News   Jul 31, 2024
 700     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 526     0 

Question about Toronto...

Ummagumma66

Member Bio
Reaction score
Having been in the "Great" province of Alberta for the better part of 4 years, I am wondering how is the job situation in Toronto, and is it fairly easy to get a place? right now I work as a Parking Enforcement Constable for the City of Calgary, I guess I am hoping the job market is at least decent there, I hope to move back to Toronto in the next 36 months.

right now I work as a Parking Enforcement Constable

I would have to say that, based on the evidence, this job is well-staffed in Toronto.

But don't let that stop you from looking.

There's certainly a huge demand in the construction trades, and one would assume lots of openings for new condo security staff. The concierge business should be heating up here soon too.

Sadly, the TTC has an opening for asbestos remediation staff.

The job market in Toronto is anything but ideal. Most openings are done through networking/connections and it could take possibly over a year to find a GOOD one without any hook ups. It's sad to say this and I know I will get attacked by the idealist PCs on here but from what I've seen many people (especially small businesses) are looking to hire their own nationality (Russians want to hire a Russian, Chinese a Chinese guy). That's the job market in general. As for your specific area I would have to agree with Hydrogen and say they are definetely well-staffed.

Btw parking enforcement? You and I have quite a time getting along. :D

It's sad to say this and I know I will get attacked by the idealist PCs on here but from what I've seen many people (especially small businesses) are looking to hire their own nationality (Russians want to hire a Russian, Chinese a Chinese guy).

Is this more true for TO than for other cities? Are all or even the majority of small businesses racially homogeneous? Is this relevant if you are not applying to a small busniess? Does it mean you should not bother applying to small businesses outside your line of racial descent? Given the answers to these questions, how is the comment above helpful to the thread?

Is this more true for TO than for other cities? Are all or even the majority of small businesses racially homogeneous? Is this relevant if you are not applying to a small busniess? Does it mean you should not bother applying to small businesses outside your line of racial descent? Given the answers to these questions, how is the comment above helpful to the thread?
LOL I knew you would love this. :D

The job market in Toronto is anything but ideal. Most openings are done through networking/connections and it could take possibly over a year to find a GOOD one without any hook ups. It's sad to say this and I know I will get attacked by the idealist PCs on here but from what I've seen many people (especially small businesses) are looking to hire their own nationality (Russians want to hire a Russian, Chinese a Chinese guy). That's the job market in general. As for your specific area I would have to agree with Hydrogen and say they are definetely well-staffed.

Btw parking enforcement? You and I have quite a time getting along. :D

I have a small business and I'm not just looking to hire/contract work to people of the same ethnic background.

No doubt this happens, but it isn't unique to Toronto.

The job market in Toronto is quite good if you have the right skills. What is your education and target job?

Housing is in good shape. Good availability in the rental market and housing prices are still climbing but not too much. Obviously there are a lot of new condo projects coming on stream and it doesn't look to be slowing down that much yet. Still much cheaper than Vancouver. What are you looking for?

Substitute skills with connections. :)

Getting a job with a connection is easier just about anywhere. I don't see how that, or the ethnic-preference hiring, is different in Toronto over anywhere else. :confused:

I over heard a guy say you can't afford to live in Toronto (I think Calgary is a pretty damned expensive city to live in...), it would be interesting to see cost of living comparisons for all the major canadian cities...

Back