News   Jul 24, 2024
 78     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 682     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 538     0 

Poll: What Should The New Eglinton/Scarborough LRT/Metro Be Called?

What Should The New Eglinton/Scarborough LRT/Metro Be Called?

• Eglinton Crosstown LRT

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Eglinton Metro

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Midtown LRT

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Midtown Metro

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Crosstown LRT

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Crosstown Metro

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Etobicoke-Eglinton-Scarborough LRT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Etobicoke-Eglinton-Scarborough Metro

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 18 19.4%

• Total voters
I guess if your a car-driving NIMBY who doesn't have to drive anywhere near the area during rush-hour it's a gain. But I fail to see how no transit is better than the Rapid Transit that has been cancelled.

SELRT wasn't rapid transit anyway. You could just as easily implement a BRT on Sheppard East for a lot less money.

SELRT wasn't rapid transit anyway. You could just as easily implement a BRT on Sheppard East for a lot less money.
What you say makes no sense at all. The LRT would be faster (or certainly no slower) than the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), but the faster LRT is not rapid transit, yet the slower bus is rapid transit???

It's called lines-on-a-map-itis.

There is a gap. It might be filled, but probably won't be. Ever. But just in case, let's shoot ourselves in the foot to raise our chances to "slim" from "none".

I guess it's no different from literally shooting yourself in the foot ... if you have the sniffles and want to move up the triage queue.

It's called lines-on-a-map-itis.

There is a gap. It might be filled, but probably won't be. Ever. But just in case, let's shoot ourselves in the foot to raise our chances to "slim" from "none".

I guess it's no different from literally shooting yourself in the foot ... if you have the sniffles and want to move up the triage queue.

If Toronto is full of defeatists then you're right, Sheppard will never be finished. And we will never get a DRL either.

Robbed

If Rob Ford is a subway wizard. Why cant he leave the burbs with a semi-efficient transit system until he completes the core subways in 50 years. Im all for subways over LRTs. But this is by far the worst transit system i have seen anyone draw up for the City as a whole.

There are many "priority areas" that would have benefited from the LRT.

If Rob Ford is a subway wizard. Why cant he leave the burbs with a semi-efficient transit system until he completes the core subways in 50 years. Im all for subways over LRTs. But this is by far the worst transit system i have seen anyone draw up for the City as a whole.

There are many "priority areas" that would have benefited from the LRT.

Building LRTs to "priority areas" is what got us into this mess in the first place. That's not a transit policy.

The most important thing for Toronto is the DRL, hopefully one that reached up to Eglinton. That would relieve Bloor-Yonge and allow for a more decentralized subway system. Once you have the core subway network (Bloor-Danforth, Yonge-University-Spadina, Sheppard, Eglinton and DRL) then you can build a complementary LRT system (Jane, Finch, WWLRT, etc.) that won't overload any one part of the SYSTEM. That's also one of the problems. That we don't have a subway SYSTEM. It's just two point five lines right now.

Last edited:
Building LRTs to "priority areas" is what got us into this mess in the first place. That's not a transit policy.
That's also one of the problems. That we don't have a subway SYSTEM. It's just two point five lines right now.

I agree the core subway system needs to be created. But removing the LRT lines to the suburbs will have minimal impact in achieving that goal. Our governments refuse to fund transit properly and as a municipality you have to work with money you have.

If you're a mother of 5 children and the father comes home with one egg to feed the kids. Do you give it to the oldest? Or do you divide it evenly.

The Ford's Way's

If you don't like the Ford's Way's, they will tell you take the highway.

As for the "name" of the line, it should probably include "Eglinton", but then there's the issue that in Scarborough it will be over 5km away from Eglinton. I'm not sure whether people will be bothered by this. Are people bothered by the way the Danforth Line is a long way from Danforth in the east end?
Nope. People in the real world don't get hung up on technicalities the way people here do. Joe public will generally call it a subway and they'll barely be aware that it's technically LRT. If it walks like a duck...

My vote is for "Eglinton Line". That's what people will call it. Either that or "Blue line" if we start going by colour. Sure London has named lines but Toronto's names are so unweildy. Another good name - "Red line" for the DRL.

If you're a mother of 5 children and the father comes home with one egg to feed the kids. Do you give it to the oldest? Or do you divide it evenly.
He eats it himself because Children's Aid took the kids away and his wife left him.

Let me toss another definition into the discussion:

Subway - Anything with frequency better than every 5 minutes

A lot of North American cities run their "subway" lines at 20 minute or worse frequencies at rush hour. Imagine the reaction on this board if we were to build an Eglinton subway in Toronto, but run trains on it only once every 20 minutes.

Let me toss another definition into the discussion:

Subway - Anything with frequency better than every 5 minutes

A lot of North American cities run their "subway" lines at 20 minute or worse frequencies at rush hour. Imagine the reaction on this board if we were to build an Eglinton subway in Toronto, but run trains on it only once every 20 minutes.

Using frequency is an interesting metric. However, I still think that the definition for a subway should be "a completely grade-separated rail-based transit line that runs primarily underground".

Back