News   Jul 26, 2024
 991     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.7K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Post your ideas for a better Toronto.

The only thing I think will result in a better Toronto is for people to finally realize we're the richest city in one of the richest countries in the world. Stop with the sticker shock and accept that we could and should have better (whether it's better programs, infrastructure, or anything) if people weren't so concerned about cost. If we can't afford to build or do something, then who can?

"drive through" like a Tim Horton's drive through window.
So you're suggesting that every vehicle has to be equipped with "city supplied meters" that needs to drive through essentially a toll booth located on EVERY road that passes through the Toronto border? And this vehicle counter/toll booth costs $1000 per unit?

So you're suggesting that every vehicle has to be equipped with "city supplied meters" that needs to drive through essentially a toll booth located on EVERY road that passes through the Toronto border? And this vehicle counter/toll booth costs $1000 per unit?

More like there will be 25 cents added to the cost of your Happy Meal when you order it in a drive thru. It's not that complicated.

Although, I don't know why it even needs a meter, as it should be as easy as pressing a button on the cash register that adds 25 cents to your bill...

More trees and parks downtown. The burbs have it right but downtown is poorly lacking. Instead of developing every single lot into a new condo we should look at creating more public spaces.

Paper bags don't last 10,000 years, at least.

nope... but they are far more expensive to ship. i.e. depending on the bag etc, they may weigh up to 20 times more than a plastic bag... that means 20 times more GASOLINE to ship them from production/distribution/local retailer.

PLUS!!!... I now have to buy plastic bags for my garbage bags.... lol....

but all that being said, it has reduced the use of plastic bags no matter how you look at it, which is the real benefit.

nope... but they are far more expensive to ship. i.e. depending on the bag etc, they may weigh up to 20 times more than a plastic bag... that means 20 times more GASOLINE to ship them from production/distribution/local retailer.
Not to mention the tons of fuel, energy and resources to cut down all those trees and produce them into single-use paper bags.

Last edited:
Nobody is forcing you to use paper bags. In fact I rarely see paper bags at all.

If you're so concerned, try a reusable bag.

I've been using 3 eco-friendly fabric bags for almost a year now and they're still in fine shape, no plastic bags since well before the five cent charge. I always keep a couple folded in my knapsack so if I pick up things as I wander around at somewhere other than at a food store (say, Canadian Tire, clothing etc.) I carry it home in the fabric bag. It works fine the only problem is I have no bags for my garbage bin in the kitchen so I have to carry the bin to the garbage chute and sanitize it every couple of days in the bathtub which isn't a big deal but it's kind of time consuming.

Don't forget produce bags from the grocery as an alternative to disposable plastic bags, when necessary...

It works fine the only problem is I have no bags for my garbage bin in the kitchen so I have to carry the bin to the garbage chute and sanitize it every couple of days in the bathtub which isn't a big deal but it's kind of time consuming.
Our condo building has big signs at all the garbage chutes that all garbage must be sent down the chute in a properly tied plastic bag. While I'm not a fan of plastic bags and try to avoid them whenever possible, I can also understand that having loose garbage coming down a chute from hundreds of units would be rather nasty. And then there's the health issues relating to the chute itself -- how do you clean that?

In Toronto, and Canada in general we need more - trains, subways, green collar jobs, money infested in the creative economy, curb suburban sprawl, change developers mind set, more peace , more vision, cycling infrastructure , bus lanes, identity, art, trees , attention to detail, small scale as well as grand projects, less red tape, grass roots involvement, do it ... See Moreyourself mentality, less theory and more action, communication between different groups, greenbelt protection, food belt, urban farms, more roundabouts , electric cars, car sharing programs, car pooling, bike rentals , affordable mixed use communities, better architecture, canadian food other then poutine ect. and last but not least - no more waiting for somebody else to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back