1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Pride 2009!

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
pride_2009.jpg

Discuss all the trials, tribulations, joys, sorrows and photographic evidence to back-up your stories here...

Pride parade to go ahead despite strike

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/654734

Pride parade to go ahead despite strike

Emily Mathieu
Staff Reporter

Toronto's Pride parade and scheduled events will go ahead as planned, despite the municipal strike, event organizers say.

Event spokesperson Grant Ramsay said today that "we are planning on all our festivities happening," and said he could not comment on what might happen if the strike continues.

"I don't have anything to tell you," said Ramsay, adding that Pride organizers were waiting and planned to take their direction from the city.

The main event is the big parade next Sunday but other events are scheduled to take place across the city all week.

At midnight close to 30,000 municipal workers — including city funded day care employees and garbage collectors — went on strike after five months of failed negotiations.

The strike has halted one event: the official opening ceremonies of Toronto's Pride Week celebrations. Mayor David Miller was scheduled to raise a flag at city hall today at noon, but this was cancelled earlier this morning.

Last week, Tracey Sandilands, executive director for Pride Toronto, told the Star that if the strike went forward, event organizers would be willing to hire private contractors, paying up to $20,000 to handle the garbage generated throughout Pride Week events. City officials had given the green light to Pride events, as long as trash was taken care of, she said.

The weeklong festival has been a Toronto fixture for close to 30 years. Bringing close to $100 million in economic activity to the city, Pride is often described as the largest event of its kind in the world.

The parade is not the only major summer festival that will generate a lot of trash, but trash disposal is not always the city's responsibility.

This morning, organizers of the TD Canada Trust Toronto Jazz Festival said they do not expect the strike to impact the festival.

In a release, executive producer Patrick Taylor said: "The Festival is a self-contained event, run independently from the City. It is business as usual for the TD Canada Trust Toronto Jazz Festival and we are looking forward to kicking off summer for our 23rd consecutive year."

The festival is held at Nathan Phillips Square and runs from Fri., June 26 to Sun., July 5.

The pride commitee has been paying for garbage pickup since its inception.
It's caribana cleanup that our tax dollars are used for.

that logo doesn't leave anyone out. it includes a graphic for those who use a wheelchair, people who use square sails, those who walk on one hand, people who use canes, people who balance themselves by putting their hands on their hips and people who use levitation as a primary means of mobility.

:D

but seriously, that's very nice that they included a person in a wheelchair in the logo.

I wonder when we'll give the rainbow symbol the old heave-ho and adopt something new? It's had a pretty good run for its money. Before it, in the '70s and '80s, the pink triangle worked well enough when we were a warrior society that drew inspiration from our past as an oppressed people, but that symbol was abandoned in due course too.

TD Bank Financial Group has signed on as the premier sponsor of Pride Toronto for another 3 years.

Walking around several times on Friday night and Saturday it seems to me like attendance is considerably down. It's busy, but not like in previous years. The dyke march seemed to have a good crowd but only from what I saw on the news. With expected rain today that's likely to put a damper on the parade's spectators and after parade festivities on & around Church Street.

I haven't been since 2005. I was going to go this year, but it's supposed to rain today. So, I'm not going. It's really not that important to me anyway. I just like the "rave" stage they have every year.

Back