News   Apr 25, 2024
 289     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 910     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 945     0 

Really Well Built Condos

Does anyone know if you're allowed to put new drywall over the existing drywall in a condo unit?

My thinking is to use 3/4 inch drywall with green glue for soundproofing.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to put new drywall over the existing drywall in a condo unit?

I don't see how that would be a problem. Just check with the board, I guess.

Anything can help but one more layer of drywall probably won't make much difference in terms of sound proofing. It might bump your STC rating by 1 or 2 points out of say 50.

I was at an interesting talk given by a researcher from NRC who was working on creating new soundproofing requirements for the building code. Interesting points included:

-Most sound issues do not come from the sound rating of the wall itself. Usually they come from a short-cut or flanking path
-A short-cut could be something like a back-to-back plug on the walls of the two units. A flanking path is where the sound goes around or under or over the wall
-Flanking paths will be addressed in the new building code (builders will hate this). You might be better building up your floor or ceiling if you are hearing sound coming "through the wall".
-For technical geeks: there is an interesting resonance point in the sound profile of any wall due to it's mass and shape. That means you can sometimes "magically" hear certain sound frequencies coming from the other side of a wall even if other sounds are not audible. Sometimes people are unlucky with the sound profile of the wall so that certain common frequencies are amplified. An example (although this has more to do with the difference between the sound waves of low and high frequency sounds) I've been to places were you can hear the neighbours voice a bit if they are men but not when they are women.

In virtually all condos the Unit boundaries are the top surface of original dry-wall so adding another layer to it would be inside Unit boundaries and thus allowable. I agree that you need to get the OK from your Board but see no real problem except it is not likely to make all that much difference to sound transmission.

I saw some TV show a month or two ago where the interior designers of a large suite in a Toronto condo used some sort of foam and then colour co-ordinated material on an entire adjoining wall with another unit to warm up the bedroom (cozy, acoustically quieter) and to greatly reduce any noise that could come from the unit on the other side. I thought that was a really interesting idea, though not for everyone.
Well built condos (in my view) with very good sound proofing in the downtown area (from friends or myself who have lived there) - RoCP south tower, Lexington (45 Carlton), Paxton Place (71 Charles E.), 256 Jarvis St., L'esprit (15 Maitland Place), Century Place (24 Wellesley W.), Cosmopolitan (25 Maitland St.), Bloor Walk (100 Hayden St.), Alexus (40 Alexander St.), 1001 Bay St. (though this has grown into a large student population with investment suites over the years). Most listed greatly have owner occupied units, RoCP, Century Place & 1001 Bay are exceptions. If your looking for really large suites check out 256 Jarvis (each suite is 1700+ sq. ft., only four identical suites per floor), Lexington (most suites except on the 3rd floor are 1200-1300 sq. ft.), and Paxton Place (1300-1600 sq. ft) - there are large suites available in most of the other buildings too, roughly 800 - 1500 sq. ft. Many of these buildings were built before heat pumps became popular, so you only get A/C from May 15th - September 15th (+/-) in many of the buildings listed above. Some 80's/90's buildings have hardwood/laminate hardwood/parquet laid directly onto the concrete floor, so there can be noise transmission problems in those units - so always ask the realtor or have him/her check with the site office. Some Boards of buildings have altered the rules & regulations that when carpet comes out in favor of hardwood flooring that approved underlay (aka "floating floors") be installed onto the concrete floor before the hardwood goes in, some don't.
As for older 1960's/1970's apartment blocks, many of them are not so good for noise transmission, despite probably being well built. My experience has been those with plaster on concrete creates poor soundproofing, sound can travel terribly from as far as several floors away. Drywall on concrete creates dramatically better soundproofing. It's rare to find anything other than parquet on concrete in older rentals, which again, can create all sorts of noise problems since carpet went out of favor in the 1980's & 1990's. Some older downtown rentals are fixing this problem with complete suite renovations as people move out, including laminate hardwood with fabric underlay underneath.

My problem is less noise related than inconsiderate neighbours. Two who live in nearby units slam their doors, even after a friendly request to close them more quietly. Imagine reading or working quietly in your unit, and hearing doors slam unexpectedly, Water torture! It’s especially aggravating when you’re stuck at home waiting out this health crisis.

Hello everybody,

New around here so not sure about the reputation of developers, but I was wondering which ones are considered "reputable" when it comes to the quality of the units, completion time, and the living experience of the customer? What I have deduced so far is:

Tridel - Good Quality, Bad Architecture

Daniels - Good Quality, Meh Architecture, Marketing isn't that appealing to the general public.

Concord - Just no

Pinnacle - Deep Pockets, Bland Architecture

Lamb - Good Architecture, Questionable Practices, Maximum Profit

After living in so many of these condos, majority of them suck and part of it is due to the building code. Doesn't help that the building boom meant that the quality tradespeople became few and far between.

Find an older home and renovate it.

Hello everybody,

New around here so not sure about the reputation of developers, but I was wondering which ones are considered "reputable" when it comes to the quality of the units, completion time, and the living experience of the customer? What I have deduced so far is:

Tridel - Good Quality, Bad Architecture

Daniels - Good Quality, Meh Architecture, Marketing isn't that appealing to the general public.

Concord - Just no

Pinnacle - Deep Pockets, Bland Architecture

Lamb - Good Architecture, Questionable Practices, Maximum Profit

I would agree with this statement

New around here so not sure about the reputation of developers, but I was wondering which ones are considered "reputable" when it comes to the quality of the units, completion time, and the living experience of the customer?

As someone in the construction industry, I don't mind telling you that "quality of the units" and "completion time" (by which I'm assuming you mean prompt) are mutually exclusive concepts.

Quality work IS NEVER fast.
Fast work IS NEVER quality.

As someone in the construction industry, I don't mind telling you that "quality of the units" and "completion time" (by which I'm assuming you mean prompt) are mutually exclusive concepts.

Quality work IS NEVER fast.
Fast work IS NEVER quality.
Which builders would you consider as quality builders?

Back