News   Apr 19, 2024
 39     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 727     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.9K     2 

Regent Park

Most of Gerrard has a commercial tilt to it. The stretch through Cabbagetown/Regent Park could be vibrant, given all of the towers going up (full of potential customers) and the 4 transit stops between River and Parliament. Bring it on, I say.
I agree. But to restore something infers returning it back to what it was. That stretch of southside Gerrard was never retail or commercial, it was residential.

No need to restore the north side of Gerrard. It has restaurants, a glazier, drycleaners, garden centre, and of course the ubiquitous convenience stores.

It appears that it was a mix of townhouses and commercial storefronts:

https://storage.googleapis.com/sidewalk-old-toronto/images/s0372_ss0033b_it0154.jpg
s0372_ss0033b_it0154.jpg

This used to sit on the southwest corner of Parliament and Gerrard:

f1231_it1134.jpg
I believe that's the north side of Gerrard, but not certain. The north side is still retail/commercial now, same as then.

Last edited:
murders are way up this year if we are at 81 already.. don't we usually only have around 60 the entire year? Does that statistic include the van incident in North York?

There is fencing all around the TCHC building at Parliament & Gerrard (Block #1 of the Regent Park plan). I think they might be getting ready for the building to be demoed? Didn't have phone or camera when I was by there earlier.

RP used to be more of a trouble spot but it has more of less dropped off as an issue over the past decade (esp. the last 5 years).
It was built with the best intentions. This NFB film is interesting.... starting off rather Dickensian with its slums, the “new” RP looked so peaceful and clean. Though I felt bad for the one legged kid, hoping he’d grow a new one at the end.

It was built with the best intentions. This NFB film is interesting.... starting off rather Dickensian with its slums, the “new” RP looked so peaceful and clean. Though I felt bad for the one legged kid, hoping he’d grow a new one at the end.

Not that there isn't much genuine truth underneath, but this is less documentary that complete propaganda piece.......yikes!

Looks like some misinformation, as the proposed amendments to Regent Park‘s final phase has nothing to do with adding more affordable housing. Instead it appears that the developers are holding the city hostage, suggesting they’ll refuse to replace the original government owned units unless they can get more market units.

Looks like some misinformation, as the proposed amendments to Regent Park‘s final phase has nothing to do with adding more affordable housing. Instead it appears that the developers are holding the city hostage, suggesting they’ll refuse to replace the original government owned units unless they can get more market units.

The city should just force them to include an additional affordable unit for every new market one. But then the NIMBYs would still whine about the towers that result from it.

Back