281     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 392     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 673     1 

Post your pictures of Toronto here!

Geolocated:
View attachment 526606

In preparation to flying my first drone, I'm starting to play a bit of a Geoguessr with some of the drone shots on UT, just to figure out where you guys are taking off from. I'm guessing this drone took off somewhere from the Leaside Park.

@TwinHuey @Tim MacDonald do you guys always launch from parks/sports fields? Do you ever just take off from a street or is it too hard/risky?
The place where the image was taken might not be the takeoff location. Sometimes it is for me but most of the time it isn't. I rarely use sports fields or parks (too many dogs or people depending on time of day) and prefer other areas. I only need a space about the size of a car floor mat for a ground based takeoff. In an absolute pinch, I will takeoff from the palm of my hand but that is extremely rare. I usually avoid takeoff from the street unless I am directly in front of my parked car. Usually it will be the boulevard or sidewalk. I never take off from the roof of my vehicle or parking garages (metal can play havoc with the internal magnetic compass) or anything that might have too much metal or iron in it.

Now let's see some pics @Full Metal Junkie !

Geolocated:
View attachment 526606

In preparation to flying my first drone, I'm starting to play a bit of a Geoguessr with some of the drone shots on UT, just to figure out where you guys are taking off from. I'm guessing this drone took off somewhere from the Leaside Park.

@TwinHuey @Tim MacDonald do you guys always launch from parks/sports fields? Do you ever just take off from a street or is it too hard/risky?

Excellent questions. I'm glad you asked.

Different drone pilots likely have differing outlooks on operations. I can only speak for myself, but here ya go.

I try to follow the Aviation Regulations as closely as possible (although for Micro Drones, the Regs are pretty much non existent).

I'm still learning, but key to a good flight is in the pre planning (I see you have already started :) ).

I always pick a take off / landing site before going to the location by using Google earth.

The City of Toronto does not permit drone operations to/from parks. It's explained pretty clearly here:

Not sure if the City considers the parking lots adjacent to some parks as part of the park though. I could be guilty of that 😉

Even though I normally use a location close to a park (and legal) I try pick a spot out of the way and not draw attention of the public.

Like Tim, I often use a boulevard / sidewalk adjacent to my car (with no trees or overhead wires and hopefully no pedestrians or dogs).

I'm not brave enough to take off from the palm of my hand like Tim (yet).

With the risk of sounding like I'm preaching flight safety, all of us who operate drones in the GTA must be very aware of other aircraft and in particular helicopter operations. EMS / Police / News helicopters overfly at lower altitudes (120m to 450m AGL) at airspeeds up to 300 km/hr. They can be approaching or departing from several GTA heliports. Hitting even something as small as a micro drone can cause catastrophic in flight damage to a helicopter. We have to exercise caution.

Once you feel comfortable with your drone, the photo / video opportunities are amazing!

Can't wait to see your photos!

Geolocated:
View attachment 526606

In answer to your question, there is a parking lot adjacent to Leaside Park that could be where @TwinHuey launched to take that shot. Only if it's legal though...🤣

Not sure if the City considers the parking lots adjacent to some parks as part of the park though
Not sure if the City can legally consider a drone under 250g a "drone", legally speaking, so not sure if the City has the legal standing to prohibit micro-drone operations in and out of the parks either. Although, I have to interest to fight that legal battle and find that out for myself either. Allegedly, I will be strictly sticking to legal takeoff and landing areas well outside of municipal parks and Rouge. Like across the road or something :D
And strictly legally speaking, only takeoffs and landings are prohibited. Doesn't say anything about flybys and flyovers.
Actually, all this legal grey zone in which microdrones find themselves is the exact reason I avoided getting one for so long...

Not sure if the City can legally consider a drone under 250g a "drone", legally speaking, so not sure if the City has the legal standing to prohibit micro-drone operations in and out of the parks either. Although, I have to interest to fight that legal battle and find that out for myself either. Allegedly, I will be strictly sticking to legal takeoff and landing areas well outside of municipal parks and Rouge. Like across the road or something :D
And strictly legally speaking, only takeoffs and landings are prohibited. Doesn't say anything about flybys and flyovers.
Actually, all this legal grey zone in which microdrones find themselves is the exact reason I avoided getting one for so long...

Agreed. I'm with you, no need to fight that legal battle with the City. I don't want to be the test case.

As you say, the flyovers are federal jurisdiction.

The catch all Aviation Regulation applicable to micro drones is CAR 900.06 "No person shall...endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person." . In other words "we're not telling you what you can or cannot do with your micro drone, but if you really screw up, this is how we're going to get you". :)

@TwinHuey is spot on when it comes to safety. This truly is of paramount importance. Have a pre-flight safety protocol and do it for every single flight. I find saying it aloud helps. Heed any in-app warnings that may appear. Most importantly, DO NOT PANIC when things seem to go awry as that can be when pilots turn minor or medium problems into catastrophic events. When I launch every flight, I do it in such a way as to maximize the chance the aircraft will return - in one piece. So far, over more than 1,000 flights with several different models and units, I have had 100 percent success.

It's also a fact that, yes, the City can enact bylaws that make it an offence to launch within the parks. Worst case scenario is you park there and then launch outside of the park. Federal and Provincial parks are also off limits for takeoff and landing without prior approval.

Hand launching is relatively easy but it is the hand landing I just don't like. With good planning you can avoid both.

900.06 is also known as the Don't do anything stupid/reckless rule.

If you need help, reach out and I'll be happy to help.

A good article below regarding micro drones do's and don'ts. I personally have not and will not go above 400ft in the GTA or surroundings areas. Sometimes even along the Lake (Example Lakeview Village) you have VFR flights from the Hamilton Museum (Lancaster,B-25) staying low to the ground. Having done 400hrs on Mavic Mini 3 Pro and now 40 on the Mini 4 Pro, I've never had total signal loss, and I'm always assured that if it does happen it will automatically return to launch point at predetermined altitude.

Micro Drones Explained

A good article below regarding micro drones do's and don'ts. I personally have not and will not go above 400ft in the GTA or surroundings areas. Sometimes even along the Lake (Example Lakeview Village) you have VFR flights from the Hamilton Museum (Lancaster,B-25) staying low to the ground. Having done 400hrs on Mavic Mini 3 Pro and now 40 on the Mini 4 Pro, I've never had total signal loss, and I'm always assured that if it does happen it will automatically return to launch point at predetermined altitude.

Micro Drones Explained
Excellent advice.

That link is very informative! I wish I'd seen Micro Drones Explained before I spent time poring over the CAR's trying to figure out how micro drones are regulated.

As someone who had a career as a helicopter pilot, I'm seeing similarities between the cultures of drone and aircraft operations. And in particular helicopter operations.

Some aviation quotes that may also apply to drones:

"There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots".

"A superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations that require use of his superior skill" (Frank Borman?)

And my favourite:

"That's why being a helicopter pilot is so different from being an airplane pilot and why in generality airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts. And helicopter pilots are brooders, introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if something bad has not happened, it is about to." (Harry Reasoner).

:)

Last edited:
My personal favourite quote:

I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air than be in the air and wishing I was on the ground.!

(edited to change sky to air....can't believe I effed it up.)

Cycling on the Martin Goodman Trail towards Humber Bay Shores

1000008216-01.jpeg

1000008217-01.jpeg

I've always heard of this building but have never seen it before. Great shot!
Thanks Tim!

I've driven past the Seminary for over 40 years and often wondered what it looked like up close. Access to the property is restricted.

@Full Metal Junkie is curious about launch sites, so I'll add the following:

Even though the Seminary is very close to where I live, it was quite challenging to find a suitable location to stage from.

I did a test flight during the day to check perspectives and mostly to ensure there were no hidden obstructions that I might not see at night.

test shot #1.jpg

The launch location for the day time test flight was less than ideal (traffic, pedestrians, distance), so I needed to find a better location for the night shot.

See the arrow on the attached for the night shot take off / landing. However, as with many streets in my neighbourhood, Chine Drive does not have sidewalks. So I had to park off the side of the road and launch from just behind my car. 🙁

It was dark so I kept my lights on. It's not a busy street, but I was constantly keeping an eye out for traffic and pedestrians.

Drone .jpeg

Here is the other shot I took before I called it quits.

DJI_0006.jpeg

Rob

Back