News   Jul 26, 2024
 196     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 973     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 761     0 

Proposed Markham arena would rival ACC

I think it would too ... but I'd be surprised if the Town of Markham would put it there. Given that it's in Markham, the location doesn't seem too bad. I could think of a LOT worse places in Markham. Heck, the transit options already look better than the Senator's arena in Kanata!

It is not, as I understand it, the town of markham that is puting it anywhere. It is private investors who have chosen markham as the location....no?

It is not, as I understand it, the town of markham that is puting it anywhere. It is private investors who have chosen markham as the location....no?
Yes ... I was trying to imply subtly that I didn't think Parc Downsview would go for it the same way Markham has ... sorry, shouldn't be so cryptic.

Yes ... I was trying to imply subtly that I didn't think Parc Downsview would go for it the same way Markham has ... sorry, shouldn't be so cryptic.

But I think parc Downsview would love to have it....if these investors were willing to look/locate there....methinks the developer likes markham for some reason....perhaps they already own some land?

But I think parc Downsview would love to have it....if these investors were willing to look/locate there....methinks the developer likes markham for some reason....perhaps they already own some land?

Yep, Roustan's partner owns a large amount of the land where all of that development is occurring.

Presumably the developer does own the land. I can't see parc Downsview selling the land, which is what the developer would want. This is all about the development opportunities around the arena - look how MLSE has leveraged their land around the ACC.

Looking at available land, they'd simply walk a short distance to the Unionville GO Station and jump the frequent all-day GO service that will be running by the time it opens.

Even today at 11 pm at night, the GO Transit travel time from that location to Union Station is only 25 minutes (the bus from Stouffville GO departing at 22:45 arrives at Union GO at 11:10 pm). There's also 407 GO Buses departing that late at night already from the same location.

Even now, the 407 East bus goes all the way to Oshawa from Unionville. Heading west, with a transfer at York U, you could go as far as Hamilton and Guelph. Obviously the bus service would have to run later and be more frequent, but I think people are underestimating the importance of the 407 as a transporation corridor.

Also, there is an existing thread on this. Perhaps they could be merged? http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/17454-New-Markham-Arena

I would worry about the traffic problems a 20,000 seat venue would bring. Hwy 7 during rush hour (or Saturday afternoon) is a nightmare. Warden and Kennedy are busy. The downtown Markham development has got office and residential, and to plop down the equivalent of the ACC without the equivalent public transit? The Stouffville GO train and VIVA bus system are in no way equivalent to the GO/TTC options out of Union Stn; besides which there is no GO train service and virtually no bus service late at night when most events would let out. How would someone from Toronto (much lesss Mississagua) get home from Markham at 11 pm without a car? You can't even find a taxi to take. Meaning: everybody will be driving and you'll need an acre of parking and some kind of traffic control system. Has anyone seen people race from their cars after exiting a GO train because they know there will be a traffic jam exiting the parking lot? How about 20,000 people in their cars exiting a Markham arena at once?

As a Markham resident, I'm not saying I don't want the arena at all (although I would prefer Richmond Hill or Vaughan). But if it's going to happen there needs to be much planning on how the traffic is going to move in and out. 'Cause, frankly, driving in Markham is worse than driving in downtown Toronto.

I doubt many people will take Highway 7 to the arena and those that do (locals like me) will just take VIVA. Also, some might take the 401 and head up Kennedy or Warden (or alternate NS routes to try and beat that traffic), which will admittedly increase traffic, but the vast majority will just take the 407. I don't see how the tolls would be a deterrent since even in rush hour the toll to go from Kennedy to the 404 would only be $1.65, and from the 404, you can access downtown, northern york region and the 401. The 407 will no doubt see more traffic, but I don't think all of Markham will grind to a halt because of this.

Plus it seems weird Markham would want a huge arena, empty 250 days a year, in the middle of its super-progressive, smart growthy, LEED-standardy community. i guess they think they have a business case but it seems rather absurd at face value...

If all the parking is eventually moved underground, and people actually use the transit links (once they are improved and Unionville GO is a true transit hub), how is this not smart growth? Shouldn't arenas be in downtown areas (even new ones)? Otherwise, you couldn't build a new arena anywhere outside of downtown Toronto.

Back