News   Sep 20, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Sep 20, 2024
 972     0 
News   Sep 20, 2024
 561     0 

Public Art in Toronto

So as to avoid bumping my own posts endlessly, I'll post the TTC's latest public art concept here, from a report on the agenda for next week's TTC meeting, we see the concept for Keele Station.

From the above:

1726677555417.png

1726677589850.png

1726677617546.png

Sigh............we're spending money on this?

I have no problems with quirky and weird art but this is really poorly integrated into the existing context. The money would be better spent on improving landscaping around the entrance area - granite pavers and a tree or two to the north and south of the elevated station.

I have no problems with quirky and weird art but this is really poorly integrated into the existing context. The money would be better spent on improving landscaping around the entrance area - granite pavers and a tree or two to the north and south of the elevated station.

I'm pro artistic flare, though in the context of the TTC I would rather see it integrated thoughtfully with the architecture, interior finishes and/or landscape/streetscape.

To me, this, as proposed just doesn't add value. Its incongruous, lacks utility, adds accretive maintenance cost, without adding value.

I like your idea; but I could also be happy enough with more attractive ceiling finishes and lighting on the grade-level of Keele Station, or, admittedly for a lot more money, delivery of the suggested picture window on the eastbound platform such that the station platforms would offer a view of High Park.

Last edited:
I stumbled on this public sculpture tucked away on a residential street near Coxwell and Gerrard. Sculptor Michael Irving’s bronze, quilt-like structures feature casts of hands and messages of hope from child-abuse survivors and their loved ones.

michaelirvingchildabusemonument.jpg

Back