841     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.9K     2 

Public Art in Toronto

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
So I made my contribution to derailing the One Yonge thread by joining a discussion on the quality of public art.

While that thread should get back on track; I thought the subject worthy of further discussion.

Rather that have the thread be too esoteric.......I would ask people discuss what they like or dislike using real, installed, public art, in Toronto.

What pieces do you value? What installations have made a lasting, positive impact on a public space, in the realm of popular opinion, or your personal one?

If you personally feel a piece is a success or failure, try to iterate why; if the piece has clearly achieved either status in the public imagination, please offer up the consensus as you understand it.

Please list the title of the piece and the artist if you know them the location of the installation; and provide a photo credit if the photo is not your own.

I'll begin with some of the public art in Toronto's subway system.

This is a piece entitled cross-section by artist William McElcheran

1613319266898.png

from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_subway_public_art#/media/File:Dundas_TTC_mural_meeting.jpg
Photo by: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kieranhuggins/

I really like the warmth of the colour tone and the material palette

It feels older than Dundas Station (though it isn't)

I think its the most aesthetically redeeming bit of Dundas Station.

I don't know that I would want to see it cover every wall at the station; but I always thought it would have been nice to see it extend throughout the lower tunnel and up to the northbound mezzanine.

I'm also keen on this piece at Eglinton West Station by artist: Gerald Zeldin entitled Summertime Streetcar

1613319779518.png

Photo by:
I enjoy it for its Toronto-centricity; its addition of bright-colour to a well-designed by otherwise dark station; and for its recognizable yet somewhat interpretative take on Toronto's historical PCC streetcars.

By contrast; there is some more recent art I'm less keen on.

This piece by Jennifer Davis and Jon Sasaki entitled Forwards and Backwards at Coxwell Station:

1613320066161.png

Photo Credit to Wikipedia poster: TheTrolleyPole

To me the piece is bland in its own right..........but it also provides insufficient contrast to the surrounding white tile (it would look better up against a bolder coloured backdrop).

Its also too small and awkwardly placed to make a good visual statement.

The texture/nature of the piece doesn't lend itself to mass appreciation, and lacks some detail that would convey the skill that was required to produce it.

Finally, I don't like this installation by artist Rebecca Bayer at Sherbourne station much:

1613320434244.png

Photo Credit to Wikipedia user TheTrolleyPole

I like the tiles themeselves and the colour.

They have all the potential to take one away from the drabness that is Sherbourne Station.

The problem I have is the way the installation/art was done was a number of these small, column-like pieces.

To me, it feels after-thought'ish.

I appreciate that the budget didn't allow for re-doing the entire station, or anything close.

But I think it would have read better as a piece along the entire length of one sets of stairs or taking over most of the mezzanine; perhaps providing a neutral-coloured break somewhere if it took over that entire space.

Instead it seems like disconnected fragments that don't really add anything to the station as a whole.

Last edited:
Funny. I went to what was then called OCA with McElcheran's daughter. Did a group show with her back in '79 or so at Gallery 76, which was in the building which now houses Above Ground, on McCaul.

That piece of his is one I've long admired. A great example of public art.

A not so great example: the Airman's Memorial, colloquially known as Gumby Goes to Heaven. I want to like it, I really do. But I just can't take it seriously.

Last edited:
I like the Coupland stuff.

In fact, that's all I can think of even. Other than the dog fountain in Berczy Park and the "testicles with malignant growth" in the square at Residences of WTC, but neither one of those talks to me except to say, "Look away!".

My favourite public art by far is well done graff. It adds real colour to the city....and in this blue-grey bland place we need as much of that as possible. Possibly not what you had in mind, but I stand by it as my number one choice for city beautification through art.

........ and the "testicles with malignant growth" in the square at Residences of WTC, but neither one of those talks to me except to say, "Look away!".

Ahhh, you mean Between The Eyes by Richard Deacon (no, I didn't know either, I looked it up)

1613363159761.png

From here: https://www.toronto.ca/ext/pln/publicart/BetweenTheEyes2.jpg

I can't say this has ever worked for me either.

I had always thought of it more as a misshaped peanut......... LOL

That space is not helped by too much hardscape, miserable looking buildings; and just........blandness

Attachments

• 1613363138407.png
    1613363138407.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 264
For anyone wanting to look up Toronto's public art; here's a good place to start:

Ahhh, you mean Between The Eyes by Richard Deacon (no, I didn't know either, I looked it up)

View attachment 300092

That space is not helped by too much hardscape, miserable looking buildings; and just........blandness

It used to be worse before they painted it grey. It was the same green-blue that the metal features on the parapets of the two buildings in the complex are.

This whole square and courtyard have had a new design voted on by residents since.......about 20 years ago.

The buildings underwent extensive renovations of the common areas about a decade ago and the roof was redone in 2016 when I was living there. From what I remember, they were supposed to start work on the new landscaping this past year but plague. I think it was postponed til this spring.

I'll ask my dude who still lives there.

I love this property. Been frequenting it/living there on-off since 2007. So many good times. 😈

View attachment 300092

That space is not helped by too much hardscape, miserable looking buildings; and just........b

It might work better as a centrepiece for the square with trees and furnishing around the periphery. But I agree I the square itself is the problem here- an empty concrete space surrounded by dull architecture, and frankly bereft of anything that would entice people to hang around. A restaurant with a patio or seating in the square might help draw people through the summer months. There is/was a Firkin nearby but unfortunately it is on the opposite side of the building.

I like the orange on Zeldin's piece, but I find the streetcars a little childish. In some cases, I feel like it's better to just paint/clad the wall with rich, warm colours; and avoid any design whatsoever. Same with Bayer's tiles.

I like the orange on Zeldin's piece, but I find the streetcars a little childish. In some cases, I feel like it's better to just paint/clad the wall with rich, warm colours; and avoid any design whatsoever. Same with Bayer's tiles.

In respect of Bayer's piece that's really what I was aiming at.

The what's nice about it, is that it is an attractive, warm blend of colours, in an otherwise drab station.

The problem with it being that its done as isolated, fragmented pieces.

They don't end up changing the tone of the station at all, or even one area of the station.

It might work better as a centrepiece for the square with trees and furnishing around the periphery.
I'd bet you that it wouldn't. It's terrible.

But I agree I the square itself is the problem here- an empty concrete space surrounded by dull architecture, and frankly bereft of anything that would entice people to hang around.
As I said, reconstruction imminent. And the plans look at least a decent bit more legit than what's there now.

A restaurant with a patio or seating in the square might help draw people through the summer months. There is/was a Firkin nearby but unfortunately it is on the opposite side of the building.
There isn't restaurant space on the square side unless the grocers went away, and that is beyond undesirable.

I quite like Coupland's pieces- which tend be playful and colourful. My favorite in Toronto is his fishing floats at cityplace, although the waterfront or islands might have been a better location.
1613591533901.png

For anyone wanting to look up Toronto's public art; here's a good place to start:

Also, check out Toronto Sculpture, a website that a friend of mine started a while back.

I quite like Coupland's pieces- which tend be playful and colourful. My favorite in Toronto is his fishing floats at cityplace, although the waterfront or islands might have been a better location.
View attachment 300460

You know it!

I like the dead Yank soldier by the fort.

Public art hierarchy:

#1: Graff
#2: Coupland
#3: All the rest

Back