Given that Milliken station is across the street....

im curious, what do you all think would be the nature of the GO station/stops? Given that Milliken station is across the street....

Hopefully a bridge across Steeles that could also connect Splendid China Tower so that the three malls would be connected. Presumably GO and the three mall developers could share costs? Obviously removing the level crossing would be ideal, but since Steeles is controlled by Toronto, Markham's pro-transit administration will be squashed by Ford Nation yet again.

The mall looks so generic. It could be a suburban mall in any North American city. Why would they not incorporate some Asian design elements? Why not make it a little more urban and pedestrian friendly? I think it would be a great place for some outdoor patios for restaurants and cafes. Why not make a public square surrounded by eating establishments or some alleys, like they have in Melbourne? There is no attempt to make this mall special in any way. Why would tourists trek all the way out there, unless you give them a unique experience? Since Asians love their street food in night markets, why not have an outdoor area for a big night market that has all kinds of great street eats? It worked well in all the night market festivals I've been to. They attract huge crowds. So far, I see nothing here that will make me want to go there. Even the hotel/condo looks pretty bland. With all the exciting shopping malls in Asia, you would think they would take a few ideas from them and give us something Asian inspired.

The mall looks so generic. It could be a suburban mall in any North American city. Why would they not incorporate some Asian design elements? Why not make it a little more urban and pedestrian friendly? I think it would be a great place for some outdoor patios for restaurants and cafes. Why not make a public square surrounded by eating establishments or some alleys, like they have in Melbourne? There is no attempt to make this mall special in any way. Why would tourists trek all the way out there, unless you give them a unique experience? Since Asians love their street food in night markets, why not have an outdoor area for a big night market that has all kinds of great street eats? It worked well in all the night market festivals I've been to. They attract huge crowds. So far, I see nothing here that will make me want to go there. Even the hotel/condo looks pretty bland. With all the exciting shopping malls in Asia, you would think they would take a few ideas from them and give us something Asian inspired.

I'll tell you why ... because it's crap ...

Having said that, I can see tourist flocking to it ... marketing it as the largest 'asian' mall in North America, or something along those lines.

It will likely flourish as well, the night market will be popular, inside because they want it to be year round ...

So why crap ? Because as you said this is your typical mall, there's no effort to build it differently, in stark contract with downtown markham.

You know what maybe that's OK here though.

The "Canada’s first and only Indoor Night Market, open late until 3am" is pretty unique. Maybe it could be outdoors during the summer? From the fall to spring, you've got to admit it could be pretty cold outside after midnight for a night market, so having it indoors is a selling point.

I'll tell you why ... because it's crap ...

Having said that, I can see tourist flocking to it ... marketing it as the largest 'asian' mall in North America, or something along those lines.

It will likely flourish as well, the night market will be popular, inside because they want it to be year round ...

So why crap ? Because as you said this is your typical mall, there's no effort to build it differently, in stark contract with downtown markham.

You know what maybe that's OK here though.

I don't love the design, but it's better than the fake "main street" storefronts:

market_architecture.jpg

Once this and PMall have expanded, it will be the biggest combined Chinese Mall in North America, so why wouldn't people visit? They will come for the same reasons they come now.

The "Canada’s first and only Indoor Night Market, open late until 3am" is pretty unique. Maybe it could be outdoors during the summer? From the fall to spring, you've got to admit it could be pretty cold outside after midnight for a night market, so having it indoors is a selling point.

Yeah but if you've been to any of those food night markets, those food stalls make so much smoke, I think they'd have to be outdoors. Yes, it could only be done during the spring/summer/fall months when the weather is mild. (but it would be quite cool) I had some really great food at the T & T Waterfront Night Market, last summer. I'd go back for that.

Of course, people will go to the expanded mall, like they do now. Isn't it already the largest Asian mall in NA? I just can't see many tourists going there for just an ordinary mall. Well, if they do, they'd leave being disappointed. I was at Pacific Mall just a few months ago and I enjoyed the food but I found nothing there to buy. The variety of stores is very limited. (if you want something besides DVDs, herbal medicines, cell phones or cheap kid's clothing)

Last edited:
Why are there not a half dozen more towers being built over top of the mall? No green roof requirements? I LOATHE this with every fiber of my being.

The Remington Centre will not be a strip club

The Remington Centre is a brand new, modern-looking 800,000 square feet retail shopping centre which will be located in the present Market Village mall site. It will be connected to Pacific Mall via an indoor walkway . As such, Market Village is scheduled for demolition and construction of the new mall will begin in the third quarter of 2013.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/07/the_remington_centre_will_not_be_a_strip_club/

Back