News   Mar 28, 2024
 86     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 225     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

The problem is once they become PRs, you can't force people to live somewhere. It would violate charter rights. I believe that most of us are not okay with the government restricting where we can live. I know that I am not.

*notwithstanding clause enters the chat*

Don't see why we have to save every single 2 horse town in the country. If a place can't attract residents, let it die. We've let company towns go under for most of our history. Why is it suddenly important to sustain these places?

Immigration will sort it itself out when the LPC loses the next election. They seem to be totally clueless to the impacts on healthcare and housing this is causing. And they will wear it at the polls.

Going to have to find some opposition then.
It happens to all governments. They eventually get tired and lose. Same with these guys. They are starting to lose touch and are getting more and more paralyzed. Reminds me very much of the last few months of the Wynne Liberals.

It happens to all governments. They eventually get tired and lose. Same with these guys. They are starting to lose touch and are getting more and more paralyzed. Reminds me very much of the last few months of the Wynne Liberals.
I'm not really convinced CPC will go all-in on anti-immigration though. It's a fine line for them to walk if they don't want to lose Brampton/Markham/Burnaby/etc, the places they need to win if they want to form government.

1670371308981.png

Bit of a listicle.

Not a bad stat, per se; but not overly useful either.

Important to note several publications have variations on this stat and Canada is pretty much always in the top 10, but it moves well up and down the list as various publications tally different underlying data and weight it differently from one to the next.

Equally important to note, Canada tends to rank highly on such lists irrespective of whether team blue or team red is in power, meaning its not particularly attributable to any given party or PM.

Last note, I had a quick dig in a few of these, and it seems the most common basis is a survey of some sort, either of the broader public, or economists or CEOs.

Important to note the bias of the group surveyed; and also a general bias that familiarity favours some countries over others.

Last edited:

Let's see what the ranking is after the real estate crash plays out. Canadian banks may not even be sufficiently capitalized for the rising rates:

I don't think people understand what is coming. This could be as painful as the late 80s, early 90s. Only this time, we have substantial long term macros that might make things worse. From demographics to peak oil. I'm not at all optimistic. And I don't think the average voter or politician understands or even cares about these challenges.

Also, what do the rankings on these lists mean, when we still have a housing crisis, healthcare falling apart, flat productivity growth, and high reliance on FIRE sectors and resource extraction?.

Last edited:
Let's see what the ranking is after the real estate crash plays out. Canadian banks may not even be sufficiently capitalized for the rising rates:

I don't think people understand what is coming. This could be as painful as the late 80s, early 90s. Only this time, we have substantial long term macros that might make things worse. From demographics to peak oil. I'm not at all optimistic. And I don't think the average voter or politician understands or even cares about these challenges.

Also, what do the rankings on these lists mean, when we still have a housing crisis, healthcare falling apart, flat productivity growth, and high reliance on FIRE sectors and resource extraction?.
Toronto and Ottawa will be some what protected however it will hit other parts of the country really hard.

Toronto and Ottawa will be some what protected however it will hit other parts of the country really hard.

If anything, I can see Toronto being hit hard relating to rising interest rates.

Toronto is already overheated and people are overextended. There are more than a few speculators in the Toronto market that will be affected by this. Buy low, sell high does not bode well when the low and high involves interest rates.

Keep in mind, all those people with investment properties and STR's will suddenly be finding themselves paying alot more than they did when they bought the properties. This is a far bigger problem in Toronto and Vancouver than it is in Ottawa, Saskatoon, Halifax or even Alberta.

If rates keep rising, I can see bubbles bursting in Toronto and Vancouver. Expect prices to plummet when people start running for the door.

The centre of the FIRE economy will be protected? I have doubts.....

FjSzuosXoAEODEr

And here's more warning signs flashing for the country as a whole:

FjOEX3yXwAIW2d8

The idea that this won't hit the economy in Toronto, heavily dependent on finance and real estate, seems naive.

Maybe Ottawa fares marginally better. But I foresee that city stagnating as the government seeks to tighten its belt.

I don't think most of the country understands what is coming. It's a bit of Wile E. Coyote moment right now. A lot of folks don't realize there's no ground under them. I expect, we'll start to see pain in 2023, as the layoffs and foreclosures start.

FjSzuosXoAEODEr

FjOEX3yXwAIW2d8

The idea that this won't hit the economy in Toronto, heavily dependent on finance and real estate, seems naive.

Maybe Ottawa fares marginally better. But I foresee that city stagnating as the government seeks to tighten its belt.

I don't think most of the country understands what is coming. It's a bit of Wile E. Coyote moment right now. A lot of folks don't realize there's no ground under them. I expect, we'll start to see pain in 2023, as the layoffs and foreclosures start.

FjSzuosXoAEODEr

FjOEX3yXwAIW2d8

I am talking more if we have a recession you will Alberta hit very hard.not just housing.

Back