News   Jul 15, 2024
 357     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Queen's Park "Diversion"

somody

Member Bio
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the Y-U-S tunnel between Museum and Queen's Park stations actually curves to the east and back, almost like Queen's Park Crescent East. And now that these maps have been brought to my attention:

http://gencat.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1567%5Cser648%5Cs0648_fl0065_id0002.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/U_of_T_map.png

I have a question...was this done purposely so that the tunnel didn't run directly underneath the Ontario Legislature (perhaps to prevent ease of bombings etc)?

Or maybe it's just easier to tunnel under road rather than buildings? I dunno.

The intention might have been to minimize any possible risk of structural damage to the priceless landmark that is the legislature. They were probably more concerned with engineering or construction errors and the impact of increased vibrations on the building than with the risk of terrorism.

You can certainly hear the subway trains in the legislature visitors' gallery even during Question Period. I'm sure the line was diverted to avoid disturbing the legislative building. It was bored-tunnelled (first use of bored tunnelling) north of Osgoode, presumably to minimize disruption to the hosptials as well.

Or maybe it's just easier to tunnel under road rather than buildings? I dunno.

The intention might have been to minimize any possible risk of structural damage to the priceless landmark that is the legislature. They were probably more concerned with engineering or construction errors and the impact of increased vibrations on the building than with the risk of terrorism.

You can certainly hear the subway trains in the legislature visitors' gallery even during Question Period. I'm sure the line was diverted to avoid disturbing the legislative building. It was bored-tunnelled (first use of bored tunnelling) north of Osgoode, presumably to minimize disruption to the hosptials as well.

alright thanks guys

Back