News   Apr 24, 2024
 980     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

There are already laws pertaining to standing vehicles in the HTA:

“park†or “parkingâ€, when prohibited, means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when standing temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or passengers; (“stationnementâ€)

Parking on roadway

170. (1) No person shall park, stand or stop a vehicle on a roadway,

(a) when it is practicable to park, stand or stop the vehicle off the roadway; or

(b) when it is not practicable to park, stand or stop the vehicle off the roadway unless a clear view of the vehicle and of the roadway for at least 125 metres beyond the vehicle may be obtained from a distance of at least 125 metres from the vehicle in each direction upon the highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (1).

Idem

(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to a road service vehicle that is parked, standing or stopped safely. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (4).

Removal of vehicle parked at prohibited place

(7) Whenever a police officer, police cadet, municipal law enforcement officer or an officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of this Act finds a vehicle on a highway in contravention of this section or the regulations, he or she may move the vehicle or require the driver or operator or other person in charge of the vehicle to move it. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (7).

Vehicles interfering with traffic

(12) Despite the other provisions of this section, no person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway in such a manner as to interfere with the movement of traffic or the clearing of snow from the highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (12).

Penalty

(14) Every person who contravenes this section is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $20 and not more than $100. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (14).

Powers of officer to remove vehicle

(15) A police officer, police cadet, municipal law enforcement officer or an officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of this Act, upon discovery of any vehicle parked or standing in contravention of subsection (12), of a regulation made under subsection 26 (3) of the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act or of a municipal by-law, may cause it to be moved or taken to and placed or stored in a suitable place and all costs and charges for the removal, care and storage of the vehicle, if any, are a lien upon the vehicle, which may be enforced in the manner provided by the Repair and Storage Liens Act. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 28 (2).

I won't bother to post the other pertinent laws as they don't carry the same magnitude of fine or actions by police, but will say that signalling a turn or a stop (not signalling to stop is a different matter) is only required when there are other vehicles present.

Motor assisted bicycles, bicycles and tricycles, lights on, etc.

(17) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor assisted bicycle, bicycle or tricycle shall carry on the front thereof a lighted lamp displaying a white or amber light and on the rear thereof a lighted lamp displaying a red light or a reflector approved by the Ministry, and in addition there shall be placed on the front forks thereof white reflective material, and on the rear thereof red reflective material covering a surface of not less than 250 millimetres in length and 25 millimetres in width. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (17).

Penalty

(18) Every person who contravenes subsection (17) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not more than $20. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (18) .

As an avid cyclist it KILLS me to see people riding on the sidewalk. unless you are a kid (read 10 or under) you are old enough to ride on the side of the road.

As a pedestrian I refuse to move for these jackasses. If they bump me they usually get a "what the **** asshole" back from me.

It also kills me to see the way too cool for school kids on their bikes with ipods and no helmet or lights. They should be ticketed for each infraction.

Let's face it, education is the key. There are way too many people breaking bylaws and traffic laws everyday - both biking and driving (infront of my office at Spadina/Adelaide there are generally one or more cars/trucks parked on the SIDEWALK at numerous times throughout the day). With limited resources we can only ticket so many people. For biking an serious awaress program should be implemented - Ads, pamphlets, school talks. For drivers - well, put it this way. They had to take a test to get their license (unlike cyclists), maybe a campaign about the rules of the road goes out with their insurance renewal forms reminding them of what is right and wrong.

Education would help a lot, which includes clearly stating the fines for infractions. Drivers speed, but they usually don't speed excessively because they know there is large fine and demerit points. Nor do people go through red lights, even when there are absolutely no cars coming in either direction. Again, it's not necessarily due to safety, it's due to either feeling guilty or not wanting to suffer the consequences of getting caught.

I really think that education and the occasional crackdown on bad cycling habits would create the same combination of feeling guilty for breaking rules, and make cyclists more wary of the penalties if they are caught.

As a pedestrian I refuse to move for these jackasses. If they bump me they usually get a "what the **** asshole" back from me.

It also kills me to see the way too cool for school kids on their bikes with ipods and no helmet or lights. They should be ticketed for each infraction.

I usually try to take up as much space as possible, and weave all over the sidewalk when I see some asshole biking towards me.

I always think the brains of anyone stupid enough not to wear a helmet would not be wasted splattered on the pavement.

Back