267     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 524     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 626     1 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
He says he'll find "efficiencies". Generally when politicians say that, what they really mean is that the money doesn't exist and isn't coming (ahem: gravy train). So i wouldnt believe him unless Hudak can give us specific details of where he'll find tens of billions of dollars of efficiencies.

Like the selling of excess lands, efficiencies seems only a part of what he is proposing would pay for his plan. We need to keep in mind that $2B a year is a very very small percentage of the province's budget.

The quote above is not the same? Come on man. Hudak has no plan to pay for this. He should win but he won't.

Not even close....in one I corrected the statement someone made that Hudak was planning to fund his plan completely from the sale of excess land/property....and in the other I corrected someone else who quoted him as saying the plan would happen when money is available.

I don't think the Hudak plan is right, I don't think it works, I don't think it solves the problem.....but I don't think the discussion is advanced by lying about what he is saying.

We have a defecit of 8 billion. It will be difficult at best to justify it.

A deficit that the current government tells us will be eliminated before any plan (Liberal or Conservative) needs money....and they say we can do this with our current levels of spending and taxation.....so the deficit does not come into it....unless, of course, it is not true that we will be out of deficit as promised.

Not even close....in one I corrected the statement someone made that Hudak was planning to fund his plan completely from the sale of excess land/property....and in the other I corrected someone else who quoted him as saying the plan would happen when money is available.

I don't think the Hudak plan is right, I don't think it works, I don't think it solves the problem.....but I don't think the discussion is advanced by lying about what he is saying.
I do think the deficit elimination will not happen. Ontario is still hurting for the recession.
A deficit that the current government tells us will be eliminated before any plan (Liberal or Conservative) needs money....and they say we can do this with our current levels of spending and taxation.....so the deficit does not come into it....unless, of course, it is not true that we will be out of deficit as promised.

Like the selling of excess lands, efficiencies seems only a part of what he is proposing would pay for his plan. We need to keep in mind that $2B a year is a very very small percentage of the province's budget.

I might have mentioned before that I was in property management. I work for Public Works for the Federal government at Sheppard-Yonge. Selling land and government asset is a proven model. It does work. Even the Joseph Sheppard building who still looks crown owned was sold and we save lots of $$$ on O & M. Besides the Parliament district, pretty much everything else was/is fair game. We sold and are still selling so much crown owned buildings and land that we had to change from managing property to facility managing which is way less expensive and we make a lot of money by selling our buildings. We're out of the business of owning building and we rent instead. It's a proven model and on that front, Hudak can't fail.

Last edited:
Okay

The Sheppard extension will be 4.5 billion
DRL (Dundas West to Flemo Park) - 7.4 billion
Yonge Extension 1.5 billion
Bloor Danforth to Sherway -700 million

14 billion dollars. Where are the efficiencies?

Wynne's plan would have been more credible if it was Horwath's idea. The Liberals are the wrong people to be selling it. Their credibility has sunk to an all time low.

I might have mentioned before that I was in property management. I work for Public Works for the Federal government at Sheppard-Yonge. Selling land and government asset is a proven model. It does work. Even the Joseph Sheppard building who still looks crown owned was sold and we save lots of $$$ on O & M. Besides the Parliament district, pretty much everything else was/is fair game. We sold and are still selling so much crown owned buildings and land that we had to change from managing property to facility managing which is way less expensive and we make a lot of money by selling our buildings. We're out of the business of owning building and we rent instead. It's a proven model and on that front, Hudak can't fail.

I am not the guy opposed to selling off excess properties....I was just pointing out that Hudak is only making this part of his plan....others suggested it was all of the plan.

Are they going to sell the 401 too?
A Progressive Conservative government would fund new public transit with a $2 billion-a-year “Ontario Transportation Trust†bankrolled in part by selling surplus lands and provincial buildings, says leader Tim Hudak.

With an election expected as early as next spring, Hudak said Thursday his administration would impose “no new taxes†to pay for much-needed subways and road improvements.

“We can do better. What’s needed is a new partnership between cities and the provincial government, one with big ambitions, shared goals and specific, measurable plans to achieve real results,†he wrote in the forward of a 27-page policy discussion paper, entitled: “Building Great Cities.â€

It’s the latest in a series of more than a dozen so-called “white papers†the Tories have been releasing with an eye toward a 2014 election platform.
http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...ories_unveil_2_billionayear_transit_plan.html

Wynne's plan would have been more credible if it was Horwath's idea. The Liberals are the wrong people to be selling it. Their credibility has sunk to an all time low.

Probably. But the thing is, and I did a high count to be fair, but I don't think Ontario has the 14 billion dollars. Add in the Pearson extension and then it becomes 18 billion, because Hudak will would want the westward extension underground. If he was smarter, he would bring Eglinton West on on Dixon as it is denser.

Are they going to sell the 401 too?

Again...what value is there in painting a false picture of what he is saying. Critique what he is saying, sure...there is lots of ammo there....but where, anywhere, is there a hint/notion/quote that the 401 is being considered for sale by anyone?

I think Hudak is looking towards this plan.
ttcV5.jpg

I also think there will be discussion of Eglinton going to HRT.

Attachments

• ttcV5.jpg
    ttcV5.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 459
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back