News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 454     0 

Poll: Do you have a stronger connection with Southwestern or Eastern Ontario?

To which Ontario region do you have stronger ties?

• Southwestern Ontario (519)

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Eastern Ontario (613)

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Pretty much the same for both

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
All fixed (and here's a vote for the 519).

Another thing related to this I'm wondering, is for Torontonians that leave the city and settle down elsewhere in Ontario that's beyond the GTA, if the 519 or the 613 is a more popular place to buy a house and raise a family?

Another thing related to this I'm wondering, is for Torontonians that leave the city and settle down elsewhere in Ontario that's beyond the GTA, if the 519 or the 613 is a more popular place to buy a house and raise a family?

519 is a bit closer and the parts of it closest to Toronto are more heavily populated.

Are you including Muskoka in the North?

I guess so. I tend to think of Northern Ontario as "beginning" roughly around that area or maybe where Algonquin Provincial Park is.
Though some people I guess call that Central Ontario, but then such a definition of Northern Ontario would have even fewer people and even less of a connection to Toronto or the GTA.

From my experience, it does seem like northward of Muskoka, the influence/connection to the GTA definitely diminishes a lot, especially once the role of "cottage country" for Torontonians (which plays a major link between the areas) isn't as prominent. I don't think somewhere near Sudbury has much of a connection to the GTA as the two areas of Ontario in your poll.

Northern Ontario to me starts at Still River, a little hamlet near the Georgian Bay that's mostly just a bunch of abandoned motels. I see the boundary as mostly the transition from tourism based economy of cottage country to more forestry and mining based. So from that POV makes sense for it to start at Still River.

There's definitely a stronger Toronto socio-cultural spillover into the 519 than there is towards the 613, so I think everyone from the GTA should have a stronger connection with SW Ontario than with the East (for whom they have Ottawa as their influence, which is undoubtedly a unique city)

London and Windsor maybe not so much, but K-W and Guelph have hordes of people moving in from Toronto. That's obviously a key component in making that region "more like Toronto." I also look at how the houses look in SW Ontario, both old and newly built, and they honestly look no different from houses in suburban Toronto.

In many respects, Queen's and Western universities are mirror images of each other, in eastern and southwestern Ontario respectively.

Back