News   Aug 23, 2024
 584     0 

Redesign?

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
What would be really cool is to make a unique theme. Something that isn't made by someone else. Purposely made for UT.

Would also be great if UT wasn't just a forum.

I'm more than willing to help out with as much as I can with the limited knowledge I have.

Creating something from scratch takes money which we don't have. That's unless someone from the forum is willing to donate their creative abilities. We had no takers in the past.

I feel I have a strong aesthetic sense mixed with sensibility in my ideas on design.

I am totally willing to help guide the design process as changes are made, and give feedback on a "just another UT user" basis.

I do vow that we keep it with lighter colours in the posting area, because some forums look far too distracting and throw away usefulness for visual appeal. It's actually great how it currently is, if a bit typical for vBulletin.

I suggest we keep it simple and light.

to me it's about the content on the forum that is most important. the design is second. i'll be visiting this forum regardless of the design...unless it's a combo of hot neon colors. ;)

But white text on black background is so.... blahhhh. I really don't think we need to stray too far from what we've got.

None of this redesign business will make the website cost more will it? Because free membership is one of our great strengths.

The redesign will only cost me if I want to spend money on it.

The only reason to redesign is to have it look different from the other forums out there that look the same.

to me it's about the content on the forum that is most important. the design is second. i'll be visiting this forum regardless of the design...unless it's a combo of hot neon colors. ;)

substance over style. word! :)

i just hope there's no risk of losing settings or introducing bugs with a style change. also hope we don't have to relearn the forum, like when GUI's change in programs and you have to figure out where things are.

also, i think blue is a nice color since it's our city color.

Obviously a new theme would be great to get away from this default one.
For themes, I'd stick to a minimal one as well.
I think it's quite easy to design your own theme for forums. I think one would need access to the server though for testing purposes, to make sure it works before deploying it to the live site. I'll take a look at vB's site later.

Back