664     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 305     0 

Red Hill Valley Parkway (Hamilton)

D

Degnaw

google maps
city of Hamilton

How is this happening (I thought ravines were permanently protected)? And how would they possibly achieve a 15:1 tree planting ratio when half the ravine is being taken out?

And on a second note, why do nearly ALL ontario highways use the looping exits, including rural ones?

You're talking about the Red Hill Creek Expressway. You're joining the fight way to late. The Native encampment has been torn down, the protesters sued to their eyeballs, trees dug up, flying squirrels holocausted, concrete poured, Over Budgeted, Dilanni kickbacked...etc etc etc

This disgraceful development will go down as (hopefully) one of the last major rapes of the natural environment in southern Ontario. People fought it for a long time, but eventually McGuinty and Co. caved, and construction started. It runs through one of the most beautiful urban ravines and greenspace areas in southern Ontario. >:

The suspicion also remains, as alluded to by El Chico, that "slightly less than ethical" back room politics in Hamilton may have had something to do with this getting pushed through at the local level. The mayor, DiIanni, is now gone after a term which was filled with controversy.

I don't have figures but I remember reading that Red Hill would be the most expensive highway, per kilometre, ever built in Canada, what with the difficult terrain and the need for many bridges and ramps.

Red Hill Valley Parkway

Several ^s. McGuinty and Co.? Wikipedia suggests that it was during Mike Harris's regime that some provincial funding was reinstated after Bob Rae pulled it. Anyway, it's essentially a Hamilton City-funded project.

Originally the road was to be 6 lanes wide, but has been built 4 lanes wide to minimize its footprint (5th lane for trucks where it climbs the escarpment.) Much of the Red Hill Creek was realigned, and the city is making a big ta-do about how much care has gone into improving the creekbed, and how much is being spent on 'renaturalizing' the valley. You can get lots of info on the project from the city's website here.

Giving a year for the re-landscaping to grow in, I'm planning a trek through the valley in the summer of 2008 to judge for myself if their claims can be taken seriously. Meanwhile, I still remember back in the late 90s clambering down the slopes that were to be cut away for the highway. It was quite a beautiful forest.

That Wikipedia article was very pro-expressway, now it still has a pro-slant. For example, it cites a poll suggesting 75% of Hamilton residents want the highway. Not a poll published at the Hamilton Spectator or anywhere credible, but at a pro-expressway website.

all wiki expressway articles are pro expressway, pro toronto viaduct, pro quackery, etc. make any edits and they get deleted.

"...the city is making a big ta-do about how much care has gone into improving the creekbed, and how much is being spent on 'renaturalizing' the valley."

Yes it was a very attractive wooded area, indeed there are a few areas around Hamilton that are quite spectacular. When I lived in Hamilton a few years ago there was debate about a rare salamander that lived in the valley. It will be interesting to see what effect the freeway really has. The whole thing stinks of dinosaur 70's freeway building.

I don't understand why the freeway needed to take that route at all. Why not connect it around Fruitland Rd? Surely there are less controversial places they could have built that connection.

The reason they built it there was because it was the part of the escarpment which has the lowest grade. If they were to build it near Fruitland Rd, it would have to work its way up one of the steepest parts of the escarpment.

As much as I would rather see some sort of larger scale transit in Hamilton, Highway 20 was at capacity and this local road running through parts of residential was becoming dangerous and overcrowded.

I remember studying about the highway quite alot in the late 90s and how building this highway was supposed to relieve traffic from hamilton's other north/south streets.

But yes, this development is old thinking. They should be spending the money on some lrt lines across the city to get people to think of other options.

If the GO-ALRT system had been built, it would have terminated at a loop through the downtown area. There was also a plan for an ICTS route to branch off this loop and run up the mountain, to the Limeridge Mall area, if I remember correctly. Because of the limited number of accesses up the mountain, Hamilton could be much more supportive of rapid transit than many cities its size. That's just yet another loss that accompanied the cancellation of the GO-ALRT project.

Re: Red Hill Valley Parkway

McGuinty and Co.

My comment wasn't meant to be blatantly partisan, but the fact is that this thing did not move forward during Harris's time, for whatever reason, whether he was pro-environment (somewhat questionable), or simply didn't want to spend the money (as he claimed, and probably closer to the truth). The City, as Interchange points out, is handling most of the funding, but the project would not have gone ahead had it not been approved at the Provincial level.

When you see all of the other needs in Hamilton, and even if you just consider transportation and ignore other pressing needs, you have to question the priorities.

It was quite a beautiful forest.

(emphasis added)

It was indeed. I was familiar with it. Even with hundreds of new trees planted, it won't be the same, to put it mildly.

I’m coming to this one late, I know, but I’m surprised by the thinking I’m seeing here. The idea of the Link and the Red Hill, when they were conceived in the 60s, was to eventually open the Mountain up for commerce. There’s only so much room downtown, and if you’ve seen the street congestion down there, you’ll know why no one’s seriously suggesting placing it there.

No one's doing this for the sh*ts and grins; they're doing it because they need to. The city’s spent close to 25 years now fighting in court, getting the province to keep its commitments, getting the feds off their backs, meeting the challenges of people who seem to think you can eat scenery. I love nature too, believe me; I’m out there every weekend. But this is Canada. We’ve got lots of it. What we don’t have nowadays is tertiary industrial jobs falling out of the trees; they’re all going to China. This is an advantage that we were on the verge of squandering... as we have before.

Folks, Hamilton’s dying. The steel mills don’t guarantee your son a job just cause you had one like they did 30 years ago. Stelco’s been on the ropes for years. Dofasco’s future is unclear. The city’s not what it was even when I lived there, but it could be again. What Hamilton’s trying, quietly, desperately, and, I would say, with some glimmerings of success to do is to inaugurate light industry up in the vicinity of Mt. Hope Airport. It’s a regional hub for FedEx; you can fly straight to Heathrow out of there these days, and there’s nothing around it... yet. It’s golden. The trick is, you have to get to it. You have to get supplies to the area in a timely fashion, and you have to be able to get your product back out again. A few miles away, down there off the Mountain (the Ditch?) is the QEW, which is your quickest route to the States. To get to and from it right now means driving past where the RHC will soon join it, all the way through downtown on the Chedoke Expressway, up the escarpment, then doubling back again half the distance (and then the reverse). That’s needlessly expensive and it’s enough to make people look elsewhere... Burlington, or other places on the Niagara Escarpment. Naturally, people in Hamilton want that industry and those jobs. They managed to build the Link... it ate up a good chunk of what was my backyard when I was a kid... but it’s just about useless without that second leg. And thank God, they’re getting it. I don’t know whether 75% of Hamiltonians want it, but I would hardly be surprised if those who did were in the clear majority. Anything else is like a drowning man bitching about the lifeline thrown to him being made of nylon instead of organic hemp.

Just looking at Google Earth and I'm curious...

*Is "The Linc" a City of Hamilton highway or provincial? If provincial, does it have a 400-number?

*Will the Red Hill Creek Expressway actually be called that? Or is it really just an extension of "The Linc"?

Back