523     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Protecting the Perception of Safety on Mississauga Transit

F

FutureMayor

Protecting the Perception of Safety on Mississauga Transit

Madam Mayor:

On Friday, June 7, I boarded the Route 19 bus from Port Credit GO Station at 3:05 p.m. to the City Centre.

At Mineola Road a large group of students from Port Credit Secondary School boarded the bus. Before the front doors of the bus opened a loud bang could be heard from the outside. It was assumed that the bus had run over a plastic bottle before fully stopping.

As the bus reached Dundas Street a majority of students began to depart from the bus when an even louder explosion came from within the bus which startled everyone including many seniors and small children who were visibly shaken. The smell of smoke flooded the bus and the bus driver locked the back doors and demanded who had launched a firework inside the bus. The students began to kick at the back door when the bus driver finally let them go. I spoke to the bus driver when we reached the City Centre transit terminal and expressed my concern.

While this turned out to be some practical joke by a group of students, this behavior is unacceptable and should not be allowed to continue into the future. The feeling of safety on our public transit system should be protected, especially in light of recent events involving suspects in our city.

While the incident occurred off school property, it clearly involved students attending Port Credit Secondary School. I strongly request that the administration of this school acknowledge this incident with its students and explain the criminal consequences if caught in the future.

Furthermore, I request that Peel Regional Police and or Mississauga Transit officials be present at the Hurontario and Mineloa bus stop after each school day for the at least the next week to monitor students boarding the bus for firecrackers and to reassure the traveling public of their safety.

Many thanks,

Louroz Mercader

Re: Protecting the Perception of Safety on Mississauga Trans

Dear Mr. Mercader,

Thank you for your e-mail. I understand your concern and I will forward it to the Principal of Port credit SS and ask her to find an opportunity tospeak to the student body about this inappropriate conduct. I assure you that we attempt to teach the students to respect other people and their property. It is unfortunate that a very few students misbehave and create a bad impression. Most of the students are very responsible, respectful young people.Again, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Regards, Janet.

Janet McDougald
Chair of the Board,Trustee, Wards 1&7, Mississauga,
905-278-1402
janet.mcdougald@peelsb.com

If I'm right then PC is already into formal exams and procedure (if actually followed) won't allow for any announcements to be made unless there is an emergency or they need to change the room assignments due to unforseen cirumstances. This is what they told us at CP anyways and said it was board policy so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Good for you for actually speaking up against they ranks. I hate taking the bus with them- I usually take the 8 straight to SQ1 from school to avoid them, even thought the 19 would save about 10 mins.

EDIT
I just talked to someone and Monday was the last day of school before exams which start on Tuesday the 13th.

June 13, 2006

Dear Louroz:

Thank you for your e-mail which will be brought to the Mayor's attention as soon as possible. I have spoken to Bill Cunningham this morning and he will be replying to your e-mail directly, with a copy to our office.

Thank you.

Carol Horvat
Executive Assistant to the Mayor

Louroz,

Thank you for bringing to our attention the problem you encountered onthe transit bus. I have forwarded the matter to the Officer in Charge of 12 Division for further follow up. I will be in touch when I receive the results of his inquiry. If there are any further details with respect to the incident, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Doug Grozier
Staff Sergeant

Oh, come on, does the mayor of Mississauga have nothing better to do than tend to a couple rowdy teenagers? I think this is a bit of an overreaction.

She did raise this issue at today General Committee meeting.

Just flew away.

The problem with youngersters causing mischief in any city is that the authorities cannot act quickly enough to each incident. I was on an N train at Lex station during rush hour and a couple of youngsters were holding the doors on purpose, not getting on or off, just holding them to delay the train. The conductor threatened them many times, including threatening to get the cops, but really, an empty threat as it would take way too long to get the cops, even the transit cops. Just something that transit users will have to live with. Along with people with huge backpacks nailing you in subway cars, and idiots that stand in the doorways blocking people from getting in.

Oh, come on, does the mayor of Mississauga have nothing better to do than tend to a couple rowdy teenagers? I think this is a bit of an overreaction.

Well, if you spun it like: a bunch of freeloading Toronto teenagers were in Mississauga trying to use TTC transfers to board MT buses, she defiantely would have called the media and McGuinty crying fowl.

I certainly don't believe it's an over reaction. The fact that I was startled by the incident and given the arrogance of the students in question, this could not go unchallenged.

I'm a young person myself, I'm a transit supporter and I care about my city and the well being of all. I and others were upset about what happend. The Mayor happens to be a close personal friend of mine, and I don't usually make requests to her, but in this case I felt it was necessary and action was taken.

Louroz

I hate Mississauga Transit. I've taken it out to my parents place the last few weekends, and have decided the GO Bus is worth the extra couple of bucks.

^ What does that have to do with the topic of this thread?

drum118, what do you mean by it flew away at GC?

All I can say is that City Hall, Peel Board and the Peel Regional Police is taking this incident very seriously and the students on that bus will be caught.

Louroz

Met with Peel Regional Police today.

They caught the kid and has been charged!

Louroz

I'm shocked. Good job!

Back