News   Apr 25, 2024
 298     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 942     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 983     0 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

It makes me wonder whether a lot of the cultural demonization of Muslims is a way of dissuading these people from setting some kind of alliance with that kind of suicide-terrorist realm.
Also--particularly re said younger ones, how culturally bereft would one have to be to devote one's entire existence to guns like this? It's like the guns fill what is otherwise a horrible, gaping hole in their lives, where nobody saw fit to draw their attention to other things...

Look at the notion of "Lost boys". To be fair though, the failure to launch argument also have a systemic cause - it is getting harder for a person of average abilities (much less below average) to make a meaningful living and be something. And then there is the Boogaloo crowd - can you see the majority of them joining the military and not getting kicked out?

AoD

Last edited:
And then there is the Boogaloo crowd - can you see the majority of them joining the military and not getting kicked out?

Which seems a military analogue to the (forgive me Godwin) Hitler = failed artist metaphor. And failure through a heavy-handed misunderstanding of "what is required", or a confusion of going "all-in" with necessary discipline. Nerdcore does not equal mastery and expertise.

As for systemic causes, it's not just it being harder to "make a meaningful living and be something", but even to be *exposed and guided to* stuff--almost like for a lot of parents rich and poor, such exposure and guiding-to might even stand as a threat (which is how such things as the QAnon save-the-children obsession get sparked). And today's skepticism t/w the "lamestream" doesn't help matters any.

Of course, for Trump, himself "failed"-and-out-for-blood in so many ways, can "identify"; that's why he prefers paramilitary and citizen's armies to the actual military, and how Kyle Rittenhouse gets hailed as a paragon of "being something"...

.... it is getting harder for a person of average abilities (much less below average) to make a meaningful living and be something.

Incidentally on this, a recent Lincoln Project podcast made the same point. They pointed out that non-college whites in the US, as a group have some of the worst socioeconomic trend stats of any developed country. And it includes exceptional self-destructive behaviour. High drug use. High divorce. Obesity. Etc. They explained how easy it was for Trump to manipulate this and why the Republican Party is effectively becoming a white grievance party as Trumpism cements itself. Good listen:

Vote in support of a vote on the Senate floor - having said that, I am not under any illusions of their moral fortitude - they're at best a bunch of Susan Collins (her last name should live in infamy like Quisling's).

AoD

He's a Republican Senator. His constituents elected him exactly for this. I'm always surprised that people expect different. What needs to happen is for Democrats to play hardball in January. Focus on winning the election. Don't talk about the court. Talk about the pandemic. But in January, take the gloves off....

He's a Republican Senator. His constituents elected him exactly for this. I'm always surprised that people expect different. What needs to happen is for Democrats to play hardball in January. Focus on winning the election. Don't talk about the court. Talk about the pandemic. But in January, take the gloves off....

In a different age they'd be right to expect different from Senators. In this age after umpteen demonstrations of fealty to 45? Not a chance.

AoD

It's a numbers game now. Forget the posturing. Focus on getting your supporters to vote. Pretty simply, ain't it.

This is a graphic from The Economist on where prospective U.S. Supreme Court judges may fit on the ideological spectrum.

Here's what caught my eye...........look at the placement of Chief Justice Roberts, a Republican appointee credited with opening the money into politics floodgate in the Citizens United case.

1600802882940.png

If that is 'median' justice..........by implication, roughly centrist...............

Last edited:
I will defend SCOTUS a bit by saying we can't expect SCOTUS to be the de-facto legislature. Congress has to do that job if they don't like SCOTUS interpretations.

I will defend SCOTUS a bit by saying we can't expect SCOTUS to be the de-facto legislature. Congress has to do that job if they don't like SCOTUS interpretations.

I beg to differ.

SCOTUS rulings tend to be constitutional in nature.

You can't legislatively override them.

A constitutional amendment in the U.S. means 2/3 of the House, 2/3 of the Senate, and approval of 3/4 of State Legislatures to boot.

Remember, the Equal Rights Amendment has yet to pass. (It was sent to the States in 1972).

For those not aware this is essentially an Amendment to make men and women equal under the Constitution.

No police in Louisville charged in relation to the death of Breonna Taylor.

One cop charged with 3 counts 'wanton endangerment'.

I believe our neighbours to the south are likely to have some more protests on their hands. (understandably so)

Material news out of California: Governor Gavin Newsom has announced that as of 2035, internal combustion engine vehicle may no longer be sold in that state.

If this sticks............it probably means the end of the I.C.E. in ground transportation, at least in North America; where standards tend to follow California law.

Material news out of California: Governor Gavin Newsom has announced that as of 2035, internal combustion engine vehicle may no longer be sold in that state.

If this sticks............it probably means the end of the I.C.E. in ground transportation, at least in North America; where standards tend to follow California law.

Assuming they mean "new" vehicles. "Previously owned" vehicles will likely be "grandfathered".

Back