News   Jul 31, 2024
 297     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 582     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 479     0 

Q: Has this "recession" caused you to stop going out?

The 1000 pound gorilla in the room this recession is personal debt. The average Canadian has been living beyond their means for at least a decade. The average Canadian regardless of their income level essentially lives month to month on their pay-cheque. So the continuing rise in unemployment will definately hurt the entertainment sector. But the real kicker this time around is that not only are people losing their jobs they have a mountain of debt. Now the cost of servicing debt is at a historical low so why would you not accummulate it? Well, the reverse side of this equation is that costs of borrowing will rise as the economy attempts to recover. The net result is that the recovery may stand to be the toughest slog in several generations.

I'm going out as much as I did before, even though I lost my job several months ago. The difference is I'm sticking to a few familiar places where I know I'm going to get good food, good drinks, good service, and a great atmosphere. Places where I know I will get good value for my money.

I'm not as willing to experiment and try new places. I don't mind spending money, I just don't want to take the chance of wasting it.

Back